TBM 900 - Unable to Get Crash Bar to Lock Open / Start Engines

pdibble

I recently purchased the TBM 900 aircraft and set it up successfully on my Mac / xPlane 11.  I took a few weeks off an and yesterday tried to start the TBM 900 up and could not get the Crash Bar to stay open.  I did some research on the internet and one use suggested that I delete and reload the TBM 900 files.  After completing that, I was able to get the Crash Bar to stay open but was unable to get the Starter to engage.

I validated that XPlane was operating correctly with a few different aircraft and have shut down and restarted XPlane a few times to see if that might have been the issue.

I do know that I did update the Mac OS to the new 12.6 between the time I successfully loaded and flew the aircraft, so I am not sure if that is the problem or not.

I am interested in upgrading to xPlane 12 but am holding off as I don't want to introduce more changes while I figure this issue out.

I would appreciate any thoughts / feedback.

PD

This is always a radical suggestion but you might try removing and reinstalling the aircraft. Often times there are 100's, if not 1000's, of files to install to comprise a product. It's conceivable that a file (or files) was misread during the installation process - even with the installer.

Whoever said computers don't make mistakes?

Edited by VirtualGAaviator
clarity

10 hours ago, pdibble said:

After completing that, I was able to get the Crash Bar to stay open but was unable to get the Starter to engage.

The TBM has persistent state tracking of the aircraft and requires you to treat it like it were your own real aircraft. If you leave things in the wrong state (like your battery), you will have drained it in that few week window you discussed. It tracks that time, even when the sim is not running.

You may want to check the Maintenance Manager, or create a new airframe in the Airframe Manager.

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:04 PM, Cameron said:

The TBM has persistent state tracking of the aircraft and requires you to treat it like it were your own real aircraft. If you leave things in the wrong state (like your battery), you will have drained it in that few week window you discussed. It tracks that time, even when the sim is not running.

You may want to check the Maintenance Manager, or create a new airframe in the Airframe Manager.

thanks all for your comments and suggestions.  i got everything working.  it appeared I had 'broken' my plane so i created a new aircraft and everything is working well again.  doing some flying and approaches in trying to get adjusted to the new aircraft.

PD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had the request to install Gizmo again, which I had the other week, and I just reinstalled the plane.  I saw an earlier thread with this.  Then, I had an inoperative starter, despite reinstalling, getting a new airframe and using a GPU.  I can't figure this out at all.  I deleted the TBM log.txt, but there is another file somewhere that holds details of my reg. no., etc., so I need to get rid of that.  It was all working perfectly a while back, but (like above), I updated to Monterey 12.6 - but that is unlikely to be a problem.  I haven't had any new Mac requests for permissions with the plane.  I know I've seen the other preferences file somewhere, but could you point me to it please?

Thanks @Pils.   I just never thought to look in there - and, of course, a few other of X-Aviation's vendors' planes output to "output".   I usually whip into that directory to either do something in the FMS folder, or X-Plane's preferences, and hardly glance at what else is lurking in there!

Deleting the maintlog and airframes files did the trick.  I have, once again, got a functioning turboprop :D