[LOGGED 2649] Changing livery on existing airframe

dirmer3

1 hour ago, dirmer3 said:

I downloaded a livery and changed my existing airframe to that livery. However, when I restart the sim, it's back to the default livery. Do I need to create a new airframe when I change the livery?

Did you change it in X-Plane’s interface, Airframe Manager, or both?

On 2/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, dirmer3 said:

Just in the airframe manager.

That should work. Insofar as the livery should be saved in Airframe Manager at least. Can check if it’s getting saved by looking at the airframes.db file.

However if you don’t match the livery in the X-Plane interface when loading a flight, if you then subsequently reload or reposition then X-Plane will change the livery back to what it thinks it should be. Best to always keep them in sync.

Edited by Pils
  • Upvote 1

I mean, it's not straightforward and requires running code in a flight loop callback (i.e. you can't switch to a specific livery in one go), but you can use:

XPLMCommand: sim/operation/prev_livery
XPLMCommand: sim/operation/next_livery

Check the loaded livery and/or index via:

XPLMDataRef: sim/aircraft/view/acf_livery_index
XPLMDataRef: sim/aircraft/view/acf_livery_path

And be notified of any livery change via XPluginReceiveMessage (XPLM_MSG_LIVERY_LOADED for XPLM_USER_AIRCRAFT).

What I don't understand is why you have a livery selector in the airframe manager if you need to select the livery via X-Plane as well, that's very counter-intuitive :)

Regards,

Tim

13 minutes ago, Rodeo said:

What I don't understand is why you have a livery selector in the airframe manager if you need to select the livery via X-Plane as well, that's very counter-intuitive

It only matters if you cause X-Plane to reload after loading a flight. So you don’t “need to” it’s just “recommended”.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rodeo said:

I mean, it's not straightforward and requires running code in a flight loop callback (i.e. you can't switch to a specific livery in one go), but you can use:

XPLMCommand: sim/operation/prev_livery
XPLMCommand: sim/operation/next_livery

Check the loaded livery and/or index via:

XPLMDataRef: sim/aircraft/view/acf_livery_index
XPLMDataRef: sim/aircraft/view/acf_livery_path

And be notified of any livery change via XPluginReceiveMessage (XPLM_MSG_LIVERY_LOADED for XPLM_USER_AIRCRAFT).

Yuck. If it were me I would say this was a hack not worth the effort for a corner case. But I’ll pass on your suggestion and let the developer decide for themselves.

• Like 1

• Graeme_77 changed the title to [LOGGED 2649] Changing livery on existing airframe