Reality XP GTN 750/650 Integration

So just a heads up.  The GTNs can support 'remote' equipment, such as a remote audio panel and transponder...but of course they can also drive the panel mount versions of these pieces.  I'm going to keep the panel mount audio panel and GTX transponder in place (except with 650/750 combo), simply because removing them requires new 3D work and even more shifting around of stuff...and its not unreasonable to keep these panel pieces in anyhow.   Besides..if there's some sort of conflict between the GTN (using default XP transponder handling) and my GTX (custom transponder handling)....we'll need the GTX until I can investigate deeper.... I won't need till functional testing. 

-TK

32 minutes ago, tkyler said:

So just a heads up.  The GTNs can support 'remote' equipment, such as a remote audio panel and transponder...but of course they can also drive the panel mount versions of these pieces.  I'm going to keep the panel mount audio panel and GTX transponder in place (except with 650/750 combo), simply because removing them requires new 3D work and even more shifting around of stuff...and its not unreasonable to keep these panel pieces in anyhow.   Besides..if there's some sort of conflict between the GTN (using default XP transponder handling) and my GTX (custom transponder handling)....we'll need the GTX until I can investigate deeper.... I won't need till functional testing. 

-TK

Is this a case when one would use the 625/725 versions, that RXP also support?

7 minutes ago, tkyler said:

If one had a 625/725 (gps only), then certainly the panel mounted audio/transponder would be required for those functionalities.  I don't know if RXP implements the 625/725, I haven't see those on their product page. 

TK

They do. It’s part of the same trainer package from Garmin. Selectable from their plugin menu if I remember correctly.

I did not see such selectable options through the RXP plug-in (only GTN 650 and 750)....may be I'm missing something.    Besides, I do not think I would implement those (the bezels and controls) anyhow.  Its enough managing all the panel variants I have as it is for the time being and the 650/750 have those GPS functionalities anyhow. 

-TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 1

Also, the GPS knobs won't animate with the RXP "taking over the commands".   I augment the default XP GPS commands with 'animation code' to animate the knobs, but the RXP plugin does not..so when it takes over, we lose the animations.  I'm not going to try and overcome this in the near term...maybe a bit later.   Its very low impact...most of the time you're looking at the changing values anyhow and not the knobs.  

TK

Edited by tkyler

54 minutes ago, tkyler said:

I did not see such selectable options through the RXP plug-in (only GTN 650 and 750)....may be I'm missing something.    Besides, I do not think I would implement those (the bezels and controls) anyhow.  Its enough managing all the panel variants I have as it is for the time being and the 650/750 have those GPS functionalities anyhow. 

-TK

Sorry I don’t have it installed at the moment. Maybe it’s part of the configuration. But I’ve definitely seen it before.

WINDOWS users only......when a RXP GTN plugin is present, you'll get a new option in the GUI.

Because RXP uses the same plugin for both the GTN 650 and 750....I have no way of knowing what products you have licensed...which is what controls what the RXP GTN plugin allows you to have.  So you use the pull down to set your configuration.  If you only own the 650...then select that...only the 750...or both, etc.  The pull down simply controls the 3D layout of the radio panel.  

In the video below....I also have the RXP GNS 430/530 installed....but because these don't require a differing panel layout, there is no GUI pull down for those.  The GNS units are set up via  a RXP *.ini file in the Moo folder, which will be included in the next update...so if you have the RXP 430/530, those should just appear depending on your licensing I suspect.  

TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 6

On 8/29/2022 at 3:37 PM, tkyler said:

-TK

That's great - there are options in the GTN config to allow use of the redundant space on the screen to show extra data blocks instead so no display real estate need be wasted :)

On 8/31/2022 at 11:52 AM, Matchstick said:

I'm going to keep the panel mount audio panel and GTX transponder in place

I changed my mind after some testing.  Whenever a GTN unit is loaded, the GTX330 is now gone.  There was some "infighting" between my GTX code and the GTNs...as my GTX implemenation has customization ..and  the GTNs utilize the Garmin "simulator" handling of the transponder..and things just were not being consistent with both loaded.   So now, you simply control the transponder via the GTN units as you would in reality.  The audio panel however...stays up top. 

On a side note, just need to get the docs updated for the autopilot usage and GTN integration steps and we'll get the next update out.

-TK

Edited by tkyler

1 hour ago, Pils said:

GTN’s GPSS limitations,

I tried a route today and it flew the GPSS fine actually; however, the route shown on the GTNs isn't fully reflected on the RSG500 display.  The RSG500 only shows the current active leg, which is to say a straight magenta line.  On the GTN, as you turn as pass/clear a waypoint, then the next leg magenta segment appears on the RSG500 and the previous one goes away.   I suspect this may be some kind of limitation with regards to getting flight plan data out of the Garmin trainer.  I did take screenshots with the intention of putting this info in the docs.  That being said, the current leg is always shown on the RSG500 and of couse the full route is shown on the GTN.

-TK

Edited by tkyler

1 hour ago, tkyler said:

it flew the GPSS fine

One limitation I know of from speaking with Graeme, and maybe it’s more fair to say it’s as much an X-Plane issue, is with regards to procedures with intercept turns greater than 180°. The GTN can’t signal the autopilot to respect the turn direction.

Hang in there...fixes are closed for the next release, but the docs are taking a bit.  I'm writing docs on not only the GTN integration setup, but also a more indepth "SPZ-500 autopilot supplement" for newer folks...which I think is needed given this older autopilot integrated with new GPS units, etc. Soon as the docs are done, we'll package up the next update.

-TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 4