MU-2 for X-Plane 12 status.

tkyler

I have not officially begun to test / port the MU-2 to X-Plane 12; HOWEVER,  I have been testing it regularly in X-Plane 12 and the good news is that it seems at first glance....to be mostly functional....FOR.....daytime flight.  I say this because the biggest change in X-Plane 12 is the new atmospheric and lighting engine..and this requires new "directive commands" for lighting that were not present in X-Plane 11.  The nightlighting is practically non-existent until I make the required changes.  Also I have to make some notable changes to take advantage of the rain effects....so the V11 version "in V12" will not have the new windshield effects.  So....daytime and dry seems to be mostly OK using the V11 version in V12.  I know there are some turbine engine changes also I have yet to test...so unsure what their effect will be.

The plan is to get the next release patch, 2.0.3 out for V11 (relatively imminent), and then begin the official port / testing process for V12.  Probably will begin the work next Monday.  I do not expect it to be terribly long.  Chances are XP12 will go through some growing pains anyhow and I'll be right there alongside the process testing/tweaking the Moo.

Experienced XP users should know to keep their XP11 versions around until they're fully happy with V12.  :)

Here's a few screenshots of the Moo in V12.  Not terribly bad, but I may tweak it after I get going.  Things tend to look a little bit shinier in V12...but also brighter, which is good.

mu2_v12_1.jpg

mu2_v12_2.jpg

mu2_v12_3.jpg

mu2_v12_4.jpg

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 8

On 9/6/2022 at 10:08 AM, Matchstick said:

Is it safe to assume the Gizmo licensing system is working XP12 as well then ?

Yes Gizmo works in XP12. I did a fresh install on the MOO this afternoon and licensing works perfectly plus the MOO menus works as it should. First flight tomorrow if all goes to plan. 

Same here... Fresh install in XP 12 Folder and a quick test... it seems to work normally, of course a deep test and longer fly needs to be done to check all the functionality, but so far so good.

Happy to have extra aircraft to the default ones in XP 12!!!

Very good job thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

quick update.  Last week was a wash for the Moo XP12 conversion....the AP docs taking a bit longer than anticipated (but 95% done) ....and a few "transition obligations" were called in last week by companies I severed ties with but pledged "transition help" to not leave those groups hanging....including Laminar.   I fully expect to have the next 2.0.3 patch out in 2-3 days with the GTN option for the windows guys...and will roll right into the MU2 12 update.

-TK

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI for anyone interested.... just an example of some of the things the port process to XP12 entails...not just for me, but all devs.  This image shows illuminated surfaces both at night and during the daytime.  If you set these levels to look normal during the day, then they're currently a bit "blown out" at night.  If you set them to look good at night, they look washed out..darn near off during the day.  For myself...I have a way to code around this for all illuminated stuffs; however....because XP12 is in a public beta...there's a good chance this will get tweaked at some point in the near future..but of course this is just one issue amongst many issue being handled by Laminar.  

Tweaking the brightness of each of these elements takes a bit of time..and of course you have to check them in the sim....so when things change on Laminar's end, its causes another "round of tweaks" to be made.  If I make my own tweaks in code to make these look more correct....then such changes would probably be nullified by any changes Laminar makes and cause me to have to "go back and change" all the stuff yet again.  So the protocol is to "report it" and let the item wait its turn in Laminar's work queue.

...doesn't mean I can't work on liveries...or other special effects in the meantime....but just an FYI about the nature of the public beta and how us devs have to wait before we can make the changes we need to.  

-TK

challenges.png

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 4

On 7/9/2022 at 15:42, XST said:

Lo stesso qui ... Nuova installazione nella cartella XP 12 e un test rapido ... sembra funzionare normalmente, ovviamente è necessario eseguire un test approfondito e un volo più lungo per verificare tutte le funzionalità, ma finora tutto bene.

Felice di avere velivoli extra rispetto a quelli predefiniti in XP 12!!!

Ottimo lavoro grazie!

Su Xplane12 non funziona   mi dice che deve essere aggiornato GIZMO  

I purchased the MU2 last night because I wanted to support the developer and Because I love this plane. Although there are a few issues with XP12 , as I expected, It flew great and all the important things worked, which was a pleasant surprise! I love this plane! Looking forward to the next update, But by all means take your time. Its completely usable as is.

Rob

I'm really excited by what I'm seeing with XP12...visually...though its still WIP on both my and Laminar's end.  The following video shows testing of the rain effects and lighting issues.  The rain effect is exaggerated in this video for purposes of testing...so the 'deluge' on the window is more than the sky is putting out.

Also...the lighting between night/day...specifically through dusk/dawn isn't quite up to speed.   Laminar is aware and as mentioned earlier...on their list at some point to evalute and hopefully tweak. 

In the following video of the rain effect...I also use the K/L keys to cycle through the time of day.....to just before and after sunset...and you can see how the lighting intensity is still needing some Laminar love....BUT....you can see the potential.    The capture is 20fps...so the video looks a bit rougher than what I'm seeing on my end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y23n1th42r9b7i/rain_effects.mp4?dl=0

TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, tkyler said:

In the following video of the rain effect...I also use the K/L keys to cycle through the time of day.....to just before and after sunset...and you can see how the lighting intensity is still needing some Laminar love....BUT....you can see the potential.    The capture is 20fps...so the video looks a bit rougher than what I'm seeing on my end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y23n1th42r9b7i/rain_effects.mp4?dl=0

TK

Thanks for the video TK... very informative.

This is somewhat off topic, but it may help your users in the future.

I have a DropBox account and noticed that you used it to download the video file, and I was thinking: "Hey, what a quick way to get a point across, if I have a problem with the MU."

I tried to record an X-Plane video with (Ctrl - Spacebar) which creates an AVI file in: "E:\X-Plane 12\Output\screenshots\" but the results had NO SOUND and there is no obvious place to add sound to the stock video recorder. (at least I wasn't able to find it)

I can use VideoLan to convert .AVI files to the .MP4 files so that is not an issue.

Thanks for any help

I have a dedicated screencapture software for Mac called "Screenflick" that captures video and sound.  I'm not sure of a decent one for Windows.  Some more known names that come to mind are Camtasia and videosolo....but those may be overkill. 

-TK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So just an FYI update.  I've been working on IXEG stuffs while Laminar tweaks the Release Candidates.  I've held off updating the Moo further yet because   1)....I've worked for Laminar...and I know the kinds of changes that can be made in the early RC runs and 2)...it actually runs tolerably in V12.   Once Laminar and most devs are suitably confident the lighting settings are stabilized or close to final,  I'll turn some focus back to the Moo to see where things stand and what needs attention.  The lack of liveries isn't lost on me, I know its a tough UV layout.   That will get addressed in some fashion also.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, tkyler said:

So just an FYI update.  I've been working on IXEG stuffs while Laminar tweaks the Release Candidates.  I've held off updating the Moo further yet because   1)....I've worked for Laminar...and I know the kinds of changes that can be made in the early RC runs and 2)...it actually runs tolerably in V12.   Once Laminar and most devs are suitably confident the lighting settings are stabilized or close to final,  I'll turn some focus back to the Moo to see where things stand and what needs attention.  The lack of liveries isn't lost on me, I know its a tough UV layout.   That will get addressed in some fashion also.

-tkyler

any possibility to add windshield rain by default?

On 12/11/2022 at 8:07 AM, mirlo1 said:

any possibility to add windshield rain by default?

Its already in place.  you can see it in THIS VIDEO.  (if the link is working...seems to be down atm)....anyhow, the effect is a bit exaggerated for testing purposes.  I may put in a preference that lets you set how "much" rain you want on the windshield...its pretty subjective on how much rain one expect to see on the glass for a given level of rain.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 2