Secondary Database update?

Stukai

1 minute ago, Stukai said:

Hello,

is there a possibility to update the secondary database as well? 

And just out of curiosity: What is the real life use of the secondary database? 

Thank you very much!

I belive the second database is X-Planes default database. and can only be updated by Laminar.

Im not a pilot but I belive the secondary database can be used in situations when the primary database is having bad or corrupted data, or having bugs etc (I belive that can happend IRL also).. So the pilots at least have some procedures available with the secondary database even if it is one cycle old.

The secondary database is the default X-Plane one. Unfortunately there is no way to update this. 

17 hours ago, Tom Stian said:

Im not a pilot but I belive the secondary database can be used in situations when the primary database is having bad or corrupted data, or having bugs etc (I belive that can happend IRL also).. So the pilots at least have some procedures available with the secondary database even if it is one cycle old.

Yes this is indeed the case. 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, oisin650 said:

The secondary database is the default X-Plane one. Unfortunately there is no way to update this. 

But you could perhaps use the backups created by the Navigraph FMS updater? So one always has the last cycle's database available as backup, in case there are problems with the current one? That'd be nice and quite realistic usage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oisin650 said:

I agree it would be nice and realistic, but X-Plane will throw an error message if you alter the in-built data. Hopefully in XP12 we'll be able to have two Navigraph databases at once. 

I'm not into the XP11 inner workings, so excuse my ignorance. You're saying that with XP11, an aircraft can only use either the XP11 built-in database (default data) or a single user-supplied database (custom data), not any arbitrary database located somewhere in the filesystem (like the Navigraph database backups)? Trying to confirm my understanding what you're implicating.

If so, it's obviously not an option with XP11, unfortunately...

2 hours ago, DanielR said:

I'm not into the XP11 inner workings, so excuse my ignorance. You're saying that with XP11, an aircraft can only use either the XP11 built-in database (default data) or a single user-supplied database (custom data), not any arbitrary database located somewhere in the filesystem (like the Navigraph database backups)? Trying to confirm my understanding what you're implicating.

If so, it's obviously not an option with XP11, unfortunately...

In general, that’s correct, default avionics (G1000, FMS, etc.) will use Custom Data if it’s present, replacing the default data; or, the default data if that’s all one has. Some third party addons with custom navigation systems will make the same selection, however will be reading the data directly from the disk (rather than through X-Plane’s programming interfaces, which are quite crude).

However, the CL-650 is the only addon (that I know of) that lets you select either the default data or custom data while in the cockpit. That’s the key differentiator here.

In theory it could be implemented so that the two databases could be read from arbitrary locations, including outside the X-Plane directory, however that’s not the design choice that has been made at this time.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, oisin650 said:

Yes, by manually copying the files from Custom Data to Resources/default data/<whatever> (cannot remember the exact path off the top of my head).

Definitely at your own risk, but quite feasible :)

Regards,

Tim

22 minutes ago, Rodeo said:

Yes, by manually copying the files from Custom Data to Resources/default data/<whatever> (cannot remember the exact path off the top of my head).

Definitely at your own risk, but quite feasible :)

Regards,

Tim

Modifying the default data files will cause an error message on opening X-Plane 11, and will not allow the sim to run. 

2 hours ago, oisin650 said:

Modifying the default data files will cause an error message on opening X-Plane 11, and will not allow the sim to run. 

Yes, due to integrity checks, but maybe replacing it wholesale could work? Very unsupported though! And we only give supported answers. :)

Edited by Pils

22 hours ago, oisin650 said:

Oh that's new. I did stop updating my default database manually a while ago, I guess I'll have to try again and see what happens.

Well, I just tried and got no errors whatsoever. Obviously you have to replace all files with a cycle ID in their header so they match, you can't just pick and choose, but Navigraph does provide all of those in their data.

Lack of support from official HS/X-Aviation staff makes perfect sense though, I'm just pointing out it is quite feasible, provided you know what you're doing :)

1864335266_Screenshot2022-02-02at18_16_19.thumb.png.8c574df3cdb7b9f542467f9fe9d7f477.png

• Like 2

• 7 months later...