Go Arounds and Checklists

KirkR

After practicing a number of go arounds (missed approach scenario @ decision height on a GPS approach), I'm starting to get a feel for the process.  The approach has ATS and A/P engaged, and then following the G/A, pull up to FD, gear up, flaps 20deg, then A/P engaged along with FLC (altitude of missed approach fix is set ahead of it all).  NAV is set and the plane flies to the missed approach fix and initiates the hold.

With that context, my question concerns the use of the checklists.  The above process is ... well ... busy.  Catching up to a checklists in the go around scenario is not feasible it seems.

The questions are two:

1)  what's your perspective on the use of the semi-automated checklists in the go around scenario (I use them with discipline otherwise), and how to "catch up" without weird side-effects.

2). is there a YouTube video out there that shows a go-around scenario where the built in checklists are being used through the process, and including exiting the missed apch hold to shoot another approach (in context of the use of the checklists)?

Thanks

2 hours ago, KirkR said:

1)  what's your perspective on the use of the semi-automated checklists in the go around scenario (I use them with discipline otherwise), and how to "catch up" without weird side-effects.

Technically there isn’t a “checklist” for the go-around, there is a automated procedure performed by the virtual first officer. We put this in precisely because the G/A is a high workload phase, especially if attempted single pilot in the sim. The automation is there so you can concentrate on hand flying the initial stages of the G/A, which is the required procedure according to the AFM (if I recall correctly). The automation is active after the TO/GA button is pushed, and can be advanced using the same command as the actual checklists. We highly encourage its use! I believe after the procedure has been completed the next actuation of the command will bring up the Quick Return checklist and one can continue on normally from there. But I’m not 100% on that.

2 hours ago, KirkR said:

2). is there a YouTube video out there that shows a go-around scenario where the built in checklists are being used through the process, and including exiting the missed apch hold to shoot another approach (in context of the use of the checklists)?

Check out Foxtrot Alpha Aviation on YouTube, they might have one. But I’ve also passed the suggestion onto @Graeme_77.

In the Foxtrot Alpha videos, he does not use any checklist, he's doing the actions himself manually from what I see.

Hmm, I'll do more go arounds and try to figure out what it's doing, and will bring back specifics of the issues that I ran into.  More to follow.

Executed a number of additional go arounds.  The referenced video (below) is a somewhat different scenario, not getting to a GP before executing the M/A, ATS remains armed before and after.

With my scenario (basic GPS apch w/ GP, KMBS RNAV 5 or 23), like the video below, I hit TO/GA, TO thrust is automatically applied, I pull up to the FD, gear up, flaps 20 (audible confirmation occurs of both), I hit A/P then FLC and after stabilizing at 2300 (M/A procedure alt) hit NAV.  NAV was unarmed when the APPR key was used for the approach/GP (in video below, NAV is always armed, no APPR hit).  Have to do it all quick as 2300 is the M/A alt.  So it gets complicated from that point due to several observed behaviors:
-  If I do not use the confirm checklist item button or key through the above process, it seems that it gets really weird at the point where I initiate the immediate return checklist.  Like the video below, he never uses a "confirm checklist item" command at any point during the M/A.  When initiating the immediate return checklist after entering the holding pattern associated with the M/A, I=it does things like setting TO thrust again (???), and other items that were part of the G/A procedure.  So my workaround is to go to the before takeoff checklist and skip the immediate return checklist to avoid this.

I think all of this would be cleared up if there was a video that flew an approach and GP down to a decision height (say, 200 ft), and showed the sequence from that point, into the subsequent hold, and then immediate return to shoot another approach and then land successfully.  That would probably clear it all up.

Edited by KirkR

Quick note: IRL the use of ATS during go-around is technically prohibited (AFM limitation). The expanded language states 'pilots must manually set thrust to override ATS. ATS may be used to trim final N1 once manually set. 

1. Advance thrust levers to the predetermined go around N1 setting (this target should have already been set to TO) while simultaneously pressing TOGA and ATS DISC.
    1. Note: ATS must be disengaged as thrust levers are advanced. If ATS is NOT disengaged and the pilot overrides the ATS as the levers are advanced, the ATS may advance to the forward stop - triggering an exceedance.
  2. Flight Spoilers (if extended) RETRACT
  3. Rotate smoothly at a speed not less than Vref towards command bars
  4. Set pitch attitude to achieve a speed not less than V2+10 as the flaps are retracted in next step to 20
  5. Flaps 20
  6. When climb is positive - Gear UP (there is a note that if a turn is required in MAP, delay this turn until gear is fully retracted)
  7. Retract flaps 'on schedule' (At a safe altitude not less than 400 AGL and speed not less than Vfto-5, flaps UP)
  8. Thrust Reversers OFF
  9. Continue normal climb procedures

These are from the FCOM. This should be practiced and accomplished as a combined set of actions. You commit to the GA pressing TOGA, and then in a series of coordinated steps you press ATS DISC and advance the thrust levers as you're pitching up into command bars. You're verifying the spoilers are retracted and calling for Flaps 20. Things happen quick - you're going to see positive rate pretty fast and you'll ask for gear up. You'll be fine tuning your N1 manually to the TO thrust target. If you were flying green needles on the approach you'll also be asking for your Nav source to be switched back to the FMS (or doing it yourself - I have a button mapped for this) so you'll have the appropriate lateral mode available to fly the MAP. You'll then ask for (or select) NAV and VS. (If you prefer you can press sync to select PITCH, or select FLC but see note below)  As you're climbing away you'll be asking for or selecting  "AP engage"  and setting the speed target to a procedurally appropriate speed - typically the same as a normal climb profile, 190-200 knots. At this point you can engage the ATS as part of the 'normal climb procedures step.

Note, Selection of FLC mode during GA is prohibited unless the altitude pre-select is set higher than current altitude when ATS is engaged. This is small gotcha that can bite you on a GA if you don't sequence things correctly.

Edited by VictoryAJ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1