The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

I'd be inclined to agree that a Garmin 430 is out of place on any Beaver, it just wrecks that antique look IMHO...

Of course, what I wouldn't be against seeing would be something like a glare shield mounted Garmin GPSMAP 196 or something from the Aera series. But, I do understand why you would place a 430 in, especially since it is an easy fit due to the X-Plane included 430...

• Upvote 1

I hear what you are saying, but most of the Beavers operated in a commercial environment today are equipped with a GPS. Either, one sitting right on top of the pilot panel, a Garming G430 at exactly the location you see here or even more sophisticated stuff on the co-pilot panel.

However, I am an historic aircraft and warbird buff myself, and love the old style cockpits with more or less no avionic displays in there. Also a used, but not beat up, cockpit look is great. So please don't assume that this will be the only cockpit style.

...and nope, the Beaver wouldn't SCOFF at me.

Just relax and wait for more shots and info. :D

More work on the "co-pilot" panel.

A few small things still missing on the panel and instruments, but work on the seats and interior will start very soon.

By the way, this is the panel for the amphibious version and everything is 3D.

Can't wait to start my extensive flight test and development program, spending HOURS in it :)

...but still some time away. It needs to be completely finished and textured and then I have to properly animate and export everything.

Hope you like it....even with the Garmin sitting on the panel so far ;)

wip13t.jpg

Mate, with screenshots like these you might have to put an R18 warning in the topic header!!!!

You know how much I like this and you know how much I want this......nothing left to say really :)

Looking forward to any other screenies that you might want to share with us......but only if you have the time to do them :)

Slainte.

Andy

NZCH

So many planes with big radial engines are being developed right now! I'm looking forward to this one especially! Right up there with the LES DC-3. Good to know you're doing plugin generated custom sounds too. Nothing sounds quite like an R-985 starting up. Consequently, that sound is very hard to replicate in a sim.

Good luck! -NR

Get that Garmin out of there. The "Immortal" Beaver to which you refer would SCOFF at you putting a 430 in that beautiful panel!

Funny story,

The B17 bomber group is in concord, NC this week and I went down late in the week to see with a buddy that worked there.. Turned out the weather was horrible and he called me up. He said all the old guys climbed down their ladders as he was chocking up the plane. He said they were nice guys real polite. One of the older gentlemen asked if wanted to walk in and see everything. He said sure i'll go. So he proceeded to ask about the instrumentation and ask the guy if they still navigated the old way. He said, heck no thats what the gamin 530 is for. He said they have the 530 with xm weather, and tcas updates through ads-b. I was like thats pretty slick. Flying one of the oldest war bombers with a brand new 530 in it.

JB

I only meant my comment in jest. I love old-school aviation, but totally realize technology's place in the cockpit. I always fly with my iPad and use GPS on nearly every cross-country flight I take - its safer, more reliable, and easier to use. The Beaver is a workhorse, and its only goal is to accomplish the mission. If the GPS helps get it there quicker and more safely, then more power to it!

I can't express in words the excitement I have for this plane! I love the plain orange of your renderings and I hope you do a livery in this color. Here's a link to an article and video about Kenmore Air and their fleet of Beavers and Otters. I'd love to see a livery for "66Z" in your livery folder. If not, at least a paint kit for us to paint up our own would be appreciated. You may have to be an AOPA member to view the article:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2011/november/f_kenmore.html?WT.mc_id=111104epilot&WT.mc_sect=tts

I believe AOPA membership is still only $35 a year. Well worth the investment!

Edited by steven winslow

I can't express in words the excitement I have for this plane! I love the plain orange of your renderings and I hope you do a livery in this color. Here's a link to an article and video about Kenmore Air and their fleet of Beavers and Otters. I'd love to see a livery for "66Z" in your livery folder. If not, at least a paint kit for us to paint up our own would be appreciated. You may have to be an AOPA member to view the article:

http://www.aopa.org/...&WT.mc_sect=tts

I believe AOPA membership is still only $35 a year. Well worth the investment!

Glad you like the Beaver so far. It is funny that you ask for 66Z, because I have that livery on my list.

However, I want to ask Kenmore Air if I may use their livery, as I am not sure if it is allowed to use any paint job. I am kinda new in this business and don't want to do anything stupid. ;)

Kenmore Air supported me with some nice cockpit pictures, so I hope that isn't a problem either.

As for the paint kit, I am planning to release a color neutral white livery as well, without any placards or paint on it, so everybody can create her or his favorite livery, if there is a need to do so. I know that you would like to do that.

Hey ! On the last screen I can see the blades !

Could we have a close up of that prop ? She is awesome !

Great work thought.

Oh, you would like to see the prop.....hmmmm...let me see what I can do.....give me an hour ;)

Edited by Pete