The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Sunday Beaver Update 19

Hey all,

Time for another update.

This week I completely re-worked the oil pressure, oil temperature and CHT simulation. I had a model in place last week, but when I started working on the CHT model, I discovered a few flaws with the old one, which made it hard to tune and enhance. Therefore, I needed to start from scratch, but I am very happy now.

The 3 models behave exactly like I want them to behave and they are of course dependent on each other. The CHT will have an impact on the oil temperature and the oil temperate effects oil pressure. Density, outside air temperature, airspeed, climb angle, etc.,all these things have an impact.

I also continued with my approach to have a realistic behaviour of temperatures. So to warm up the oil on a cold day really takes some time.

The coding of these models was one thing, but the tuning really took time. There a so many constants and factors to play with and to tune them in a way that all three model give reasonable and realistic numbers in any condition was not easy, but finally achieved the results I wanted and I am happy.

Maybe a little bit more tuning might be required in the beta phase, based on the input from the team, but I am confident that it won't be a lot.

So next is the Fuel System smile.png

You all have a great Sunday!

• Upvote 1

Hi Anariaq,

I took the GPS out for now and there won't be an option for now. However, if Laminar provides a more realistic GPS, I might consider it in an update. No promises though.

Well it is a good thing that Laminar finally is updating the GPS. http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/new-approach-capable-gps-navigator-in-x-plane-10-30/

Been to long with the old one. But fear that it will be pushed back to later release,

Sunday Beaver Update 20

This week I didn't work on the fuel system.

I worked on the initialization of the simulation. So what will the default cockpit looks like and what states the systems and switches have when you start the sim with engines running or cold and dark. Also the time of day will have an impact on the interiror lighting etc.

Then another major topic what engine malfunctions. I am not fully done with it, but you have to be careful to not abuse the engine. Malfunctions will not just be a "let's start a timer when you bust a limit and activate a malfunction". Engines state, envirmonmental conditions, system states all this will have an impact on when and how you will get into trouble. So you better wait until the engine has proper operating temperature until you go for higher power settings for example. wink.png

Thats it for today. You all have a nice weekend! 

• Upvote 3

Sunday Beaver Update 20

This week I didn't work on the fuel system.

I worked on the initialization of the simulation. So what will the default cockpit looks like and what states the systems and switches have when you start the sim with engines running or cold and dark. Also the time of day will have an impact on the interiror lighting etc.

Then another major topic what engine malfunctions. I am not fully done with it, but you have to be careful to not abuse the engine. Malfunctions will not just be a "let's start a timer when you bust a limit and activate a malfunction". Engines state, envirmonmental conditions, system states all this will have an impact on when and how you will get into trouble. So you better wait until the engine has proper operating temperature until you go for higher power settings for example. wink.png

Thats it for today. You all have a nice weekend! 

Thanks for all the updates! Sounds like progress is slowly inching forward

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sunday Beaver Update 21

Hey everybody,

I guess it is time for another Sunday Beaver update after such a long time without doing one. smile.png

Today, I would like to give you a sneak peak to the liveries that will come with the Beaver package and in addition to that another info about the release.

So I will start with the info: As you probably remember, my plan was to do a two step release for the Beaver. First a the regular tire version for $24.95 and then the full package (regular, cargo and amphibious) for $34.95, with a $5 discount for the people who bought the initial release.

I now made the decision, that there will be only one release and it will be the full package with all three versions and I won't be selling it for $34.95. It will be availabe for $29.95, so basically everybody will get the discount. wink.png

In addition to that info now the sneak peak. Sneak peak, because the liveries are not completely finished yet, but in a state that is very mature for showing. Once they are all finished, you will get more detailed In-Sim pictures.

Each version will come with two liveries, and then there will be a neutral diffuse map for texture painters to create as many liveries as they like.

Regular Version

DHC2LiveryRegular_zps19af729f.jpg

Cargo Version

DHC2LiveryCargo_zps5ed702c6.jpg

Amphibious Version

DHC2LiveryAmphibious_zps9a2b43ca.jpg

Neutral Diffuse Map for Texture Painters

DHC2LiveryNeutral_zps4d1250a4.jpg

I hope you like the update and also like what you see.

Again, I have to thank you all for your continuous support and patience, and I hope this update makes you aware that the project is still alive and that you will fly the SoulMade Simulations Beaver in X-Plane. biggrin.png

You all have a great Sunday!

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

Gear should be up in flight ^_^.

Anyway: This is the aircraft that caused me to come over to x-plane. Very good looking!

Will there be a Float-only-Version. That is the one mostly used in Canada and Alaska!

Happy landings!

DocBird

Edited by DocBird