How to do a VOR rRWY landing?

divinglyc

Hi! I was flying to LGSR with VOR rwy 15 landing. 

I have activated APPR mode, Nav mode, VNAV mode. 

I have also shift my Navigation source to VOR1 which has been set to the correct frequency and course.

However, how can I make the aircraft follow the correct path to descend? Thanks!

ps. In the end, I manually and visually landed.

You can't follow a vertical path automatically when in VOR (green needles) mode. You have to select VS and fly the profile from the chart.

The alternative is to treat it like an RNP approach:

• Check the database coding to make sure the track and descent angle are as per the chart.
  • Tune the VOR, and display the VOR needle using BRG SRC on the DCP. This is to allow monitoring.
  • Leave the navigation in FMS mode - magenta needles.
  • Fly the approach with APPR mode, you should have APPR LNV1 and VGP / GP FMAs.

This is shown in the Operations Reference pdf, included in the Documentation folder.

image.thumb.png.11045b11ae30509ea890cee8552dcee5.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graeme_77 said:

You can't follow a vertical path automatically when in VOR (green needles) mode. You have to select VS and fly the profile from the chart.

The alternative is to treat it like an RNP approach:

• Check the database coding to make sure the track and descent angle are as per the chart.
  • Tune the VOR, and display the VOR needle using BRG SRC on the DCP. This is to allow monitoring.
  • Leave the navigation in FMS mode - magenta needles.
  • Fly the approach with APPR mode, you should have APPR LNV1 and VGP / GP FMAs.

This is shown in the Operations Reference pdf, included in the Documentation folder.

image.thumb.png.11045b11ae30509ea890cee8552dcee5.png

Thank you so much for your explanation!

I have a question...... If I use BRG SRC to show the VOR needle, how can I leave the Navigation source in FMS1 mode?

Or do you mean I use Format to change it to VOR mode and leave the BRG SRC at FMS1?

Sorry for my confusion....

No worries. It doesn't need to be there for the aircraft, but when flying a VOR or NDB procedure using the FMS to actually navigate, IRL it's necessary to monitor the radio aid directly, which you do with the needles.

The logic behind all this is if the pilot in the left seat is expected to monitor the pilot in the right seat mashing buttons on the FCP to try their best to fly a procedure from the charts using various rules of thumb they've learned - then why not let the both pilots monitor the FMS doing a better job of flying the jet!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, Graeme_77 said:

No worries. It doesn't need to be there for the aircraft, but when flying a VOR or NDB procedure using the FMS to actually navigate, IRL it's necessary to monitor the radio aid directly, which you do with the needles.

The logic behind all this is if the pilot in the left seat is expected to monitor the pilot in the right seat mashing buttons on the FCP to try their best to fly a procedure from the charts using various rules of thumb they've learned - then why not let the both pilots monitor the FMS doing a better job of flying the jet!

Thanks a lot! Today I sucessfully did a VOR landing following your instruction.. However, I have a question... It seemed that I didn't have to set VS to descend because VNAV automatically shifted to VGP and descend by itself?