Calculating the missed approach climb gradient with one engine out

cleptric

Some approach charts state minimums based on the climb gradient, which to my knowledge, have to be calculated with OEO.
The FMS shows two values for that on the APPROACH PERF Page 4, which you can set to display %.

Is there a rule of thumb to apply these values for OEO? Dividing by two?

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 02.40.35.png

Edited by cleptric

To determine a vertical speed required from the gradient , multiply that number by your ground speed. If your missed approach speed is 150 for a 5% gradient you need 750fpm to maintain the gradient. That’s all you have to achieve to be able to use the minima attached to that required gradient. 

the next step is to determine if your aircraft can actually achieve that - i can’t help you with that at the moment as I don’t have cl65 performance charts -  but there will be a table where you can derive your max weight to maintain that gradient oei.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, cleptric said:

Some approach charts state minimums based on the climb gradient, which to my knowledge, have to be calculated with OEO.
The FMS shows two values for that on the APPROACH PERF Page 4, which you can set to display %.

Is there a rule of thumb to apply these values for OEO? Dividing by two?

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 02.40.35.png

Just to clarify, a missed approach climb gradient and SID/Obstacle Departure Procedure ODP climb gradient are based on normal, all engines operating aircraft performance:

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2018/InFO18014.pdf

The approach (one engine inoperative’ and landing climb (all engines) gradients provided on the APPROACH REF page 3/4 are spot gradients at the airport pressure altitude and temperature. These climb gradients are certification requirements, but do provide a gouge on climb performance on a missed approach or rejected landing provided the missed approach climb is relatively short.  

I suspect this example, by the looks of the landing minima is a mountain airport. At such an airport, I would have the one engine inoperative departure procedure for that runway programed in the ALT LEGS page and ready to fly should I go missed or rejected landing and then have the engine fail.  

Rich 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...