Altimeter preselector scroll speed too slow

I'll see what I can do.  The reason its not an instant 'sure', is it was too fast in my original testing and I slowed it down.   So if you "click on hold"....that'll be one rate...but if you use the mouse wheel...it'll be another depending on your OS scrollwheel settings.  For sure I can speed up the "click and hold" value, I agree with that.  Scrollwheel can move it quicker?  Just out of curiosity, what method do you use?

4 hours ago, gercarst said:

Mousewheel speed is fine with other aircraft. 

Understood...I'm the oddball here with my trackball.....for those who remember the "inverted mouse" issue of the  IXEG.  While I don't officially sanction it...you can adjust this

Ok..you didn't hear this from me...because X-Aviation installers are picky about modified files...but less so about OBJ files.  *cough *cough.  If you happen to poke around the objects/cockpit_3D folder... _OEM and _GNS suffix files (2 files cause )_GLASS doesn't have it)..and maybe search for "alt_set_knob"...and maybe change a 5 to something higher...it might get you by until TOGAsim grows a brain...  I'd welcome a "practical number" consensus :)

image.png

-TomK

Edited by tkyler

I always think that the best way to go is to stay with what the real plane does... to keep it realistic. Even if that is bothering or slow for us as simmers.

Do we know which is the  increment in the real plane? I could not find it.

Editing the .obj file is always an option for those willing to speed it up. Also, there are some free FWL scripts or tools to manually type the bug value... that is always a shortcut for simmers without breaking the integrity of the aircraft realism.

Just my two cents opinion... of course.

I think a good compromise is to offer faster speed when the mouse wheel is held down. Once close to the wanted value it can be fine adjusted with rolling the mouse wheel.

Regarding editing the obj file, I'm willing to do that but what parameter to edit and which file?

Edited by kutyafal

3 hours ago, tkyler said:

Understood...I'm the oddball here with my trackball.....for those who remember the "inverted mouse" issue of the  IXEG.  While I don't officially sanction it...you can adjust this

Ok..you didn't hear this from me...because X-Aviation installers are picky about modified files...but less so about OBJ files.  *cough *cough.  If you happen to poke around the objects/cockpit_3D folder... _OEM and _GNS suffix files (2 files cause )_GLASS doesn't have it)..and maybe search for "alt_set_knob"...and maybe change a 5 to something higher...it might get you by until TOGAsim grows a brain...  I'd welcome a "practical number" consensus :)

image.png

-TomK

OK, thanks for the tip Tom, I changed the number to 30 and its feels better IMHO. (Tried 50 but the lag of the number drums animation gets lagged behind the rotation animation)

Although that modification only affects the mouse click method. The mousewheel stays the same.

What I noticed is that for each 10 forward or backward detents from the mousewheel represents only 100 feet of change (You would need 100 only for a 1000 feet change!) . Usually for 1 mousewheel detent there is a 100 feet change.

As @kutyafalmentions I also think a good compromise is to give a coarse adjustment via the mouse click and a fine adjustment with the mousewheel.

I found an issue with the alt selector:

One click or one scrollwheel-detent increase xscenery/mu2b60/manips/alt_set_knob by 0.1

The values of the dataref vs the AltSet are as follows
0     0
0.1   100
0.2  100
...    100
0.9 100
1    200
...  200
2  300
... 300
3  300
3.1 400

so basically, you need 10 increments to change by 100ft

On 7/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, Ch.Cole said:

so basically, you need 10 increments to change by 100ft

yea..did a test.  no doubt I'm not representative of the norm with my trackball setup..2nd time I've messed that up!   Talk about tunnel-vision....sheesh....anyhow, I swapped to a typical mousewheel and yea....very paintful I agree.  My scrollwheel has all sorts of acceleration and "momentum" and I just spin it like a record player (a what?) and it it can blow through 30-40 increments in a quick spin.

After testing with a normal mouse....single mouse click and single scrollwheel click logically should increment by 100' .  Click and hold set to match the scrolling speed limit of the scrollwheels.  The animation does have a 'mechanical speed limit' and I've matched the 'hold' speed to that.  It takes approx 8 seconds to go from 0 to 25000' now with 'hold'.  Much more reasonable and feels much more natural.  Thx. gents.

• Like 2