Stutters

CaptainLHKLM

Hi all,

Toto and Pilsner helped me out on discord but to keep one line of communication, I think opening a topic is easier.

I still get stuttering after shelving the plane for 2 months to see if the updates would fix it, but unfortunately my machine still struggles with the challenger (though my machine is powerful, i7 10700K at 4.7 GHz, 32GB RAM and an RTX3080).

Attached are screenshots of task manager, the sim and a video showing the stuttering. This was on a clean X-Plane install after re-installing windows completely a few weeks ago (I had this stuttering problem on my previous windows installation too, though). So this flight was with no plugins, no scenery, no weather addons either and using a default livery with .DDS files.

I have:

• XP11 in an exclusion for my AV (also the AV is on quiet mode when XP11 is launched)
  • Windows power settings on high
  • Nvidia power settings on prefer maximum performance
  • Clean drivers reinstall with the latest nvidia drivers too
  • Tried both the 6GB and 8GB variant, with neither helping
  • Tried the CPU workaround on these forums

Hopefully we can come to a solution! I've only flown this bird 5 times and the level of stuttering I'm getting makes it unflyable for me personally.

Best wishes,

Daniel

CL650 - 2022-03-26 09.42.55.png

taskmanager.png

Log.txt

Ironically, I just completed a flight from KBOS to KATL and experienced same issue during descent (began @FL280 from 380) and the slideshow began until i was about 5m out from rwy. Came here to see if by some miracle a post was made addressing prob. Seems every flight stuttering starts during descent until close to touchdown. I Checked HWinfo during the slide show to see what was going on bc the only other app i had open was Navigraph charts and ActiveSky which I closed to see if any improvement (none). CPU usage of course was low (30%) and RAM/GPU load was nthg abnormal so its not as if my comp is overloaded w/data etc. Happens reg of using Vulkan or Opengl. All my drivers current, any cpu-gpu bottlenecks were dealt with years ago (running on 1080 so my outdated gpu is doing fine). Cpu/gpu temps are not an issue, and during these flights there are no background processes running.  Use Proj Lasso to optimize Xp with settings similar to above post. Whether I use vulkan or OGl, I get consistently high fps regardless of aircraft (Ini 300/310, FJS QX400, Tollis etc) but the 650 (as much as I love it) is another story.  I understand the ac is competing with XP during cpu loading bc of the systems modeling etc (discussed w/regard to reducing # of threads XP uses in past post), but I have 20 threads and most times 10 or more are sitting there waiting so I really don't understand. Used to think maybe it was prob loading scenery/ortho after coming down from 38000ft but all my XP files on a M2 ssd drive and it really only happens with my beloved 650...

DIdnt think about taking screeny of HWinfo data b.c Im sorta used to it by now and figure ill keep trying diff things to resolve . Nonetheless, I would appreciate any solutions, advice etc. as well.

I7 12700K, GTX 2060 Super (8g), 32GB ram-Win10.

You might want to check your log when it happens again, my issues seem to coincide when the new dsf tiles are being loaded in. It happens with other planes as well but not near as drastic as it does with the Challenger (5 fps drop in the ini for example, 15-20 frame drop in the Challenger). I would be curious if this is happening to others.

On 3/31/2022 at 3:47 AM, jct32 said:

You might want to check your log when it happens again, my issues seem to coincide when the new dsf tiles are being loaded in. It happens with other planes as well but not near as drastic as it does with the Challenger (5 fps drop in the ini for example, 15-20 frame drop in the Challenger). I would be curious if this is happening to others.

I haven't checked with the challenger yet, but doesn't loading dsf tiles occur once a while? In my case I have stutters literally the whole time.

Try walking up and down the aircraft during cruise, in my case I can definitely tell the stutters happen the whole time. Does it happen to you too?

Hello everyone.

I am just posting here to say that I have a similar problem getting random stutters (I will check the log to see if this happens when dsf loading.) Most probably that's the cause.

Usually I have 60-70 fps on a non populated area and 40-50 on populated like TE GB and some other addons. Randomly fps drops to 5-15 making flying unusable for some seconds , especially on approach or landing is very frustrating or when xpilot disconnects. I also hear the CPU Fan maximizing the RPM when this happens :) (Noctua, temps stay under 80C when full load)

I have tried the shortcut thread fix and also tried to remove some plugins and scenery files and still occurs. (Didn't test removing the orthos and True earth products but that's not the case, any other plane flies good)

Now I installed the 6gb or less VRam setting to see if anything changes.

My specs 11700K - 3070 - 32 RAM - non OC and x plane settings are safe mid to high.

Cl65 is by far my favorite one, can't easily go back to any other plane so wishing for a fix or workaround :)

Nick

Edited by gorrack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gorrack said:

Didn't tested removing the orthos and True earth products but that's not the case, any other plane flies good

Try removing any ortho. My CPU times take a hammering at high zoom levels which seems to point to VRAM paging, even though the GPU is not working very hard. Using the <6GB option ortho over ZL17 isn’t an option for me with a 1070ti.

You can’t really discount it without testing without ortho/TE.

12 hours ago, Prefect99 said:

Try removing any ortho. My CPU times take a hammering at high zoom levels which seems to point to VRAM paging, even though the GPU is not working very hard. Using the <6GB option ortho over ZL17 isn’t an option for me with a 1070ti.

You can’t really discount it without testing without ortho/TE.

I can't comment for the others, but I get stutters no matter where I am, with or without ortho, with or without clouds, with or without traffic, etc :/

Weird how we're getting stutters with high-end GPUs though, while I've heard from others with lower-end hardware that they have no stutters.

Edited by CaptainLHKLM

9 hours ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

I can't comment for the others, but I get stutters no matter where I am, with or without ortho, with or without clouds, with or without traffic, etc :/

Weird how we're getting stutters with high-end GPUs though, while I've heard from others with lower-end hardware that they have no stutters.

This is why it’s important to actually troubleshoot, so much variability. One aspect may also be scenery on storage that’s too fast, flooding the CPU. With ortho on my SSD there would be a noticeable dip when a tile loaded. Over LAN hardly any!

Don't forget that Xplane is still significantly CPU bound, HT can also cause issues.

11 hours ago, Prefect99 said:

This is why it’s important to actually troubleshoot, so much variability. One aspect may also be scenery on storage that’s too fast, flooding the CPU. With ortho on my SSD there would be a noticeable dip when a tile loaded. Over LAN hardly any!

Don't forget that Xplane is still significantly CPU bound, HT can also cause issues.

Ah the HT is a great idea! I just turned mine off and get wayyy less stutters just walking around the aircraft. I might not have time this week but I will definitely report how a full flight goes with HT off!

EDIT: Still there, a bit less prevalent though but definitely not gone yet.

Edited by CaptainLHKLM
  • Like 1

I've done a bit more troubleshooting and found that the dips the CL650 causes might be native to X-Plane, but greatly amplified. I've attached a screenshot of the Felis 742 and CL650. The time period between the fps drops is about the same, but in the Felis 742 it's practically unnoticeable (about 1-2 fps), whereas in the CL650 the drop is longer and about 5-15 fps.

B742_PW_Felis - 2022-04-09 10.36.05.png

CL650 - 2022-04-09 20.54.50.png

I found something really cool! I think a solution could be to limit FPS to 60 in Nvidia control panel. I think what was happening the whole time was that the CPU was overshooting (peaks above 60 fps), then undershooting (troughs below 60 fps). Instead, by limiting FPS to 60, I've managed to reduce the magnitude of stutters from 5-15 fps to less than 2!

I only just tried this so I'll report how it goes!

CL650 - 2022-04-09 21.49.03.png

• Like 1