procedure "engine motoring"

quereataro

I am sorry to seem ignorant regarding this subject but I've encountered this problem upon my first attempt to fly the TBM. Unfortunately it may be my 72 years but I find NOWHERE the  procedure "engine motoring" which is the message I am receiving every time I load the airplane. It is not referenced in any of the documentation I received upon buying this aircraft.  After having it ONE day, I have asked for return, de-activation and refund and was told T@A says none. in any of the documentation I received upon buying this aircraft.  after spending $114 I am stuck. 

Can anyone help this old guy out?

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 5:54 AM, quereataro said:

I am sorry to seem ignorant regarding this subject but I've encountered this problem upon my first attempt to fly the TBM. Unfortunately it may be my 72 years but I find NOWHERE the  procedure "engine motoring" which is the message I am receiving every time I load the airplane. It is not referenced in any of the documentation I received upon buying this aircraft.  After having it ONE day, I have asked for return, de-activation and refund and was told T@A says none. in any of the documentation I received upon buying this aircraft.  after spending $114 I am stuck. 

Can anyone help this old guy out?

Hi @quereataro,

I'm only 62, but I feel like I'm catching you up!

I apologise for the lack of quality/timely responses to your post; there was a time when things were different around here (very different), but TBM 900 support appears - for all intents and purposes - to have all but dried up completely, which is a pity because in my opinion it's still the best all-round aircraft for folks wanting a realistic experience when operating out of smaller fields.

To answer your question, engine motoring refers to turning the engine over using the starter, but keeping the ignitors off and fuel flow shut off. If you engage the starter with the ignitors and fuel off it runs (off memory) for 30 or 60 seconds and then cuts off - or you can shut the starter off manually by pressing the starter switch to the lower position ("abort").

The procedure is necessary in 2 scenarios:

1. If your're wantng to start the engine again shortly after stopping it when the ITT (Inter Turbine Termperature) is still above 150 degrees C (ie the engine is too hot to start normally), or

2. The combustors are flooded with fuel (eg the throttle has been opened with the Aux Boost Pump turned on, but the starter and/or ignitors not turned on) which would result in an excessively hot start if ignition were to occur.

In both cases simply turn ignitors off - keep the throttle in the cut-off position - and engage the starter for about 30 seconds. Wait 1 minute for the starter to cool a little - then attempt a normal start.

It's a complex aircraft to master - and it's modelled very accuratly - so "if in doubt" download the actual flight crew manual for the aircraft (which detaiils the motoring procedure - and every other procedure). There are also some excellent YouTube videos from a chap called JasonTBM (who is the owner of the aircraft this model was designed against); one in particular shows the correct starting, taxi, takeoff, and climbout of the sim. If you can't find it let me know and I'll look for it for you.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJSouthern said:

TBM 900 support appears - for all intents and purposes - to have all but dried up completely

Forum support has always been best effort, but there’s not been many posts tbh. As far as development support, an update for X-Plane 12 will be worked on in the coming months. Priority has been/is the CL-650.

4 minutes ago, Pils said:

Forum support has always been best effort, but there’s not been many posts tbh. As far as development support, an update for X-Plane 12 will be worked on in the coming months. Priority has been/is the CL-650.

I understand that, but a cursory read-through what has been posted reveals few replies and even fewer genuinely helpful ones (TBH, many appear to be on a scale labeled "short & unhelpful" at one end through to "snarky and condescending" at the other.

I could be wrong, but I have to wonder if it's not so much the CL-650 "being the priority" as it is a negative experience for many in the TBM900 forum turning it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. If it's the former then there's probably not a lot I can do. If it's the latter then (I hope) there's still an opportunity to expend a little effort and show a little kindness to those who struggle with the aircraft (like I did initially) and rebuild the community.

I feel the frustration of those having issues; they do a bit of Googling - end up here - post perfectly reasonable questions - and receive nothing of use in reply. If this lack of support is discovered by others pre-purchase then that will probably lost some sales too. From where I'm sitting it's just a lose/lose whichever way I look at it. And that's a pity IMHO.