Development teams/time.

FirstOfficerTom

Hello everyone,

Today I was watching some of the PMDG 737NGX videos and marvelling at their work when an idea struck me.

We, the X-Plane community, have plenty of top class developers working to produce marvellous aircraft for us. As has been previously established, teams of developers do that job faster and more efficiently than one of two developers. Now I understand that everyone has their own ideas on what they want produced etc etc, but I thought, why don't the developers we have come together to form a few, large scale teams of developers to work to produce better quality aircraft more quickly? If you think about it, each developer (I assume in most cases) has a specific area in which they excel (e.g. modelling, systems programming), so why not bring all those talents together into two or three projects that will get finished quicker and be of incredibly high standard? I'm not saying this is a full proof idea that should go into action, I understand that there would be problems with many conflicting ideas and monetary problems, but just think, wouldn't that be cool? :)

Just a thought I had that I thought I'd share :)

Tom

Ha, I raised that once, ESP re. Scenery, and received deafening silence, either that or lots of top secret work happening.

If Xp had more market, such ideas would be practical and times sped up.

I'm not watching those videos- I'm flying it. Amazing stuff :-) I have yet to make an official announcement, as it hurts me and I don't want to lose contact with you great guys- but I can't see myself going back to xplane until 10 is released :-( there, I've said it here first, coz you all mean alot to me. That explains my recent inactivity at least..

2bc09fa4.jpg

Funny how people are so bent out of shape over how great the PDMG 737 is, to me I can appreciate the systems modelling, but graphically it looks like a lot of freeware FSX/FS2004 stuff I've seen shots of. Kind of a pale pasty complexion, and really odd stretched and clumsy looking dials, switches, controls, etc...

Funny how people are so bent out of shape over how great the PDMG 737 is, to me I can appreciate the systems modelling, but graphically it looks like a lot of freeware FSX/FS2004 stuff I've seen shots of. Kind of a pale pasty complexion, and really odd stretched and clumsy looking dials, switches, controls, etc...

There's a huge difference between modeling for purely an artistic purpose and modeling for a flight simulator. Sure it looks great, but don't expect it to run on your computer if it was in X-Plane.

"Ha, I raised that once, ESP re. Scenery, and received deafening silence, either that or lots of top secret work happening.

If Xp had more market, such ideas would be practical and times sped up.

I'm not watching those videos- I'm flying it. Amazing stuff :-) I have yet to make an official announcement, as it hurts me and I don't want to lose contact with you great guys- but I can't see myself going back to xplane until 10 is released :-( there, I've said it here first, coz you all mean alot to me. That explains my recent inactivity at least.."

Thanks for the announcement.

In other news....

Edited by Redfisher
  • Upvote 1

either that or lots of top secret work happening.

That's always been the Modus Operandi for developers in the SIM world since, well since I first got into it around FS95 or so... maybe its a computer thing and not just a Flight SIM thing. Maybe that's simply the attitude amongst all developers.

I dunno, but its always been that way in the SIM world.

That's always been the Modus Operandi for developers in the SIM world since, well since I first got into it around FS95 or so... maybe its a computer thing and not just a Flight SIM thing. Maybe that's simply the attitude amongst all developers.

I dunno, but its always been that way in the SIM world.

I hope so! I lurve surprises

X-Plane has been getting better and better over the last few months. The problem is the FSX community is WAY ahead of the XP community in the scenery and aircraft department. Yeah, XP has a few large dev teams, but FSX has tons. Look at the releases. They are constant, and there are simply too many planes to choose from! Look at half the stuff on the ORG. Not even worth a darn if you ask me...

Hopefully the hard work of IXEG, XPJ, Leading Edge, and others will influence FSX dev's to come over here to XP.

• Upvote 1

Simon, I've felt that way too on many occasions, but I do keep coming back to x-plane. Why? The fluid flight model and high frames.As you know I own almost all the OrbX scenery and tons of payware planes. Looks great but feels bland / lacks personality (not visually which is stunning - but as a feeling).

My biggest gripe is how much better IVAO experience is on FSX than X-plane, hopefully this will improve with XP10.

Admittedly I'm in a different situation. I bought Project Magenta and run all my systems modelling on a second computer. This gives me the FMC, systems and glass of the 737NG without the performance hit for frames on the main pc coupled with the x-plane fluidity of flight (Or FSX visuals If I run that sim).

It's not a cheap option, but it is wonderful to use.

The trick is catching those annual orbx sales and the pre-release discounts.

Couldn't get at full price.

Might be misleading to say I have almost all thinking about it. I have all the FTX regions currently released inc Australia and North America / Canada and all but one or two of the very small airports in NA. I have a couple of the larger Aus Airports but not the large number of smaller ones.

Problem being of course that these regions are suited best to small GA aircraft which is where x-plane blows fsx out of the water,

On a side note I just received my 737 yoke from Aircraft Controls Engineering a couple of days ago as well - the aim is to build a complete cockpit setup, Part by part. Love this yoke so much!

Piccies: http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php/topic,6771.msg51099.html

Corr, gorgeous yoke setup Alex, what's it feel like? Sounds more expensive than a real one :-)

I'll be in touch via pm, we could use your assistance in our new Blog, here:

http://xsimreviews.wordpress.com/

Funny, I'm actually enjoying the GAs - Carenado Bonanza over Diamond Point. Gauges not as perfect as Goz's, but that exterior, My God. It's a slug to take off though.

A couple of us are already having fsx freezing issues, again I'll contact you. Frustrating, as ever!

S

Yep, works fine with x-plane, it appears as a USB controller, same as the CH or saitek joysticks and yokes.

My primary flight sim is X-Plane and the 737 cockpit I am hoping to build is based around X-plane for the base sim. Wouldn't have got it if it was only for FSX.

Was a long time deciding between an A320 or 737, but the more I learn about them, the more I think they are both fantastic aircraft. Went Boeing because for me: Yoke > Stick. Simples.

She feels divine. Less stiff than the Concorde simulator's yoke at Brooklands Museum, but definitely a pro feel to it. I find flying smoother with it as small detail corrections seem easier. Possibly because of slightly more travel, although if so not by much.

I still need to bolt her down properly yet but obviously a big step up from the CH / Saitek stuff with a corresponding price tag to boot. Prosumer level if you will.

All metal construction makes a big difference to the feel of it and of course she looks fantastic. Still smiling.

Edited by Kesomir