VR Feedback/Recommendations

JC_YYZ

5 hours ago, Wavecourage said:

I was able to modify the object file and create a VR config file which includes some teleport spots as well as the ability to properly control the yoke. I have not touched anything else as I think they will come with an update at some point and are not required as a needed item at the moment (ex. 3 way switches.). Just skip those items in the checklist and you'll be fine. Also, if you want to control any interior cabin lighting, you will have to do it outside of VR until they make some changes to allow for manipulation with the VR controllers.

You should be able to just drop the cockpit obj. file into the objects folder and overwrite. The VR config file will include the hotspots and Yoke manipulation. You can modify the movement to your liking as needed. I'm not sure why this was not included in the beginning as it's a simple thing to do, but here you go.  

CL650_vrconfig.txt

Edited by Graeme_77
Object removed pending clarification from developers

2 hours ago, Wavecourage said:

You should be able to just drop the cockpit obj. file into the objects folder and overwrite. The VR config file will include the hotspots and Yoke manipulation. You can modify the movement to your liking as needed. I'm not sure why this was not included in the beginning as it's a simple thing to do, but here you go.  

CL650_cockpit.obj 6.76 MB · 6 downloads CL650_vrconfig.txt 2.35 kB · 6 downloads

Do you have permission from HotStart to redistribute their cockpit file...?

5 hours ago, Wavecourage said:

CL650_cockpit.obj 6.76 MB · 8 downloads CL650_vrconfig.txt 2.35 kB · 8 downloads

Please do not redistribute our cockpit object file, or any other files in the CL650.  

The obj files undergo constant changes through updates.  Please, just post the self made vrconfig file, with instructions on how to implement it.

I don't have any issues about vrconfig files being created, as long as there is a disclaimer stating that the file is not officially supported by X-Aviation, Hot Start or LES.

If you want to modify the cockpit object file, please contact me directly, either though these forums or on discord, and I'm happy to work with you to help create one.  If I have it in my blend file, I can export it with each update, so your one doesn't get overwritten.  The very first update will have major changes to the cockpit object file.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Please do not redistribute our cockpit object file, or any other files in the CL650.  

The obj files undergo constant changes through updates.  Please, just post the self made file, with instructions on how to implement it.

I don't have any issues about vrconfig files being created, as long as there is a disclaimer stating that the file is not officially supported by X-Aviation, Hot Start or LES.

If you want to modify the cockpit object file, please contact me directly, either though these forums or on discord, and I'm happy to work with you to help create one.  If I have it in my blend file, I can export it with each update, so your one doesn't get overwritten.

Hi Goran, No problem. I was unaware I could not redistribute the OBJ file as I figured it was only an OBJ file and not the whole plane or information. I only distributed the OBJ file to help any VR users on a quick fix (before an update) to allow for yoke manipulation. I didn't add any files, I only made some wording changes to allow for a proper VR config file to be created so as to not have a crash when loading the plane. I ran into that issue a few times. I don't normally post anything, but I saw some frustration among VR users and figured I could quickly help for the short time being when I figured it out myself. If in the future I need to make some changes and want to help fellow VR users, I will reach out to you directly before considering distribution. I understand there will be updates and I'm sure all the kinks will be worked out. I have several of your products and the VR work is very nice after some time. If in the future you guys need any beta testers for VR in an aircraft, please let me know and I will be glad to help as best I can. Have a great one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wavecourage said:

Hi Goran, No problem. I was unaware I could not redistribute the OBJ file as I figured it was only an OBJ file and not the whole plane or information. I only distributed the OBJ file to help any VR users on a quick fix (before an update) to allow for yoke manipulation. I didn't add any files, I only made some wording changes to allow for a proper VR config file to be created so as to not have a crash when loading the plane. I ran into that issue a few times. I don't normally post anything, but I saw some frustration among VR users and figured I could quickly help for the short time being when I figured it out myself. If in the future I need to make some changes and want to help fellow VR users, I will reach out to you directly before considering distribution. I understand there will be updates and I'm sure all the kinks will be worked out. I have several of your products and the VR work is very nice after some time. If in the future you guys need any beta testers for VR in an aircraft, please let me know and I will be glad to help as best I can. Have a great one!

After some consideration, and after reading your post, I’ve decided to allow it. Feel free to edit your post and re-attach the file. But please add a disclaimer that we don’t officially support it for now. For more permanent changes, please get in touch with me so we can collaborate. 

Edited by Goran_M
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, louism said:

So @Wavecourage, could you point me to a tutorial / docs so I can make my own (which I would not distribute). I know how to do the vrconfig file but not the obj part.

you could watch some simvrlabs tutorials on youtube and that helped locate the information needed to modify the obj file as needed and where to locate the trans and rotate information to help create the vr config file. the hotspots i used vr tools to add those in the vr config file. 

Per the approval of Goran, I'm going to reattach the OBJ file to be used until there is an update.

With the approval to distribute, the attached OBJ file has been modified to be used to help allow for Yoke Manipulation. Please note the DISCLAIMER, the file is not officially supported by X-Aviation, Hot Start or LES. I have also included the VR config file that you can adjust to your liking if needed. If you are unfamiliar with how to use the file, download the obj file and drop it into the CL650 object folder and overwrite. You can then drop the VR config txt file into the CL650 aircraft file and you'll be all set. 

CL650_cockpit.obj CL650_vrconfig.txt

• Like 1

@Wavecourage Would you like to include my switch / axis configurations to your VRConfig file? See this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f8nNLFwdpOiXRsFJ35bQJuhWWeNi_4fj/view?usp=sharing

@Goran_M There are a number of 3 position switches in the CL650 that due to their configuration in your object file, do not work as intended in VR (they get stuck in whichever position you drag them.

As an example see the VR vonfiguration for the manual cabin alt switch. This is the config required in the VR config file to make the switch act as intended:

BEGIN_MANIP command_axis CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down 
ACTION command_switch_up_down CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down 
HOLD_MANIP
END_MANIP

However, I also had to make the following change in the obj file so that the switches both work in the correct directions in both VR, and in normal monitor mode:

ATTR_manip_command_axis    hand    0    -0.050000001    0    CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up        CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down        Manual Altitude Select

You'll note that I've had to reverse the datarefs, and change the x/y/z so that the switch operates in a different direction. 

I heard you guys on the HS team don't have much to do with VR - I'm happy to offer my services if you need any VR input...

Since we are all trying different things it might be good to compare two different files. I develop on Linux but fly VR on Windows so was looking for something similar to what I use on Linux. I use Notebook++ to look at files on Windows and found that there is a plugin for it called compare that seems to do what I was looking for. Hope this help in our quest to make this a even better VR aircraft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JC_YYZ said:

This is great to see everyone working together and helping each other out. It's also great to see us VR users working with the devs. This is what makes us keep coming back to support a great product.

Yes. That's how it happened on the TBM too. The community helped Goran and Toto a lot. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sparker256 said:

Most of the popouts are showing in 2d and not in VR. Only the overhead panel is showing in VR but you can not use your VR controllers or the VR mouse to interact with it. The panels that are popped out in 2d can be interacted with using the desktop mouse.

Did popups work in the TBM?

If I pop out the 2d windows I can then use OVR Toolkit to put them in VR. Everything work except for rotating knobs. So switches and buttons seem to work fine. This will help me learn the plane in VR till we have better VR panel interaction.

I have followed the checklist up till the FMS but need to so some more learning to go past that step.

9 hours ago, severniae said:

@Wavecourage Would you like to include my switch / axis configurations to your VRConfig file? See this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f8nNLFwdpOiXRsFJ35bQJuhWWeNi_4fj/view?usp=sharing

@Goran_M There are a number of 3 position switches in the CL650 that due to their configuration in your object file, do not work as intended in VR (they get stuck in whichever position you drag them.

As an example see the VR vonfiguration for the manual cabin alt switch. This is the config required in the VR config file to make the switch act as intended:

BEGIN_MANIP command_axis CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down 
ACTION command_switch_up_down CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down 
HOLD_MANIP
END_MANIP

However, I also had to make the following change in the obj file so that the switches both work in the correct directions in both VR, and in normal monitor mode:

ATTR_manip_command_axis    hand    0    -0.050000001    0    CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up        CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down        Manual Altitude Select

You'll note that I've had to reverse the datarefs, and change the x/y/z so that the switch operates in a different direction. 

I heard you guys on the HS team don't have much to do with VR - I'm happy to offer my services if you need any VR input...

9 hours ago, severniae said:

HOLD_MANIP
END_MANIP

This was great stuff and I will definitely use this in my vr config file. The switches feel much better now. I will upload the modified VR config file when I get home a bit later. I guess anybody using the aircraft can just modify the obj file themselves for the Alt switch to work properly. I ran a quick test and it worked great. How did you manage to change the hotspot direction to look backwards? I only know how to add the hotspots, but they always look forward :) 

With the help of severniae, the VR config file has been modified to allow for better VR manipulation of switches, knobs and a few additional hot spots. I have attached the updated VR config file to drop into your CL650 aircraft folder. Should you want to have the  pressure manual alt 3 way switch to work properly in VR (overhead panel top right of the aircraft red switch), You will need to go into the Cockpit OBJ file and change the following. locate the similar text and replace it with the one provided here. (The x/y/z was changed a bit to allow for the proper manipulation)  

ATTR_manip_command_axis    hand    0    -0.050000001    0    CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_up        CL650/overhead/press/man/alt_down        Manual Altitude Select. 

If you don't do this, you will get a VR config file error, but it won't impact anything. You can just click understood and keep it moving.

Please note the DISCLAIMER, the file is not officially supported by X-Aviation, Hot Start or LES

CL650_vrconfig.txt

• Upvote 1

I have all the configurations to make all the other 3 position switches work correctly on my other computer - @Wavecourage I will send them to you tomorrow - they will require more OBJ file edits, but it's only 5 or 6 of them and I'll post each line that needs changing so it's just a quick copy/paste exercise.

Regarding direction of the hotspots see:    PRESET_PSI 180.0000

Best,

James

• Upvote 1

Obviously, I'm quite busy with the update. If you all want to get together and pool your efforts to make it easier on me to implement any changes to the blend file, I'm happy to do that.  If any or all of you are in the discord group, can you choose a "spokesperson" to DM me to implement any changes, and after I make them, I'll hand out a cockpit object file for testing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1