Insufficient Rudder Authority During V1 Cut (Engine Failure at V1)

richjb

I've been experimenting with engine failure on takeoffs, just above V1, the so called V1 cut.  So far, I have not been very successful.  

While I have been able to counter the initial yaw with the nosewheel on the runway, after rotation begins, there is insufficient rudder authority/effectiveness(?) to correct the yaw both in and out of ground effect. I have the flight control page up and the Developer>Show Flight Controls window open.  From both indications, I am getting full rudder deflection.  Yet out of ground effect, with the wings level, the slip indicator (i.e., doghouse) is about 3/4 displaced towards the operating engine, indicating more rudder is required. 

The good thing about HS CL650 is that you have the yaw/roll coupling inherent with sweptwing aircraft modeled very accurately.  The bad thing is that because of the excellent modeling, the lack of sufficient rudder authority/effectiveness means that the aircraft at V2 is rolling off into the dead engine, making it very difficult to fly. 

I have much experience in how V1 cuts work, teaching them in the LJ-JET series Level C simulator for many years, as well as being type rated in the Lear 45/75, DA2000, and CL300/350.  I suspect that the CL650 with its hydraulic rudder would be very close to the CL350, and at very light weights where V1 is near V1/VMCG, full rudder will be required.  I have been practicing these at 35,500 lbs.  V1 is 114, VR is 121, and V2 is 131.  I'm taking off from KICT's runway 1R on pretty much a standard day.  

Yesterday, I did some heavyweight takeoffs at 45,000 lbs. hoping the rudder control, authority, effectiveness would be a little better.  It was not.  Although, the performance following the engine failure was pretty close to what I would expect without digging into the AFM. 

I am fairly new to XPlane beyond more than casual users.  The quality of addons in XPlane has now made it my sim of choice.  Is there any way that I can tweak the rudder on this model to see what might work better, and report back to you folks?   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Rich Boll

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As a follow-on and to eliminate potential hardware controller issue, removed my rudder pedals from X-Plane and assigned a key command for left and right rudder.  I did another set of V1 cuts using the keyboard to input full rudder.  Same issue, not enough rudder to keep the nose from yawing into the failed engine, to keep the nose straight, and keep the skid/slip indicate (i.e., the doghouse) centered.  

I looked at the X Plane settings to see if rudder authority could be increase.  Nothing found.  

Is rudder authority, force, etc., something that can be corrected in an upcoming update?

Thanks!

Rich Boll

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, ois650 said:

Rudder effectiveness has been improved in a recent beta update as well as general V1 cut handling (acceleration with OEI). You'll see this in 1.6 release in hopefully not too long...

Thanks, ois650.  I'm looking forward to it! :) 

• Like 1