Weather data source

Xaver

The problem is that X-Plane 11 doesn't have a global weather model, just a local weather bubble. Tools like ASXP just update this local bubble all the time. So X-Plane has no clue what weather you have 200NM away from your current position, so aircrafts can't pull that info from X-Plane. I think this is supposed to change in XP12.

Until then, the only option for aircrafts is to pull that data from external sources like real-world Internet-accessible sources, ASXP or... (and that would be my preference) from the SimBrief OFP which contains wind data for every fix in the FPL. So, if the user downloaded a FPL from SimBrief, CL650 already parses the OFP XML anyway, so it has the wind data readily at the fingertips, to use on a subsequent WIND REQ.

By taking the SimBrief-supplied wind data, this would match most closely an actual pilot entering the per-fix wind data from the OFP, just done automatically, which then matches the planned performance and thus fuel data.

Edited by DanielR
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BlackBird_GR said:

I understand the reasons for this approach and also that this way eliminates compatible issues with 3rd party weather addons, but with this approach eliminates the whole simulator idea, as we can not fly at custom weather for training. But it's Ok for me, if this will change with XP12 in few months.

Of course you can fly with custom weather. It's not mandatory to update your wind data in the FMS.