[SOLVED] "No chart coverage available"

Christophe

Trying to visualize charts of KGPI, KPDX, KAVX without success.

Into the Log.txt, I can find this line:

2022-01-08 23:55:17 CL650[chart_prov_common.c:191]: Error downloading chart index https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2009/xml_data/d-TPP_Metafile.xml: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

If I get the URL and put it in a browser, it leads to a 404 File not Found.

That said, dataset "2113" is available: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2113/xml_data/d-TPP_Metafile.xml

I did not find a file containing that URL, so guess it is backed in a binary one ?

Thanks for your support.

Edited by Pils

• ois650 changed the title to [Open] "No chart coverage available"
  • 3 weeks later...

The SSL error is fixed, but the charts are still unavailable.

So, I tried again, this time with a clean slate:

- XP v11.55r2, freshly updated: meaning I deleted both "Custom Data" and "Resources/default data" and update the install to reinstall from scratch those folders.

- CL650 v1.2r3

When I start a flight session, I can find this message:

2022-01-29 12:12:53 CL650[chart_prov_common.c:198]: Error downloading chart index https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1802/xml_data/d-TPP_Metafile.xml: HTTP error 404

1802, being the AIRAC in XP v11.55r2, I guess.

Querying that URL with a browser leads to a 404 since the data is quite old and not online anymore obviously.

If I query with the current AIRAC: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2201/xml_data/d-TPP_Metafile.xm, it is working.

Before cleaning up the slate, I had a custom nav data AIRAC version "2009" installed into the "Custom Data" folder.

Into the logs, I found the URL was based on that 2009.

Therefore, I can guess the AIRAC version is used to fetch the charts (which has some sense, of course).

But that means that I cannot retrieve real charts if I do not subscribe to Navigraph's nav data ?

If yes, is it possible to have a fallback ? Something like: if the installed AIRAC is too old and the query returns 404, then query the current AIRAC.

Thanks !

Log.txt CL650_Log.txt

Edited by Christophe

16 hours ago, Pils said:

How long is “a bit”? Please post your Log.txt

Last cycle I have is Dec 21. Double checked firewall access and X-Plane is allowed in and out the firewall.

Per log: 2022-01-29 14:27:20 CL650[chart_prov_common.c:198]: Error downloading chart index https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2112/xml_data/d-TPP_Metafile.xml: HTTP error 404

I went to the FAA site and verified the chart exists and it does.

Log.txt

10 hours ago, Peter Clark said:

The chart might exist, but the FAA index link it’s trying to get to doesn’t - 404 Not Found is a server side error code for “you asked for a page I don’t have”..

Interesting, however it does that for every chart I try and pull up. Maybe an issue with my installation?

2 hours ago, jzdilts said:

Interesting, however it does that for every chart I try and pull up. Maybe an issue with my installation?

They’re trying to read a file called TPP-Metafile.xml, which is likely an index of links to the actual procedures (idk how the FAA API works, just an old pilot who’s now a network/firewall jockey) - as long as the index can’t be fetched, none of the files that index references can be fetched, if ya know what I mean. 
Logical that it’s the issue from the report and evidence, educated speculation without knowing exactly how it works. I’m thinking the 2112 in the original URL is probably a reference to the cycle and now that we are on 2201 it broke.

• Pils changed the title to [SOLVED] "No chart coverage available"
16 hours ago, Pils said:

Thanks to some dogged investigation by @oisin650 it seems that the FAA only retain charts for the current and previous AIRAC cycle, e.g. at time of writing, 2201 and 2113. The CL-650’s digital charts function uses the AIRAC cycle associated with installed custom nav data (if present), or default nav data otherwise, to fetch the charts from the FAA. (Which makes sense, one would want charts to match one’s nav data.) However, this means that if one only has default nav data then the FAA chart function is unavailable, because X-Plane ships with nav data from 2018 and these charts have long ago been removed from the FAA’s digital chart service. The solution right now is to have up to date nav data, this is available to purchase from Aerosoft or Navigraph. (I highly recommend the Navigraph Ultimate subscription that gets one access to global Jeppesen charts in the avionics instead! #notsponsored)

Thank you, that makes sense! I will look into resubscribing.