Datalink & clearance

KirkR

I saw Pilsner's reply to the Foxtrot Alpha Aviation video regarding D-Atis, ACARS, CPDLC and such ... that the Hoppie's Airborne client is not required.  What I would like to double check here, is my understanding, based on an example:

KDTW:
ACARS:  D-ATIS, PDC, TWIP;  CPDLC, DCL

If I am connected to VATSIM <and> if there is active ATC covering my location (KDTW, which would be either ATC @ KDTW or CLE Center ....... then I can get both ATIS <and> Clearance via Datalink in the CDU.

Just wanted to be sure before I jump in and start to exercise this online.

Bonus question:  What is the current capability (based on ATC capabilities within the US as a starter on my end), let's say via VATSIM (specific to CL650) regarding CPDLC?

Sorry, these questions may have been answered already, just say so and I'll look again.

Gosh ... I'm flying this jet nearly daily now, benefit of being retired.  Just fantastic.  And one day I'll have enough experience to be able to help others in this forum.

Edited by KirkR

The CL-650 is fully capable. But I’m unsure which ARTCCs, if any, on Vatsim are offering en route CPDLC. My understanding is there may be some facilities that will sign into Hoppie and offer PDC via ACARS, but it’s going to be controller-dependent, hit and miss. You’ll have to check their controller info every time to see (or just try it, I guess). To be sure none of it works like real life FAA CPDLC.

Ok I must have mis-understood your comment on the other forum, that Hoppie is not required.  Yet some Vatsim facilities are using it (possibly due to other aircraft needing it as not as capable as the CL650 systems)?

But also to clarify, are there some Vatsim facilities where I can get D-Atis and Clearance without Hoppie?  Do you happen to have a few examples in the US?  If not, I will report back if/when I find some, will start to develop a list.