G5 Expired

Paul_P28A

One day, this message popped up when I start xPlane11, and as a result I cannot use the G5 any more.  "License expired. Please connect to the internet"   "License data invalid".  My computer has always been connected to the internet since I installed the G5.

I emailed support about this problem, have not received an answer yet.  Although it may be buried because I originally started an ticket with the issue that I could not move the G5, which went away when I realized I was moving the mouse way too fast over the bezel for the little hand to appear.

Don't want to bombard support with too many emails, although I sent my response and asked about this problem a little over a week ago.

Thanks for any help.. 

regards,

Paul

LicenseExpired_Zoomed.png

Thanks for your help.  I downloaded the G5 installer, turns out the one I downloaded in December 2021 was v2.0, exactly the same size as the newest download.  I went ahead and installed it, and one piece of good news, the error messages are no longer displayed.  However, I am still unable to turn it on with the mouse, left clicking or right clicking had no effect.  Just a dark screen on the device. 

I went into the keyboard commands in xPlane and found where I could assign a keyboard letter that was unused, still could not turn it on. 

Any further help you can offer would be appreciated.  I'm a novice at this.

thanks again

Paul

1593599992_Car_Archer-2022-02-0512_00.10_G5_darkScreen.png

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, Coop said:

If that doesn't fix it, in order to debug what is going on, we will need you to send us a copy of the X-Plane log.txt file. You can find a guide to get this file here: 

How to find the X-Plane log.txt file?

Hi ... 

I checked the log file and found no error code 126 in it, but went ahead and did the install as you suggested.  Same result. I've attached the log file from that run.  Thanks again for your help.  Note that it used to turn on as soon as I selected it, and all of a sudden it stopped powering on. 

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Log.txt

Hi Paul,

It appears you aren't signed into Gizmo with your X-Aviation credentials. Sometimes the login window can be hidden on a secondary monitor, if you unplug all but your primary monitor, you should see the X-Aviation sign-in dialog.

You also have X-Plane installed via Steam inside the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

This causes Windows to block saving of the license file to disk to protect the "Program Files (x86)" content from modification.

You can use the built-in steam features to move the X-Plane folder somewhere else like your Desktop/Games/X-Plane folder or Documents/Games/X-Plane folder.
(You will need to create these folders... choose whatever suits you.)

You can also move it to another disk if you have one. The following Steam Guide uses D:\Games\Steam as an example.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327#move

On 3/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, Coop said:

Hi Paul,

It appears you aren't signed into Gizmo with your X-Aviation credentials. Sometimes the login window can be hidden on a secondary monitor, if you unplug all but your primary monitor, you should see the X-Aviation sign-in dialog.

Hi .. 

I found the login screen and logged in.  That fixed the issue!   Thanks!  

... you probably can't help with this bran new issue that has cropped up... I used to get the GPS position of the aircraft on FltPlan Go app.  That has stopped working now. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 11:59 AM, Ben Russell said:

You also have X-Plane installed via Steam inside the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

This causes Windows to block saving of the license file to disk to protect the "Program Files (x86)" content from modification.

You can use the built-in steam features to move the X-Plane folder somewhere else like your Desktop/Games/X-Plane folder or Documents/Games/X-Plane folder.
(You will need to create these folders... choose whatever suits you.)

You can also move it to another disk if you have one. The following Steam Guide uses D:\Games\Steam as an example.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327#move

Hi ... I moved Steam to a folder on the C:/ drive.  After moving it, the G5 is no longer available on the drop down menus!  I've tried re-installing it to no avail.  Can you help?  I attached the most recent log for your analysis.

thanks so much for your help.

regards,

Paul

Log.txt

Edited by Paul_P28A

Hi Paul,

Taking a look at the log, there are two things going on.

1. The log shows you not logged into Gizmo (which handles activation of the G5). Sign in via the signup dialog. If it isn't showing, try temporarily unplugging all monitors except for your main X-Plane monitor and signing in, then reattaching them
  2. The G5 doesn't appear to be installed for this aircraft. You need to run the G5 per-aircraft installer on each aircraft you wish to use the aircraft with. In the main X-Plane folder, there should be a "G5 Aircraft Installer" which is installed after running the main G5 installer from the X-Aviation website. Running the G5 Aircraft Installer, select the aircraft of interest (C:\newSteam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Aircraft/Laminar Research/Carenado Archer_II_v3.2/, based on what I am seeing in your log file).

Coop -

I re-installed G5 on the Piper Archer II, got a message that said "G5 is already installed for this aircraft" (or something like that) but then I brought up xPlane11 and the G5 is there!  Fantastic.  Now I cannot turn it on, which was my problem back in March (above entry).  I cannot remember where to find the login for Gizmo.  I disconnected and reconnected the one monitor I have connected, but that did not reveal a login screen. The log.txt from my last attempt is attached.

Thanks for your help.. I feel like I am close.

regards,

Paul

Log.txt

Hi Coop...

So I unplugged the monitor, and then ran it from the laptop monitor and yes, the Gizmo login screen was visible!  I logged in and now the G5 works.

So the key point I learned is to open xPlane11 with just the one screen and the login is visible.

thanks for your help.

Paul

• Like 2