Taxi Behavior Question

sardilli

Thanks @tkyler for so many great improvement in v2.0.2. The aircraft feels great to fly and it's great to see so many improvements, especially the ghost throttles. I have a few questions about the expected taxi behavior for the MU2:

1. Is it normal and expected to have to move the condition lever from taxi up to takeoff/land to get the aircraft to taxi more than 3-5 knots? It seems extremely slow to accelerate when attempting to taxi with the condition levers in the taxi position and modulating the power levers in the alpha range. I've followed the procedure in the checklist to take the props off of the locks.
  2. Is it expected for the turbine rpm to jump up to ~95% when the power levers are moved to the flight idle detent even when the condition levers are in the taxi position?
  3. It seems like the brakes do not fully release after being applied once. During the first pull away from a stop of a new sim session the airplane starts to move as expected but after using the toe brakes to come to a full stop once, far more thrust is required to pull away again from a stop. I have checked my hardware and nothing is sticking when I monitor my toe brake axes.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sardilli

32 minutes ago, sardilli said:

Is it normal and expected to have to move the condition lever from taxi up to takeoff/land to get the aircraft to taxi more than 3-5 knots? It seems extremely slow to accelerate when attempting to taxi with the condition levers in the taxi position and modulating the power levers in the alpha range. I've followed the procedure in the checklist to take the props off of the locks.

That does sound like props still on the locks, though you did mention that you followed the procedure to remove them from the locks.  When in ALPHA range and props off the locks, the torque meters should read about 15-17% at Flight idle and that should result in quite a bit of thrust and easily 10-20 knots taxi speed.  The only way to be sure is to turn on X-Plane's 'data blocks' for thrust and/or prop pitch.  

Is it expected for the turbine rpm to jump up to ~95% when the power levers are moved to the flight idle detent even when the condition levers are in the taxi position?

Yes.  There is a little blurb about why this is in the MU2 docs:  specifically in the section titled "condition levers operation"....the paragraph beginning with:  "For the most part....."

It seems like the brakes do not fully release after being applied once. During the first pull away from a stop of a new sim session the airplane starts to move as expected but after using the toe brakes to come to a full stop once, far more thrust is required to pull away again from a stop. I have checked my hardware and nothing is sticking when I monitor my toe brake axes.

I honestly couldn't say whats going on without looking at a bunch of dataref values simultaneously. ...i.e. braking values,  prop pitch, thrust values, etc.

TK

Thanks for the quick response. I was checking the operation of my rudder pedals using the graphical display in X-Plane but when looked at the dataref values for brakes it turns out that the right and/or left brakes were intermittently sticking at .1 or so when they should have been 0. This brake drag was causing slow taxing in #1 above and also the issue I described in #3. Guess I'll have to look at some new hardware or somehow setup X-Plane to ignore brake values below 0.15 since I apparently have noisy rudder pedals.