Hot batteries?

legofreak85

Hi there! I recently did a flight with the SAAB after a long time and during final I got a master warning for "ELEC" and I looked up and saw my batteries have failed. They were too hot (75°) and turned off automatically. When I turned them to override they turned on again. What did I do wrong to cause hot batteries? Thx

Yep, I found the same icing/stall problem, but if you anticipate icing conditions and turn AI on before ice starts forming you can avoid the situation you describe. Also, if it starts to accumulate and the AI is not shedding it, descending to a lower altitude with warmer OAT can help.

Cheers.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:31 AM, Cam said:

Yep, I found the same icing/stall problem, but if you anticipate icing conditions and turn AI on before ice starts forming you can avoid the situation you describe. Also, if it starts to accumulate and the AI is not shedding it, descending to a lower altitude with warmer OAT can help.

Cheers.

Anti Ice was on during takeoff (I turned it on right after engine start up and taxied to the runway, anti ice was on for 10 minutes before takeoff) and what about the hot battery (post above)? Thx

Any info, please @Cam?

Edited by legofreak85

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the “anti” ice. Saab has good rich system for wing leading edges deicing. Which is operating and succesfully removing ice only after some accumulation of ice, otherwise too soon using it will make edge of the wing much easier to keep ice.

But, the problem with Leading Edge Saab is that automatic function of wing deice is not working. You have to use manual click once in a while…

3 hours ago, Tom4 said:

Yes I have of course. Automatic switch will activate only one loop of deicing process

There are three minutes between cycles when using "CONT".  Turn on the "BOOT IND" and observe the annunciators as they cycle between the diff boots, then extinguish for 3 minutes, then cycle again.  I have no other reports of this not working.

X-plane is probably a touch aggressive, but at the same time an A model doesn’t have a huge amount of thrust and would also have been given a hit of de-ice fluid before departure.

At 2000ft it should climb still, dare say xp gave you severe icing which a saab can only escape from, not hang around in. That screen shot the speed is below minimum clean ice, so it probably would stall at that point IRL.

You want to be 160 kts and use IAS mode for a climb in ice.

Edited by N1K
  • Like 1