AMD GPU Vulkan flicker.

zeagull

Some internal and external elements flicker on AMD Cards when running Vulkan, dropping back to OpenGL is not really a solution because AMD does not bother to optimise for OpenGL anymore, so performance suffers massively

While I know this is technically AMD's problem, it feels like I've basically thrown $115 into the bin, is there maybe anyway I could get a refund or could you fix this issue like FJS did for their Q4XP in update 1.13

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, dipperdolphin said:

Can get pretty bad for me - https://streamable.com/zqew7o

I really hope AMD get to fixing this... I have sent them a support request. I am on the latest AMD drivers, on the RX 580.

Its been an issue for a while now, really the only solution is for the aircraft developer to create some sort of workaround because AMD cannot be bothered to.

• Like 1

I also have this unfortunately. I tried to remove X-TCAS and OpenWXR from the plugin folder (because this works for other affected airplanes like the A300 or FJS 732), but this makes the CL650 unflyable.

I get rid of the problem if I do not use any volumetric clouds like xEnviro. Maybe this helps for you.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sportstar said:

I also have this unfortunately. I tried to remove X-TCAS and OpenWXR from the plugin folder (because this works for other affected airplanes like the A300 or FJS 732), but this makes the CL650 unflyable.

I get rid of the problem if I do not use any volumetric clouds like xEnviro. Maybe this helps for you.

My X-Plane is completely stock other than the challenger, this has persisted over multiple X-Plane and Windows installs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zeagull said:

Its been an issue for a while now, really the only solution is for the aircraft developer to create some sort of workaround because AMD cannot be bothered to.

The aircraft developer can't really create a workaround for that, that's an issue within the driver. I'm dev on the FJS Q400 and the "fix" we have is more of a placebo, it works in some cases but makes things worse in others. I know it's not a satisfying answer, I'm sorry for that, but until AMD decides to do something about it there's not much for the team to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amyinorbit said:

The aircraft developer can't really create a workaround for that, that's an issue within the driver. I'm dev on the FJS Q400 and the "fix" we have is more of a placebo, it works in some cases but makes things worse in others. I know it's not a satisfying answer, I'm sorry for that, but until AMD decides to do something about it there's not much for the team to do.

Is there any indication what are other devs doing differently that means they avoid the issue ?

8 hours ago, flanisher said:

For me the flickering comes and goes.  I've found that a view change (exterior then back to interior) can "reset" things for you so that the flickering may go away.  I've also found that manipulating screens can cause the flickering to go away.  

Comes and goes for me too, but no rhythm or reason I can see. Really hope this is fixed, as whilst its somewhat bearable on the interior, the exterior affects are completely destroyed by it.

17 hours ago, flanisher said:

For me the flickering comes and goes.  I've found that a view change (exterior then back to interior) can "reset" things for you so that the flickering may go away.  I've also found that manipulating screens can cause the flickering to go away.  

yeap that works for me in a 70 percent on the flight i mean if u fly 1 hour u only have a 18 minutes some times of flickering or less

I saw 21.8.2 helping others on different forums, never fully fixed it but reduced it. I traded my 6600XT for a 1080 on my local used market so I cant really help you with prices.

One thing is for sure though, Ill never buy another AMD product again.

Edited by zeagull

Hello. I have been dealing with AMD flashing since I purchased my 6900xt. Laminar stated they have asked AMD to fix the issue. As we all know it is an AMD Windows Driver bug. My 23 other games and two sims have no flashing. So I live with it.

Unfortunately, for me it happens on two add-on aircraft companies I love to purchase products from and support. All the others are fine. And it ONLY happens in combination with  weather add-on products with these aircraft, except for default XP weather and Active Sky. Again, not an issue with the products per se, but the AMD Windows driver bug.

My solution.....I have no flashing with these aircraft when I switch to default weather with AS. I keep my plugins to a minimum and problem is gone. Well at least I think its gone :).

For those of you who are still having flashing issues. Try to turn of Synthetic Vision.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IronCondor said:

Hello. I have been dealing with AMD flashing since I purchased my 6900xt. Laminar stated they have asked AMD to fix the issue. As we all know it is an AMD Windows Driver bug. My 23 other games and two sims have no flashing. So I live with it.

Unfortunately, for me it happens on two add-on aircraft companies I love to purchase products from and support. All the others are fine. And it ONLY happens in combination with  weather add-on products with these aircraft, except for default XP weather and Active Sky. Again, not an issue with the products per se, but the AMD Windows driver bug.

My solution.....I have no flashing with these aircraft when I switch to default weather with AS. I keep my plugins to a minimum and problem is gone. Well at least I think its gone :).

For those of you who are still having flashing issues. Try to turn of Synthetic Vision.

Hope this helps!

I use default weather with ASXP, and still have flashing. Synthetic vision is always off.

The issue is it does not affect completely stock X-Plane, only when you have addons installed, so AMD has almost no reason to patch it, there is no magic combination to preventing it really, just depends how said addons are made or implemented by the developer, its a driver level issue so it will always be there.

Edited by zeagull