*UNOFFICIAL* 4 BLADE MU2B Flight Model Modification 8/9/2022 update - V2.0.2 Compatible - DO NOT USE WITH XP12

CaptCrash

After doing a review of the flight model and taking a fine chisel to it I was able to get the Performance more in line with the POH cruise figures. The take off performance seems better but has not been evaluated. This mod is NOT supported by TOGA Simulations. They are aware of it. TOGA Simulations are not obligated to offer any form of technical support to a modified aircraft, so don't contact them. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR ACF YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. If you are not familiar with modifying the acf file with a text editor you will find this challenging but doable. You will find this very difficult to do if you aren't using notepad++. You will find this very easy if you use a file patching utility (https://www.google.com/search?&q=applying+diff+file+windows) or (https://www.google.com/search?q=applying+diff+file+mac).

Things this mod does:
1) New wing airfoils
2) New Prop and prop airfoils
3) New max power
4) Tuned prop governor
5) cruise performance TAS within 1% of POH values
6) Take off behavior more aligned with POH takeoff profile
7) *NEW* Added ventral and wing tank fins

Things this mod does NOT do:
1) alter fuel flows *NEEDS TOM*
2) modify the lua code
3) make the airplane easier to fly

Things to do:
1) validate takeoff performance
2) validate climb performance
3) Tune EGT more, you will be at 660C at FL200 and cruise power *REQUIRES TOM*
4) Tune CG *DONE*
5) Validate OEI performance
6) validate airfoils xplane parameters (theres some nuanced values which dont affect normal regime flight dynamics but should be adjusted for correctness, these will become more important as stall behavior is validated) *DONE*
7) validate stall behavior - suspected flap aero is the issue, will probably require custom flap lift controller

Things used to make this mod:
1) POH and AFM
2) Hartzell Aluminum Blade overhaul manual

Things that were tested:
1) Climb and Cruise TAS at POH settings for 10k, FL200 at 11,500lbs, FL310 11,000lbs

Instructions:
1) unzip the airfoils zip file into the following folder

X-Plane 11\Aircraft\X-Aviation\Mitsubishi MU-2 Marquise v2\airfoils

2) BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL ACF FILES. For those of you that want to use a patch file open the MU2_mod_unified.diff or the MU2_mod.diff and apply that patch file. MU2_mod_unified.diff is a context 0 unified diff file, the MU2_mod.diff is a WinMerg normal patch file. Proceed to step 4.

3) For the rest, I applaud your dedication, you will need to open the acf and manually modify the following (i highly recommend notepad++ for this)

DO NOT under any circumstances use planemaker to make the changes. Plane maker converts all the values on file open then reconverts the values on file save which WILL induce uncontrolled file changes. The more times you open any file in planemaker and save it, the more changes get imparted.

a) open the MU2_mod.diff file using notepad++
b) Each section is formatted in the following way

[start line number],[end line number]c[start line number],[endlinenumber
< old thing
---
> new thing

so for example

25621,25626c25621,25626
< P _wing/0/_Croot 0.500000000
< P _wing/0/_Ctip 0.583333313
< P _wing/0/_afl_file_R0 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
< P _wing/0/_afl_file_R1 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
< P _wing/0/_afl_file_T0 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
< P _wing/0/_afl_file_T1 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
---
> P _wing/0/_Croot 0.349166662
> P _wing/0/_Ctip 0.678333342
> P _wing/0/_afl_file_R0 NACA-2330.afl
> P _wing/0/_afl_file_R1 NACA-2330.afl
> P _wing/0/_afl_file_T0 NACA-0003.afl
> P _wing/0/_afl_file_T1 NACA-0003.afl

there was a change starting at line 25621 through lines 25626 the C means change. The change to be made are all the lines with ">" markers.
c) manually replace all the values in the acf with the ">" values. excluding the ">" markers and replace so for example at line 25621 to 25626 your acf will look like this:

P _wing/0/_Croot 0.500000000
P _wing/0/_Ctip 0.583333313
P _wing/0/_afl_file_R0 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
P _wing/0/_afl_file_R1 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
P _wing/0/_afl_file_T0 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl
P _wing/0/_afl_file_T1 Clark-Y (good propeller).afl

after modifying it should look like this:

P _wing/0/_Croot 0.349166662
P _wing/0/_Ctip 0.678333342
P _wing/0/_afl_file_R0 NACA-2330.afl
P _wing/0/_afl_file_R1 NACA-2330.afl
P _wing/0/_afl_file_T0 NACA-0003.afl
P _wing/0/_afl_file_T1 NACA-0003.afl

4) Save the file once all the changes have been applied.

5) In xplane adjust your prop lever axis response to go up to 100% per the image below

I am very limited in time so I have done my best to explain the process, I highly suggest patching the file instead of manually editing.

Enjoy. I will update things as they happen. I have very limited time to offer technical support (troubleshooting) for this, so I leave most of the trouble shooting as an exercise for the reader. Additionally the ods version of the W&B document doesnt contain the text labels that the excel version does (image of the excel version below)

image.png.5b5548663edf022c007e8d1688493989.png

airfoils.zip

MU2_mod_unified-2022-08-09.diff MU2_mod-2022-08-09.diff

W&B.xlsx W&B.ods

Edited by CaptCrash
XP12 warning
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Just a developer commentary to any who may also read this. CaptCrash did discuss these with me and I am happy he is looking at the performance and I am also keen to improve the performance numbers; however, the relative work (relative to everything else required to be done to get 95% of the customers happy) ... to get the last 15% of performance accuracy is such that I have always found it best to do those final refinement tweaks last, after everything else is working.  This is generally because the final performance tweaks can be made quite quickly....with all due respect to the FLIGHT TESTING...which is not very quick though.

As soon as the obvious issues slow down, I'll will take a deep breath and start on the fun stuff, which includes performance.  Call it.."round 2" of V2 work!

-TK

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

I can confirm this. Having done flight performance validation on the CL650, Felis 747, and flight model reworks on my own project, and the community C90 mod, the flight testing is the slowest bit. I have a workflow and template that I work from to test the effects of changes to the flight model. And omg the spread sheets: some images below. The props took me about a day to validate. I'll be publishing a new patch with the HSTAB airfoils and some other inclusions, right now im currently within 2% of POH climb and cruise performance, I have some more tweaking to do.
image.thumb.png.f16ec7d91cc887f35a4f55ee017d9650.pngimage.thumb.png.f450c3bc63d186b4ade1a37c3407bfb5.png

Edited by CaptCrash
  • Like 3

• CaptCrash changed the title to *UNOFFICIAL* 4 BLADE MU2B Flight Model Modification 7/22 update
  • CaptCrash changed the title to *UNOFFICIAL* 4 BLADE MU2B Flight Model Modification 8/9/2022 update

8/9/2022 Change log

added flight model ventral strakes
added tip tank fins and strakes
added 85% ram inlet recovery pressure
reduced total power to 1113shp to account for ram inlet recovery
cruise values are now consistently below 2% delta from POH values at all altitudes
Changed trim time response and increased elevator trim in response to POH values and autopilot sensitivities
uploaded weight and balance spreadsheet

Edited by CaptCrash

• CaptCrash changed the title to *UNOFFICIAL* 4 BLADE MU2B Flight Model Modification 8/9/2022 update - V2.0.2 Compatible
3 hours ago, JPL19 said:

Thank you for your work on this.

Can someone point to any on-line instructions as to how to actually apply the ".diff" patch.  I have tried WinMerge and TortiseMerge but cannot comprehend how to to apply the patch.

Joe

For windows try https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/patch/

I've attached an experimental build of the latest patch file. Below is an image from an article referencing the above tool: https://medium.com/codex/how-to-create-and-apply-patches-a9ef94340501. As always your results may vary.

image.thumb.png.8381ddc88750c4cc91cca3e6886b56ab.png

MU2_mod_2022-08-18.patch

• 4 weeks later...
  • CaptCrash changed the title to *UNOFFICIAL* 4 BLADE MU2B Flight Model Modification 8/9/2022 update - V2.0.2 Compatible - DO NOT USE WITH XP12
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 11:50 PM, CaptCrash said:

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE ABOVE AIRFOILS IN XP12 THEY WILL CRASH THE SIM IN FUTURE VERSIONS. THEY WILL NOT WORK.

Hi!

Just out of curiosity, are you still working on your mod and eventually on XP12? Or maybe officially working on the performances for TOGA sim?

Just wondering, not expecting anything. I understand the MU might not have the priority right now.

Thanks and cheers!

Funny you should mention that. @arctic85 I just finished updating the XP12 version with more features and a better matching CG. I've been talking with Tom about incorporating the mod, because diff files aren't as friendly as I would like and I'm not going to release a full acf file to the forum. I'll try and get the diffs and updated airfoils up next weekend

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 12:41 PM, CaptCrash said:

Funny you should mention that. @arctic85 I just finished updating the XP12 version with more features and a better matching CG. I've been talking with Tom about incorporating the mod, because diff files aren't as friendly as I would like and I'm not going to release a full acf file to the forum. I'll try and get the diffs and updated airfoils up next weekend

Hi Capt Crash, any update on XP12 compatibility of the Mod? I'm interested