Throttles only move into beta zone when hardware throttle is nudged (single paddle)

I use a single paddle throttle (Logitech 3D) and previously on 2.0.1, I had no problems before as the 3D throttles would both lift and physically move themselves into the beta zone just by pressing the command I had set to lift them (I use the / key) when my hardware throttle was already set at say idle (all the way down).  With 2.0.2, now the throttles only lift and MOVE when the command is HELD and the hardware throttle is nudged - the 3D throttles do not move when the command button is just pressed - they only lift.  Is this intentional for this new update?  I followed the manual's instructions as I did before for 2.0.1 - the only thing different is that I changed the lower limit to 0.

Sorry if this is confusing, hopefully this video will explain better than I can over text.  Ghost throttles basically show what I mean.

7 hours ago, NorthwestOrient said:

I use a single paddle throttle (Logitech 3D) and previously on 2.0.1, I had no problems before as the 3D throttles would both lift and physically move themselves into the beta zone just by pressing the command I had set to lift them (I use the / key) when my hardware throttle was already set at say idle (all the way down).  With 2.0.2, now the throttles only lift and MOVE when the command is HELD and the hardware throttle is nudged - the 3D throttles do not move when the command button is just pressed - they only lift.  Is this intentional for this new update?  I followed the manual's instructions as I did before for 2.0.1 - the only thing different is that I changed the lower limit to 0.

Sorry if this is confusing, hopefully this video will explain better than I can over text.  Ghost throttles basically show what I mean.

Thats the way its supposed to work, doesnt behave like the Laminar reverse command. You hold the button till you pass the gate. Realisitc.

22 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

Thats the way its supposed to work

...given the checkbox "Auto stop power levers at detent", which you have checked, this is correct.  This is MODERN behavior.  What you are describing previously is LEGACY behavior, which does use the slash key.  

If you uncheck the "Auto stop power levers at detent",  and then set your power detent ratio to zero (which you DO in the video), then you should get the legacy behavior where you bring your hardware all the way back...and the 3D throttles go to Flight idle...then you hit the slash key....and your levers should lift and then moving your hardware lever forward should move the levers backwards into BETA towards reverse.  for LEGACY behavior, the upper and lower limits are not applicable..

For the update, the MODERN behavior is checked by default so that might be a bit confusing if you were previously set up for LEGACY.

This is the 'furtherest' I've gone trying to accomodate a lot of differing preferences...as the Moo quadrant operation is a bit unique...and I apologize for some of these teething pains, but I do feel we're converging towards enough flexibility that once its understood and setup, it will accomodate most preferences.

TK

Edited by tkyler

On 8/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, tkyler said:

If you uncheck the "Auto stop power levers at detent",  and then set your power detent ratio to zero (which you DO in the video), then you should get the legacy behavior where you bring your hardware all the way back...and the 3D throttles go to Flight idle...then you hit the slash key....and your levers should lift and then moving your hardware lever forward should move the levers backwards into BETA towards reverse.  for LEGACY behavior, the upper and lower limits are not applicable..

Well, I was previously using the MODERN behavior with 2.0.1, not the legacy behavior.  With that version, the 3D throttles both lifted and MOVED at the same time to match where my hardware throttle was set, so in this case leaving idle on the paddle and then pressing the command to lift the throttles moves the airplane's throttles into full reverse.  With 2.0.2 however it seems like it was changed, where the 3D throttles LIFT, but they do not MOVE to where the joystick throttle is already set, which they did in the previous version.  The manual itself says "the 3D levers will move to match your hardware throttle lever position."  They only do this now if the throttle on the hardware is nudged as seen in the video, where in the previous version, the 3D throttles would move WITHOUT the need for me to touch my hardware throttle. 

Hope this clarifies it a little bit more. 

Edited by NorthwestOrient

it does, but i'm starting to worry about too many options and 'band-aid' code as this seems to need yet another preference necessitating yet another GUI option and the more options, the more confusion to new users..... the more support and more documentation.  I'll think through this.   I don't want to make a quick change that results in even more documentation that folks won't read :P.    But yea...I'll give it a think.

TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 1

So I implemented another command here for "lift both power levers"  One is for dual hardware levers, the other for single.  The commands are now suffixed with _sp  and _dp  for "single paddle" and "dual paddle" respectively.   Because of the way x-plane maps their hardware axis assignment, this is the simplest solution and once configured, should be fine.

This means folks will have to remap their hardware to the new command though, but only a one time thing and should accomodate a broader range of preferences.

-TK