Misaligned Textures

Arrowdynamixx

I created a livery with stripes that pass through the flap on the door in the initial release.  Since the first update, the texture source has changed and it does not line up.

233803378_2022-01-2318_23_53-X-System.thumb.png.89881af85db11470bcb92a505b9b0366.png

Would it be possible to adjust the textures on the to line up with the base texture?

Also, could the textures on other panels be adjusted to line up with the base texture?

1744946775_2022-01-2318_22_47-X-System.png.91cbafff63c211ced52f76a4a8a17891.png

Both sides for this one.

In addition to the panel behind the APU exhaust:

262405998_2022-01-2318_24_21-X-System.png.1e0d0809f2f54a522e8dcd2f020581ee.png

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Goran_M said:

The pressure flap was moved, but if you have the source PSD, with the lines, just open it, and re-save it in Photoshop (or whichever software you used).

The other 2 images, I'm not sure why you're getting those, because those sections of the UV map weren't ever moved or adjusted.

For the stripe on the pressure flap, the texture was in a separate area of the UV map (bottom right) than in the initial release.  It is now coming from the area of the door, so the original does not work. Since it is in the same area, there is no possibility of an adjustment, since it will change the texture for the surrounding door area.

As for the nose area, it was mentioned on Discord, so I included it here.  It was not likely correct in the first release.

The stripe across the panel behind the APU exhaust is likely from a different area on the map, but it would be easier if it was simply aligned with the base texture.

Edited by Arrowdynamixx

8 hours ago, Arrowdynamixx said:

For the stripe on the pressure flap, the texture was in a separate area of the UV map (bottom right) than in the initial release.

Yes, I know.  But the flap was incorrect, so it had to be re-cut.  However, the overall UV island for the Fuselage_Front has not moved.  The cut is different, but the cut was made on a different part of the UV map.  It is impossible to adjust without compromising the entire map, and that will ruin the whole paint.  If you have some vector graphics overlayed on the UV map to make the paint, all you need to do is re-open the PSD (assuming you're using Photoshop) and re-align what you created.  Below is a screenshot of the door UV island (upside down), and you can see the flap.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 10.33.36 pm.png

The adjustment is definitely possible, and if you wish, attach a copy of the PSD and I'm happy to adjust it for you.  It will take me a few seconds.

As for the nose area, it was mentioned on Discord, so I included it here.  It was not likely correct in the first release.

I'm afraid I missed it in discord.  But again, I haven't touched that UV island in months.  Looking at it, sure, I can see it's upside down, I'm happy to rotate it 180 degrees.  If you want me to do this for the next update, consider it done.  The alternative is if you just rotate that part of the texture by 180 degrees.  I'll leave that one up to you.  No issue if you want me to rotate the UV island.

The stripe across the panel behind the APU exhaust is likely from a different area on the map, but it would be easier if it was simply aligned with the base texture.

That isn't possible (kind of).  If I align it with the base mesh, then I'll have to overlay that UV island over the rear fuselage UV island, which means doubled up textures.  The APU exhaust shield needs to be it's own UV island.  I did make sure the texel density for the APU exhaust shield matches the fuselage, so the resolution will be consistent throughout the whole paint.  

Below is the UV island location for the APU shield.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 10.41.50 pm.png

Hope this helps.  Regardless of all this, a paintkit is coming very soon.  Hopefully tonight.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

First of all, the level of engagement by your team, along with the airplane itself, raises the bar to a level to which all other developers should aspire! Thanks!

The adjustment is definitely possible, and if you wish, attach a copy of the PSD and I'm happy to adjust it for you.  It will take me a few seconds.

Thanks for the offer.  I have attached the PSD file.

I'm afraid I missed it in discord.  But again, I haven't touched that UV island in months.  Looking at it, sure, I can see it's upside down, I'm happy to rotate it 180 degrees.  If you want me to do this for the next update, consider it done.  The alternative is if you just rotate that part of the texture by 180 degrees.  I'll leave that one up to you.  No issue if you want me to rotate the UV island.

This is not critical for my current project.  I had noticed it in Discord and tested it and thought I would pass it along.

Below is the UV island location for the APU shield.

Thanks for that.  I'll paint in the proper place.  This is really helpful.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.  The total experience with the aircraft and the developers has been a delight.  Keep up the good work!

Fuselage_Front.psd

17 hours ago, Ither said:

@Goran_M I presume you know that many of the doors/flaps/etc are inverted?

In order to fix my striping on the door flap I had to invert it from the rest of the fuselage line.

image.png.db853906e9693a6411356b5cad33d0fb.png

The way I unwrapped the fuselage is the same as cutting along the length of it, and peeling it along the longitudinal axis and laying it flat.  Because of this, one side is upside down and the other is right way up.  The top and bottom don't count due to their orientation.  This is, in my opinion, the best and easiest way to keep it free from as many seams as possible, while maintaining the orientation and direction of the unwrap for painters.  It's almost impossible to keep everything the right way up, without compromising UV white-space.  I try to pack in as much as I can to keep texel density high.

Edited by Goran_M

I have been finding the same issues so really appreciate this thread.  This aircraft is superb and exceptional (in the true meaning of that word) so I really want to do some quality and realistic paints for it.

The APU exhaust area being a separate area is a pain but it's not hard to work around, because I can simply rasterize a copy of the vector layer and apply that to the texture area for the APU exhaust.  The really tough one is the oval panel above the nose gear on both sides of the forward fuselage - it's completely inverted and there was no marking for it before the paint kit, so had been really hard to precisely invert a texture for that specific section of the Forward Fuselage.  BUT now the paint kit wireframe shows exactly where that is, so that helps. A fix for that spot so it doesnt take a special inverted layer will still be much appreciated.

Edited by reversethrust

On 1/26/2022 at 2:13 AM, Arrowdynamixx said:

First of all, the level of engagement by your team, along with the airplane itself, raises the bar to a level to which all other developers should aspire! Thanks!

Thanks for the offer.  I have attached the PSD file.

This is not critical for my current project.  I had noticed it in Discord and tested it and thought I would pass it along.

Thanks for that.  I'll paint in the proper place.  This is really helpful.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.  The total experience with the aircraft and the developers has been a delight.  Keep up the good work!

Fuselage_Front.psd 21.39 MB · 3 downloads

I had another look at the unwrapped mesh.  This one is on me.  The UV island is rotated the wrong way.  It's a project from view island, but it's oriented the right way up.  The way the door is unwrapped and positioned, is upside down (This part is deliberate).  The temporary fix for this is to rotate your pressure flap texture only, by 180 degrees.  I've fixed this and it will be included in the next update. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Goran_M said:

I had another look at the unwrapped mesh.  This one is on me.  The UV island is rotated the wrong way.  It's a project from view island, but it's oriented the right way up.  The way the door is unwrapped and positioned, is upside down (This part is deliberate).  The temporary fix for this is to rotate your pressure flap texture only, by 180 degrees.  I've fixed this and it will be included in the next update. 

Thanks for the response.  Well understood.

The support and the new paint kit are certainly appreciated.