TBM 900 Steering & Braking Issues

LowOnCash

Hello Guys - As most know when flying the 900 without using rudders with toe brakes, it creates two problems;

Insufficient steering for terminals and small runways

Insufficient  braking to overcome for landings or the ability to overcome thrust at idle.

Since the nose gear on the 900 has reduced travel since its intended to operate using brakes on the main gear, I'm attempting to use my two unused levers on my Logitech throttle fixture as toe brakes, so when I pull the two brake (throttle) levers towards me or down, it applies both toe brakes to assist the reverse thrust using the same direction. This would also help make sharp turns as well.

Anyhow, when I add toe brakes to my unused throttle levers, It immediately disables the nose wheel steering from the yoke. Is there a work around so I can get my steering back on the yoke using toe brakes.

Thanks Mike

IMG_4182.jpg

Hey there, I think you're fighting another issue here. If you're using yoke-linked steering, that's X-Plane only giving you some very limited steering authority. I'd recommend using one of your axes on the throttle quad as a rudder. With a rudder axis bound, you will get the full +-20° steering authority on the nose wheel, which combined with the TBM's short wheelbase will give you plenty of steering authority even around very tight spaces. For brakes, just using the regular 'B' key (brake effort regular) will provide sufficient braking during a landing or speed control. In absence of a brake axis, the system simulates gradual application of the brakes on a 'B' keypress, so you can "pulse" the key to get partial braking. It won't be as smooth as a true axis, but it won't slam on the brakes with full force right away.