Weather Radar

rserpieri

Hi all,

First, congratulations to the HotStart Team for this amazing masterpiece!

The level of detail and depth of the simulation is astonishing.

It might be just me but I can't turn on the weather Radar or, more precisely, the WX Radar seems to be on according to the indications on the PFD and MFD but I don't see any return while flying through an area of intense precipitation.

Furthermore, I do not have any control of the Tilt.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Roberto

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't we have a least the default XP weather radar? It's better than nothing, it's a bit disappointing that such a great product is lacking this essential tool that we use quite extensively in real life (really love this product btw, specially as I am working on my CL65 type rating)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/1/2022 at 18:39, njflyer said:

¿No podríamos tener al menos el radar meteorológico XP predeterminado? Es mejor que nada, es un poco decepcionante que un producto tan bueno carezca de esta herramienta esencial que usamos bastante en la vida real (realmente me encanta este producto por cierto, especialmente porque estoy trabajando en mi calificación de tipo CL65)

Coincido totalmente ...

• 11 months later...
28 minutes ago, Pils said:

No. The sim still does not provide access to the required raw data. We continue to wait for Laminar.

What data is required from them to make the radar work? Do they plan on giving access to the data? It is a shame this beautiful Jet does not have weather radar capability. 

24 minutes ago, Tim121 said:

What data is required from them to make the radar work? Do they plan on giving access to the data? It is a shame this beautiful Jet does not have weather radar capability. 

There are no hooks to read in positional weather data from X-Plane. Therefore, a weather radar cannot be produced if we are not fed the information on where and what type of clouds/weather X-Plane draws in a tile.

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

There are no hooks to read in positional weather data from X-Plane. Therefore, a weather radar cannot be produced if we are not fed the information on where and what type of clouds/weather X-Plane draws in a tile.

So the weather radar in the TBM would not work in X Plane 12 as well? 

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

No. Until Laminar opens up their weather API, there will be no weather radars. In v11 for the TBM it was a rather crude hack to even get it to work as was.

Have attempts been made to contact Laminar regarding the possibility of 'opening their weather API'?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 1:46 AM, Pils said:

Oh yes, they are well aware of what's needed.

Imho the Hot Start Challenger is a major pull factor for X-Plane. I hope that the X-Plane guys have weather radar relevant APIs high on their prio list.

Depending on how long that is going to take, it might be worth into looking for a "non-perfect", cheap stop-gap solution, like at least getting a top-down weather view when the WXR button is used. 
As a first step, it might be better than having nothing at all, before we finally get the X-Plane APIs and then all the radar modes, tilt/gain and what not.

Edited by bpcw0001

On 6/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, ois650 said:

Hot Start doesn't do non-perfect! :D

That's obvious :) .We're talking interim/stop-gap here in case the X-Plane guys take too long to get the WX radar relevant API sorted. Not the final thing. It seems we don't even have an ETA for the respective APIs yet.

Edited by bpcw0001
  • Upvote 1