Along Track Offset

Sean G

To enter an along track offset click on the waypoint that the offset will be from, type /-30 or 30 etc for before or after the waypoint then click on that waypoint on the legs and it will insert itself either before or after. 

Make sure the leg is not shorter than the offset or it will not work.  I also found, but could be wrong, that it will not work if there is a discontinuity after the waypoint.

Still learning.

• Like 1

No you do not need an offset for every waypoint.  For my flying, I fly to small airports without an arrival procedure so I'm trying to get down to 10-11000 feet about 30 miles before the airport instead of going direct to an approach procedure, I will vector myself while loosing the altitude listed on the approach plate.

Because of this I like to put in an offset waypoint from the last fix that has the restriction I need of 10-11000 feet.  (I spent alot of time with Radar Contact back in the day).

The 30 or -30 could be any amount.  10, 40, 100 its just what you need.  There is no need to use this but my flying is offline so I have to be my own ATC.

• 2 weeks later...

What Sean means are what are commonly called "along track waypoints" (without "offset"). "Offset" is what's usually called a lateral offset left/right of the planned track (not before/after what Sean thinks of), also referred to in application as SLOP (Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure) employed over the atlantic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lateral_offset_procedure

I haven't found the CL650 FMS to be capable of flying an offset, at least HS's rendition of it.