[Feature Request] On/Off state instead of Toggle

Atlas

I would like to request dedicated/separate ON commands and OFF commands instead of toggle ON/OFF.  This would help greatly in cockpit building and touchscreen programming.  One specific switch I'd like to request is the Nose Steer switch.

I also notice that there's a Landing gear lever UP/DOWN command, how is this different from the Landing gear toggle under Flight Controls/Basics?  

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Atlas said:

I also notice that there's a Landing gear lever UP/DOWN command, how is this different from the Landing gear toggle under Flight Controls/Basics?

If this is one under the CL650 tree then it’s probably identical in function. The software design of the product means that basically everything has a custom command first and foremost. And then a subset of things have the default commands translated back to the custom commands automatically.

Edited by Pils
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I am not very good with Lua scripting.  That means I'm also in no position to gauge how much work it is to do specific on-off command (or even on-auto-off commands for some switches)  but I wager for something basic like a NWS switch, most non-lua/non-script familiar folks will greatly appreciate the ability to just map the switches directly and not have to go through a roundabout way.

4 hours ago, Atlas said:

Unfortunately, I am not very good with Lua scripting.  That means I'm also in no position to gauge how much work it is to do specific on-off command (or even on-auto-off commands for some switches)  but I wager for something basic like a NWS switch, most non-lua/non-script familiar folks will greatly appreciate the ability to just map the switches directly and not have to go through a roundabout way.

Ok I can try find time to publish my script for use in mean time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Atlas said:

Any help to be able to use this now and map it to a TM WH throttle switch or Honeycomb Bravo would be greatly appreciated.

CL650.lua

Throw this into your FlyWithLua scripts directory. With DataRefTool one should be able to implement basically any switch one would like based on these examples.

• Like 1

I'd like to chime in on this thread in support of discreet ON and OFF commands although I'd like to see them be supported _in addition to_ rather than _instead of_ TOGGLE.

Having a discreet set of commands definitely makes it easier to implement control mappings in SPAD.next and other control devices. You don't have to worry about checking additional datarefs for the current state of a switch in order to keep your hardware and software switches in sync.

But I'd hate to see the TOGGLE option go away since for each of us that want a discreet command, I'm sure that there is someone else who would prefer to have a TOGGLE. Choice is good!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IronCroptop said:

You don't have to worry about checking additional datarefs for the current state of a switch in order to keep your hardware and software switches in sync.

Thanks for expressing your support, the more people we hear from the more it helps prioritise. In the meantime, can you set datarefs with that tool? Because if so just use those and force the switches to match your hardware on load? Or does it not change the value until the switch is moved for the first time?

Edited by Pils
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pils said:

Thanks for expressing your support, the more people we hear from the more it helps prioritise. In the meantime, can you set datarefs with that tool? Because if so just use those and force the switches to match your hardware on load? Or does it not change the value until the switch is moved for the first time?

SPAD.next can definitely set dataref values rather than send commands and when it's the only option, I do just that. However, I've learnt that sometimes changing a dataref isn't necessarily enough since there may be other datarefs that are triggered when a command toggles on and I didn't manage to find them all -- or the right one). That may just be a case of me doing it wrong.

As for triggering on load, I don't know offhand if SPAD.next will set datarefs based on switch position when it loads or only when the switch moves. The programming is tied to "events" but I'm not sure what actually triggers those events. I'll ask about that on the SPAD.next support Discord.

• Like 1

I'd also appreciate discrete switch settings in addition to direction e.g. PASS SIGNS up/down I'm sure could be useful depending on hardware in addition to having ON/OFF/AUTO.

I have limited brain so can just about cope with mapping in XP settings. I am sure there is a better way but this currently works for me!

• Like 1

Thanks @Pils, I'll have a look at that tomorrow!

Thanks @Prefect99 and @IronCroptop for chiming in!  This is definitely a niche request and a workaround is better than waiting for a fix but having both on/off states and toggle state commands would be having our cake and eating it too!  It's not a top priority to be sure and I'm happy to wait but even better that I know our request is in the queue.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...