Landing

Graeme_77

The Challenger can be hard work on the approach and landing, but when it all comes together it's very rewarding. All the beta testers had difficulty learning how to land, it's all part of the fun.

On approach be aware that unlike aircraft like the 737, the pitch response to power is reversed, that means a power increase will see the aircraft pitch down for a moment. This can lead to an oscillation developing, so be sure to fly the pitch attitude accurately. If you find you're wobbling up and down, aim to make smooth power changes, and remember the HUD flight path vector is useful tool, but can get you into trouble too.

A useful check is 0.6 on the AoA index on approach. If it's higher than that, you're too slow. Remember Vref +5, and check your weights on the approach ref page.

For the landing flare, lift the nose to to arrest the rate of descent, starting at just below 40 ft. Make a smooth power reduction and fly the aircraft onto the runway. The pitch attitude in the flare is around 3 degrees, but look at the end of the runway, not the HUD!

You'll have plenty of time for butter later, so for now put the aircraft down positively in the touchdown zone. If you go butter hunting, you'll only find little bounces - ask me how I know!

Once you've landed, extend the flight spoilers (the ground spoilers are automatic, but the flight spoilers need to be raised by pulling the lever), use the reversers and you're down.

And stay away from that HLIS button, it'll trick you into making your landings worse!

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

Hi Graeme,

The more landing i do the worst they are getting. I bounced almost at every landing even on firm / positive landing.

I am for VREF +7 and making sure that the AoA is 0.6 max.

However on release, during my landing trainning, i never bounced, it feels like the ground effect has changed in between

On 1/23/2022 at 3:32 PM, dlrk said:

I'm a bit confused about what speed to be targeting for crossing the threshold/touchdown. Do I want to cross the threshold at vref and touchdown below vref, or do I want to cross the threshold at vref+wind additive and touchdown at vref?

You want to time it to be at Vref at the threshold.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...