VR Feedback/Recommendations

JC_YYZ

Just a couple of things I found in my testing this morning.

Using HDR and the Popup Panels from the Challenger 650 menu all panel are displayed in VR but you cannot interact with them with the VR controller.

If you popout the DCP 1 or the CCP 1 you can interact with then using the VR controller.

Hopping that every update we can help make this great aircraft more VR friendly.

Not confident enough to fly it yet but am enjoying the journey. :)

Edited by sparker256

5 hours ago, severniae said:

Hi Goran,

I will contact you on Discord a little later on today - I put together the switch fixes so I think I know what needs to where..

Best,

James

James ( @severniae) has been leading the 'technical' charge on this, so I would nominate him to be the contact with @Goran_M in Discord.

Thanks to everyone for making VR part of the ongoing conversation. Great community effort.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sparker256 said:

Did you talk to Goran about having the throttles connected together like we have seen in other aircraft?

I have seen a click spot for either or both throttles.

Yes that is critical since manipulating one lever at a time is rather dangerous. :)

Also, I don’t know if it’s something you can configure or if it requires code. But in the TBM, you get a nudge on your controler when you enter the throttle manipulator volume or exit it. That is super useful because you can keep your eyes outside. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wavecourage said:

With the help of severniae, the VR config file has been modified to allow for better VR manipulation of switches, knobs and a few additional hot spots. I have attached the updated VR config file to drop into your CL650 aircraft folder. Should you want to have the  pressure manual alt 3 way switch to work properly in VR (overhead panel top right of the aircraft red switch), You will need to go into the Cockpit OBJ file and change the following. locate the similar text and replace it with the one provided here. (The x/y/z was changed a bit to allow for the proper manipulation)  

ATTR_manip_command_axis    hand    0    -0.050000001    0    CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up        CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down        Manual Altitude Select. 

If you don't do this, you will get a VR config file error, but it won't impact anything. You can just click understood and keep it moving.

Please note the DISCLAIMER, the file is not officially supported by X-Aviation, Hot Start or LES

CL650_vrconfig.txt 10.64 kB · 11 downloads

I noticed in the pilot seated position that this configurate results in the viewpoint being further back and higher than the default seated position based on the eye alignment markers.

1 minute ago, jrrogers said:

I noticed in the pilot seated position that this configurate results in the viewpoint being further back and higher than the default seated position based on the eye alignment markers.

the hotspot for pilot seating I created was based on my position and height where I like to sit and you can always adjust the hotspot either with VR tools or just center yourself by moving your body and adjust as needed when pressing your VR re-center button. The hotspot locations are general in their nature and atleast bring you quickly to the spots and can be adjusted as needed. Please feel free to modify as needed to fit your preference

23 minutes ago, jrrogers said:

I agree, the position is out of limits for the HUD unfortunately. I think Severniae's version was non-adjusted which didnt mess up the HUD

Edited by Dobbie93

On 1/9/2022 at 6:26 PM, JC_YYZ said:

I have to say that this plane is leaps and bounds ahead of some planes when it comes to VR. Nothing is worse than being inside a cockpit and seeing how out of proportion eveything is (small/huge thrust levers, weird flap handles, etc). Just hopping in with a VR headset would make some developers probably laugh out loud!

My biggest beef is the size of the yoke (in VR). It's about 75% true to life. Other than that most of the other things are very accurate. 

Edited by hbeckd

On 1/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, K4bel123 said:

Do you guys also have to set HDR to on in order to use the HUD? If I use the Medium option, the HUD symbology appears below the glass for me. I'd love to be able to use it in the Medium option as my frames are tanking otherwise :/

I've heard this has been an issue with people using ShaderX. Not sure if you have it or not. I don't have any shader plugin's and I can use non-HDR with perfect alignment on the HUD. 

• Like 1

Hi hbeckd, thanks for the feedback! I actually do not use any add-on shader program (at least not that I am aware of it. will double check). If it were possible to use the HUD with HDR turned OFF, that would be a game changer for me (and surely for quite a few others as well). Perhaps @skiselkov can help out with this one/clarify?

13 hours ago, hbeckd said:

I've heard this has been an issue with people using ShaderX. Not sure if you have it or not. I don't have any shader plugin's and I can use non-HDR with perfect alignment on the HUD. 

Throwing in my support for VR...

I've been using VR since October 2017 with a CV1 and since have never used my 2D monitor for simming (or really any gaming, TBH). I now have a Reverb G2, and it is glorious. VR is the future, and I think it's time developers stopped relegating VR to the bottom of the barrel just because it's too "niche".

It is not. Not anymore.

Having said that, I applaud and thank HotStart working with our VR community to get this plane "up to snuff" with respect to VR.

I've been waiting 23 years for a business jet simulation of this caliber. My credit card is so close to being ready. But I'm waiting to see how the dev team implements VR into this otherwise masterpiece of an aircraft. In the short term, I really want to see proper manipulator spots (throttle, appropriate knob sensitivity and rocker switch manipulation, etc...) and all of the study menus become easily accessible with the VR controller. In the longer term, it would be nice if the phone, fuel truck, walkaround and FBO became VR-friendly.

Thanks again for all the brilliant work on the Challenger. But please do a great job with VR.

-Elliot

Edited by Eman

2 hours ago, Eman said:

Throwing in my support for VR...

I've been using VR since October 2017 with a CV1 and since have never used my 2D monitor for simming (or really any gaming, TBH). I now have a Reverb G2, and it is glorious. VR is the future, and I think it's time developers stopped relegating VR to the bottom of the barrel just because it's too "niche".

It is not. Not anymore.

Having said that, I applaud and thank HotStart working with our VR community to get this plane "up to snuff" with respect to VR.

I've been waiting 23 years for a business jet simulation of this caliber. My credit card is so close to being ready. But I'm waiting to see how the dev team implements VR into this otherwise masterpiece of an aircraft. In the short term, I really want to see proper manipulator spots (throttle, appropriate knob sensitivity and rocker switch manipulation, etc...) and all of the study menus become easily accessible with the VR controller. In the longer term, it would be nice if the phone, fuel truck, walkaround and FBO became VR-friendly.

Thanks again for all the brilliant work on the Challenger. But please do a great job with VR.

-Elliot

Nearly all you mention is already compatible. If you use my config file, all the rocker switches and knobs work just fine. I think once thats sorted, the only thing will be the FBO 2d menus to communicate with the FBO/fuel truck etc.. then, it will be perfect!

On 1/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, K4bel123 said:

Hi hbeckd, thanks for the feedback! I actually do not use any add-on shader program (at least not that I am aware of it. will double check). If it were possible to use the HUD with HDR turned OFF, that would be a game changer for me (and surely for quite a few others as well). Perhaps @skiselkov can help out with this one/clarify?

I'd recommend making a dedicated post to this. The developers have been really good about getting to them. Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, severniae said:

Nearly all you mention is already compatible. If you use my config file, all the rocker switches and knobs work just fine. I think once thats sorted, the only thing will be the FBO 2d menus to communicate with the FBO/fuel truck etc.. then, it will be perfect!

Yeah, I saw from earlier in this thread but didn’t know if your fix was officially supported by the dev team yet. Hopefully it will be official in an upcoming update. Thank you for tackling this. 

1 hour ago, severniae said:

The cl650 has its own interactive checklist, so no need for an add-on - just another thing to potentially go wrong!

To each there own. With mine if you click on the correct button it will check it for you as I did not see the provided checklist doing that. I may have missed something but just trying to new VR users.:)

PS I happen to be the coauthor of Xchecklist and it was the first plugin to support VR when it became possible in X-Plane and have found it to be very stable over many years now. I also have never ran out of room in a VR cockpit.

Edited by sparker256

On 1/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, severniae said:

Hi All,

I'm in touch with Goran - I'm just updating my config file to catch a few rotaries / switches I missed on my first pass and will be sending it to him later on today.

Best,

James

Is it possible that we could get the files you sent to Goran so we could also test till we have a update from HotStart.

Thanks Bill

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mike10 said:

Hi, could someone please tell me where to find the vr config file?

Hey Mike, you can use the OBJ file that is available in a post in this chat. Disclaimer is that the modified obj file is not directly supported by hotstart, les or xaviation at this time , but we received approval for the time being. Once you place that obj file in yhe objects folder, you can yhen download the vr config file and place that in yhe cl650 main aircraft folder and all should then work for you. Enjoy 

Currently there is no VR config file except for the one that severniae and I created. 

I find the chart zoom button is not working with the controllers. Is it because I don't have the latest updated files?

Otherwise great job for all the teleport spot placements and switches, it is just AWESOME to fly the 650 in VR :wub:. The modeling, the sounds, the systems. Oh my god, simply next level of immersion!!! THANK YOU TOTO AND @Goran_M!!!! My #1 sim dream of having a biz jet finally came true in the form of the BEST add-on ever, and from no other than my favorite add-on developers of all time.

Cherry on top is it's the Challenger and I am from Québec, based in CYUL. :P

8 hours ago, sparker256 said:

To each there own. With mine if you click on the correct button it will check it for you as I did not see the provided checklist doing that.

I did not know that @sparker256! I love x-checklist and I use it in the TBM. Thanks.

The checklist config files of the C650 are modifiable. There are some parts of the checklist where the F/O continues when the switch is OK so I guess we could add that to the parts of the checklist where he always waits for our input. I am even thinking of making him work the checklists (or part of them) before taxi.