The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Hi everybody,

This is the Work In Progress thread of the DHC-Beaver, developed by SoulMade Simulations.

All future Work in Progress pictures will be presented here.

I am really into bush flying, besides Warbirds, and therefore it was an easy choice to develop a great add-on for the world's greatest bush plane.

The DHC-2 will feature:

- an accurate and detailed visual representation of the aircraft

- a 3D cockpit with all siwtches, lever, knobs working like in the real aircraft

- an accurate flight model

- custom systems simulation, by using plug-ins

- custom sound by using plug-ins, and not just the engine. You will hear much more!

- things I don't want to reveal yet

I will talk about them, when the time is ready for it.

I lately spent a small fortune on flight manuals, maintenance manuals, parts manuals, weight nan babalance manuals, you name it, in order to develop the most accurate simulation for this aircraft.

Modelling started about a week ago and here are a few first shots, of a few evening of modelling.

I hope you like them. Keep in mind, that these are very early shots and that detail is of course missing, but since things are progressing fast, you will see it very soon.

wip01.jpg

wip02x.jpg

wip03.jpg

Pete

Edited by Pete
  • Upvote 2

For an early render it is quite good work. I hope to fly this when it is released.

Here is a resource you may be interested in:

http://avialogs.com/index.php/BookLibrary/Technical-manuals/Aircrafts/D/De-Havilland-Canada/DHC-2-Beaver

If you get an account on the site you can download as many manuals as you want, and you can make requests for the owner, Benoit, to post more manuals, etc...

You will see the amphibious version, probably a pure float version, a regular tire version and one with tundra tires. A ski version is not planned so far, but that doesn't mean that it will not be done.

If everybody on this thread would like to have one, there is a good chance that there will be a ski version.. :)

There are so many different variations that could be made...

I'm currently looking at a poster I have that is mounted on a piece of particle board (can't remember what they call that technique at the moment), on special order equipment and arrangements for the Beaver. Different cabin seating setups, stretcher holders, belly camera mounts, dual flying controls, dual rudder pedals, sliding cockpit and cabin windows, etc...

There are so many different variations that could be made...

I'm currently looking at a poster I have that is mounted on a piece of particle board (can't remember what they call that technique at the moment), on special order equipment and arrangements for the Beaver. Different cabin seating setups, stretcher holders, belly camera mounts, dual flying controls, dual rudder pedals, sliding cockpit and cabin windows, etc...

That's correct and every cockpit is more or less unique.

I will focus on a passenger and a cargo version.

Definitely one of my favorite a/c, Top 3 as for monoprops. K&I did seriously consider doing one, but we dismissed the project for...lots of reasons - the main one being that the flight model will be a pain a the a*** to achieve, because of stall caracteristics and low torque behaviour ("hands off plane") that would require lots and lots of work to be done "the right way".

Very nice project indeed. You did not mention if that's gonna be freeware or payware ?

I just finished painting an RC version of the Beaver for a friend, got me interested in getting one....now I guess I wont have to wait anymore as someone is doing a really decent version, if the screen shots are anything to go buy!

Guess this one will also need some space in virtual hangar!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Definitely one of my favorite a/c, Top 3 as for monoprops. K&I did seriously consider doing one, but we dismissed the project for...lots of reasons - the main one being that the flight model will be a pain a the a*** to achieve, because of stall caracteristics and low torque behaviour ("hands off plane") that would require lots and lots of work to be done "the right way".

Very nice project indeed. You did not mention if that's gonna be freeware or payware ?

Yes, one of my all time favorites as well.

The flight model will not be easy, I agree, and it will require plug in coding. Good thing is that I can get input and feedback from a 5000+ hour Beaver pilot.

It will be payware, due to all the work that will go into it.

I just finished painting an RC version of the Beaver for a friend, got me interested in getting one....now I guess I wont have to wait anymore as someone is doing a really decent version, if the screen shots are anything to go buy!

Guess this one will also need some space in virtual hangar!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Glad you like it so far. More screenshots later today. :)