VR Graphical Glitches

CajunJosh

Two observations I had tonight while flying at night in VR.  All exterior lights seem to be working perfectly with the exception of the red beacon light.  In VR you can see the light is activating and deactivating but it's not giving off any visible light.  You have to be zoomed in to actually see that the texture is illuminating and it's not producing any reflections on the fuselage or the ground like the strobes and other lighting are.

The other observation was a blue glow phasing through the glare shield (presumably coming from the PFD.  It was hard to capture an image of this but I've done my best.  If you need any additional information please let me know.  Same username in the discord.

Blue Glow.png

you must be in an exterior view to get that light working. The blue spill is an X-Plane lighting limitation. A light is used to cast the PFD glow but X-plane isn't aware of masking for this light. We are aware of it but there isn't much to do about it due to the lighting engine and removing it reduces the overall fidelity of the lighting.

1 hour ago, sparker256 said:

Am I the only one that is seeing some strange behavior when outside the plane in VR?

I always try to see what can be highlighted but I am not sure what is above the plane.

20220109100538_1.jpg

I definitely haven't experienced that in VR - but I don't enter VR until I am inside the plane and through most of the checklist items (after passengers are loaded and door is closed).

3 minutes ago, sparker256 said:

Turns out my issue is related to my head position. If I am sitting then the skin is not rendered but it I stand up then the plane is rendered correctly. I do not see this behavior in the TBM.

That’s interesting. I have not experienced that. Can you reset your head position in VR settings and fool it into thinking you’re standing when you’re actually sitting?

1 minute ago, JC_YYZ said:

That’s interesting. I have not experienced that. Can you reset your head position in VR settings and fool it into thinking you’re standing when you’re actually sitting?

I set my floor height by putting my headset on the floor and telling it that is 0 so think that is correct. The fact that the TBM looks correct makes me think something if different with the model of the 650. 

10 minutes ago, sparker256 said:

The fact that the TBM looks correct makes me think something if different with the model of the 650. 

I remember one of the developers mentioning that (when in 2D mode) the viewpoints were set in such a way to replicate the eyepoint of an average height person - so basically you are seeing the plane in proper perspective as if you were actually standing in front of it. I wonder if that is affecting the VR eyepoint? 

1 minute ago, JC_YYZ said:

I remember one of the developers mentioning that (when in 2D mode) the viewpoints were set in such a way to replicate the eyepoint of an average height person - so basically you are seeing the plane in proper perspective as if you were actually standing in front of it. I wonder if that is affecting the VR eyepoint? 

Thanks that is good info and if this is a design choice it would mean that it is not wrong and will not change.