Introducing Remote CDU, the easy way to expand your CRJ cockpit

philipp

One simple question? How do I use it? There is no Readme 1.3 - nothing else that I could find that would tell me what URL to use in my mobile web browser.

I must be missing something...

In the Manual folder there is a pdf "Remote-CDU-howto.pdf". All is explained there.

Philipp

Thanks for the update, but I am having some problems here...

Updated to v. 1.3

First of, my OS (OS X) never asked if I wanted to accept connections.

Then, when I try to load the CDU IP from another device anyway, x-plane crashes immediately.

Tried accessing from the host itself and from an ipad.

THanks for your help :-)

First of, my OS (OS X) never asked if I wanted to accept connections.

This is quite possible if you already have another plugin running in X-Plane that also opens a network socket. Like XPUIPC for example, or the XHSI plugin, or ...

If you once allowed ANY X-Plane component to open a socket, it won't ask anymore.

Then, when I try to load the CDU IP from another device anyway, x-plane crashes immediately.

Can you post the report from the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console.app)?

Philipp

Thanks,

this is it.

Can you try to disable the vasFMC plugin temporarily (rename scs/mac.xpl zo scs/mac.xpl.backup) and try again? Looks like they are listening on the same socket when they shouldn't. Strange, because I have them running here as well.

We'll see.

Philipp

Looks like I shot myself in the foot :(

SCS (for vasFMC 2.10) is built with an ages-old option to disable the kqueue in order to make it work on OSX 10.4 (Tiger).

CRJ is built without this option, since we don't need to support anything older than 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Result: CRJ wants to use the kqueue, but SCS disabled it. Ouch!

The reason I didn't see it is I am running a custom build SCS. I will push an update to the vasFMC plugin ASAP, dropping the 10.4 Tiger support (i don't think anyone uses this anymore).

For the time being, keep SCS disabled.

Philipp

[...] and if it makes you want to buy an iPad, well, go ahead... Philipp

You`re so right, Philipp.

Run`s on iMac with OSX Lion besides my iPhone very well.

So, I`m looking out for a good used iPad (1st Gen).

But I don`t like the screen-ratio of it, because I got a white stripe on the right edge.

Also you loose a lot of space on top and bottom for the navigation-bars.

An iPhone/iPad would be awesome...

The problem is I can't set a fixed screen size, because the real FMS doesn't have the same dimensions as an iPad.

And also iPad is a tablet with 4:3 screen, most Android tablets are 16:10.

So I decided to stick with the widht/height ratio of the original graphic, and let the user pinch-to-zoom until it fits on his device, whether it is an iPad, GalaxyTab, Kindle Fire, or whatever...

Philipp

I've been looking forward to this update, but unfortunately for some reason it works on every computer I have except the one I really need it to work on - my original iPad. I just get a "waiting for connection" message, and it never connects. My Macbook Pro is on the same wireless network, and works fine. All my devices are on the 192.168.200 network, and I've confirmed that my iPad is connected to my network and has an IP address in the same range, but for some reason it just won't show anything other than this message. It even works on my iPhone without problems. I can't find anything on my iPad that is misconfigured, so I really have no idea why it won't connect when the network configuration is correct.

I've just recently got back into flight sims, and XP in particular, and have been enjoying the CRJ quite a bit. In the past, the performance on my older Asus Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz laptop wasn't very good, but for whatever reason it's actually running with frame rates in the 20s after I reinstalled WIndows 7 a couple of months back. On my i3 iMac with the crappy video card, it runs even better. It's a great plane, and rediscovering it over the last couple of weeks has been a fun escape from the stresses of work.

Hey,

did you try the MacBook, the iPhone and iPad all at the same time? Because that might be a problem. Demoing at FSWeekend we faced the problem that a lot of people connected to our WiFi because at first it had no password, and when we used Javier's tablet, it was so slow that it seemed it doesn't connect.

I shut down the WiFi access, secured it with a password, and made sure only Javier's tablet connected - voila, worked perfectly.

I think in your excitement you accidentally DDoS'd yourself by connecting many devices to the CDU. The remote CDU is thought as a remote control for ONE device. You rarely have three or four people with iPads sitting in your room all clicking on your FMS at the same time !

Other than that, I can't imagine why it would work on the iPhone, but not the iPad, since it is both a Safari browser after all.

Philipp

Hey,

did you try the MacBook, the iPhone and iPad all at the same time? Because that might be a problem. Demoing at FSWeekend we faced the problem that a lot of people connected to our WiFi because at first it had no password, and when we used Javier's tablet, it was so slow that it seemed it doesn't connect.

I shut down the WiFi access, secured it with a password, and made sure only Javier's tablet connected - voila, worked perfectly.

Actually, I tried it on the iPad first, and when it wouldn't connect, I then tried on the Macbook Pro, since it was also connected via wireless it seemed the best way to test any connectivity issues with the laptop running XP. It connected immediately, as did my iPhone. I also tested it from Safari on my iMac without issues.

After I sent this last night, I installed the CRJ on my iMac, and all my devices can display the CDU when XP is running on my iMac, but it still doesn't work on the iPad. I don't see anything in the network or browser configuration on the iPad that might explain the inability to connect, so I have no idea what's causing the connectivity issue. It's running the latest iOS release, and I even actually rebooted it to see if that made any difference, but nothing so far.

Before posting this, I thought I'd try a different browser on my iPad, so I downloaded Terra, and it works with it. I have no idea what's going on with Safari on my iPad, but I'll happily use a different browser if it will work. I'll try it out later today and see how it does.

• Upvote 1

The remote CDU uses Javascript. Nothing more. Is there by any chance an option to disable Javascript in mobile Safari that you ticked on the iPad?

Well, there's the answer right there. You'd think with all my years in IT I would have thought about Javascript, but instead I was digging through network settings expecting it to be somewhere in there. I don't recall ever turning off Javascript in Safari, but at some point it did get disabled. Re-enabled it, and now my remote CDU works. Thanks for that pointer. I look forward to trying it out later this evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Philipp

In my computter XP X64 running CRJ200 ver 1.3 this feature doesn´t work, when I try to connect with the browser (Chrome) the connection fails.

I disabled all the plugins that open sockets (XPFUIPC, HIDMacros,etc)

Also the windows firewall was disabled

What do yo think ? there are some regarding the XP X64 OS?

Many thanks in advance

Marcello

Hi Marcello,

just a few thoughts:

-You are sure the update process went well? To be absolutely sure, click Plugins->Plugin Admin->Plugin Information and make sure that under CRJAvionics the version string is 1.3.0 or 1.3.1. It happened to me more than once that I updated some plane but kept flying a copy I had put in another folder....

- Windows firewall might be blocking. Did you get the "Do you want this program to accept connections" window at first load of the CRJ? If not, there might be a permanent setting in the firewall configuration that interferes in some way. To clean up, open the Windows Control Panel -> System & Security -> Allow a program through Windows firewall. Click "change settings" and scroll the list to find X-Plane. Highlight X-Plane and Click "Remove". Click OK. This will remove any non-standard settings you might have set for X-Plane and will make sure the firewall asks again for permission at next CRJ load.

- Can you access the CDU on the same machine now, by entering http://localhost:18387 in Chrome? If it works there, we are sure it works on X-Plane's side, and from there on can address network problems while being sure it is not an X-Plane/CRJ problem.

Philipp

Hi Philipp

Now is working !

Removing the x-plane in the "exception" list in firewall configuration, and allowing unblock the program when x-plane is loading solved the problem

This is very strange because before this solution I made several tests shutting down the windows firewall and didn`t work.

Thank you very much and best regards

Marcello

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Old post I know but I am having a problem on my Ipad2 with remote cdu. On the CRJ-200

The connection works fine but I cannot resize it in either safari or a cloud browser.

It wont pinch and the bottom keys are just off screen. I can sometimes get the image to jump up and uncover the buttons but as soon as I make a key entry it drops down and hides bottom buttons again.

Any ideas at all please, web searches haven't produced any results so far.

Edited by Femke

Old post I know but I am having a problem on my Ipad2 with remote cdu. On the CRJ-200

The connection works fine but I cannot resize it in either safari or a cloud browser.

It wont pinch and the bottom keys are just off screen. I can sometimes get the image to jump up and uncover the buttons but as soon as I make a key entry it drops down and hides bottom buttons again.

Any ideas at all please, web searches haven't produced any results so far.

Try this: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=61737entry675389

The iPad FMS is designed to work in full screen.

When it is open in Safari, press the "Share" button left of the URL bar.

Select "To Home Screen". It will create an app icon.

Leave safari and open remote CDU via the new icon on your home screen. Then you'll have the CDU in full screen view without browser bar, and you'll see the bottom row of buttons.

:)

cessna729.