August 2011 - Gizmo Nagware Removed

I have received comment from a number of artists using Gizmo for their projects that they would like a way to get rid of the nagbox for their customers.

Some have even mentioned probability that they will use Gizmo for prototyping and then port to C/other for their final product when they're ready.

There is also some confusion from customers about how to get a Gizmo serial number, why they're free with X-A products and not others.

On top of that I have had to issue a couple of refunds to X-A customers because they were buying a serial number to solve their install problems with an X-A product and they thought they needed a Gizmo serial.. (buying out of frustration...)

Because of the combined pressures of the above I have removed the nag-box from Gizmo.

It remains a "please play fair" product and is now "pay what you can afford".

My suggestion is that you factor-in a license fee for Gizmo in your retail prices for your products.

Forward this on when you can.

Donate to Gizmo.. (Donations are a massive paperwork hassle, Please DO NOT "donate".)

This link is also embedded in the Gizmo plugin and can be accessed from inside X-Plane using:

Plugins > Gizmo > Donate to Gizmo..

My interest is in making Gizmo a better tool for everyone; this change is at the request of everyone using it in the field. Artists and Customers.

Thanks.

Edited by Ben Russell

Thanks Ben. Your continued efforts to change your products to fit customer's liking at your own expense (literally) is something currently unrivaled in the flight sim community. You are one of the best out there and we all truly appreciate the time, effort, and money you put in to supporting and growing our hobby. I look forward to the time when "play with Gizmo" finally comes to the top of my to do list. Based on what I've seen already a donation shouldn't be too far behind.

Thank you.

This is the arrangement.

Pay me what you can.

Factor it into your prices and we both win.

I have no interest in creating a system to track sales from other vendors. Everyone uses different software, people hate sharing data. "DRM Sucks". Etc.

"Tell me how much you owe.." :P

I earnestly hope that payware developers using Gizmo will honour this system.

I can say I think this move (if it remains this way) will speed and spread Gizmo use and adoption.

Perhaps a supporters page to highlight which developers/products are contributing back to gizmo would be a nice touch.

Ben, I can not add much to what has already been said, but I would also like to thank you for all the efforts and for providing such a great tool.

Gizmo opened the door for a lot of awesome things and it will continue to do so.

I can not think of using anything else, that is so easy to use and at the same time gives so much control to the developer.

I hope that much more developers will start to use Gizmo and that it pays off for you in the end and that everybody will play fair.

You really improve the life of developers and that makes a difference.

• 2 months later...

Considering asking for Donations for your project? Think again, it'll get your account locked.. *sigh*

Here's some info from PayPal that's worth knowing:

Hello Ben Russell,

Our review is complete and we have restored your account.

Generally, the donate button can be used by for-profit businesses only for

the purpose of website support / server costs. Any other use is generally

considered fundraising.

If you wish to install a button on your site that will allow a user-defined

payment amount, you can use a standard payment button, entering $0.00

instead of a set amount for the value. This will prompt the buyer to define

the amount to be paid.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your help in making
PayPal

the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

Thanks,

Robert

PayPal
Compliance Department

PayPal
, an eBay Company

So, after three months, the total contributions raised by honor is, um, an attempted $10.00 - a total of $0.00

I did manage to get my account flagged and locked though, by one donation - I refunded it hoping it'd clear PayPals hissy fit, no joy.

I did manage to collect a nice pile of mail from irate customers of the FJS Q400 though, the plugin still nags, the store was closed, and Jack and Joe decided not to share the free serial I made available. Thanks for that guys.

I gave a few keys away, started pointing people at the forum thread, etc.

After getting my PayPal account unlocked I decided it was time for a change on several fronts.

• Gizmo is now a closed source project again.
    (11.5.25 is the last GPL version available and is quite out of date.)
  • Gizmo nagware is in effect again.
  • Gizmo now has an aircraft-project-key system.
    • Publishers can buy a key to remove the nagware for all their customers.
    • Freeware projects can apply for a free key if they think their work show-cases Gizmo.

If you're a hobbyist or a lab, you can buy a $10 serial number.

If you're a payware publisher and want a hassle free product for your customer you can buy a project key to include with your work.

Gizmo remains free to download, install and try out.

The nagware system has no "window stays on screen for 60 seconds" code... you can close it as fast as you like, but the nag-window will keep coming back.

It's now five months since the last update of Gizmo, if I'm going to keep working on it I need to make money from it.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you Mr Ben

... Even I a GIZMO hobbyist , I Try to help in x-plane.es forum ( spanish X-plane community) , and I share the free serial number with some Spanish User (DASH8 user that was not happy with the nag screen and the plane in general),

You can use Google Translate,

http://www.x-plane.es/modules/smf/index.php?topic=5534.msg56595#msg56595

And Here

http://www.x-plane.es/modules/smf/index.php?topic=5889.msg57740#msg57740

And I always think thats the best for you and GIZMO. "Factor it into your prices and we both win."

Regards.

Carlos

I think the single hardest thing for me to understand about the X-Plane community is the fact that you can work your tail off and develop some really cool stuff like plugins, scenery, aircraft....and then everyone wants it for free. Or worse, the developers just give it away. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be compensated for your work. My wife at least once a week asks me when I'm going to start making money at this X-Plane thing. Makes me laugh at least.......

Edited by steven winslow
  • Upvote 1

Sounds reasonable.

Just to clarify: For the next major gizmo version that's included outside a x-aviation product (like the Dash),

a. the developer can buy a key to unlock it for all his customers

b. the developer can choose to leave that up to his customers, who themselves can purchase a licence

and question:

c. My guess would be that older (purchased) serials won't work any longer?

Sounds reasonable.

Just to clarify: For the next major gizmo version that's included outside a x-aviation product (like the Dash),

a. the developer can buy a key to unlock it for all his customers

b. the developer can choose to leave that up to his customers, who themselves can purchase a licence

Correct on all fronts.

c. My guess would be that older (purchased) serials won't work any longer?

They won't work with anything above 11.x of Gizmo.

Any news on the store/buying a Gizmo license?

No. When the store is running you'll know. Ben makes it a point to update everyone on this kind of stuff.

The current focus is updating Gizmo to the next iteration. Until then you can use the FREE license provided here on these forums.

No. When the store is running you'll know. Ben makes it a point to update everyone on this kind of stuff.

The current focus is updating Gizmo to the next iteration. Until then you can use the FREE license provided here on these forums.

Tried it: doesn't work.

http://www.store.x-plugins.com/servlet/the-13/Gizmo-11.x--dsh--Serial/Detail

...free serial number has been black-listed for the next release anyway.

Trying to make the "check serial is good" code a bit smarter so its easier to copy and paste cleanly... the serial tried -should- work, X-Plane GUI text-boxes can "catch" some strange key-codes though.