737-300 1.33 Tutorial 2 Dual-Channel Autoland Issues

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

If your preference file is the cause of your problem, you are just copying over the problem. Dont do that.

Of course, that's what I meant. If you already have a new copy of XP - do not copy the old "preferences" folder.
My point was to delete the contents of this folder while you are still struggling with stata (your original) XP version.

Ok - thanks for your help.  I have a new XP install, a new AC install, fresh preference file and keyboard/joystick configs and - still have a variety of problems. One thing that was going on is that I wasn't familiar with the XP map functionality, and the window with speed, elevation, heading etc was only showing the elevation, so that was the only thing I was adjusting.  I thought the other parameters you mentioned must have been in the AC, but puzzling since I didn't know how one could set pitch.  

At any rate I still have issues, and they are inconsistent.  One strange thing is that the AC shakes a bit even under normal circumstances, but even more so with moving stuff around with the map.

So I've spent probably a hundred hours on this and I'm done - brain fried and frustrated.  And ready to have fun again with the sim. So off to other AC and beautiful places to see!  

Thanks again for your assistance. 

• Like 1

I am sorry that you still have problems - but at the same time I am fairly certain that they are due to "operator error". While our aircraft is certainly not perfect, the problems you describe are certainly unique. Just the fact that you place an aircraft with 0 airspeed into midair and then are confused why it "pitches up and is uncontrollable" makes me think that maybe there are further issues like that which make the 737 exhibit "unexplicable" behaviour for you.

But you are right - it is most important to have fun when playing flightsimulation games and if something causes frustration - it is sometimes best to just move on.

All the best, Jan

On 11/17/2021 at 11:32 AM, Bulva said:

Have you tried (before you do a fresh clean XP installation) to remove the contents of the 'preferences' folder:

....: \ X-Plane 11 \ Output \ preferences \

???

(i.e. move it a safe place or copy and rename - so as not to lose the joystick settings etc)

17 hours ago, Litjan said:

I am sorry that you still have problems - but at the same time I am fairly certain that they are due to "operator error". While our aircraft is certainly not perfect, the problems you describe are certainly unique. Just the fact that you place an aircraft with 0 airspeed into midair and then are confused why it "pitches up and is uncontrollable" makes me think that maybe there are further issues like that which make the 737 exhibit "unexplicable" behaviour for you.

But you are right - it is most important to have fun when playing flightsimulation games and if something causes frustration - it is sometimes best to just move on.

All the best, Jan

I totally agree that it's operator error.  Frustrating that I can't understand or figure out what's going on - especially given I have a lot of experience with other aircraft.  My original issue was ILS Autoland not working as described, then a mess trying to solve that.  Maybe I'll come back to it after giving it a rest.  I can also fly it manually and use autopilot for flight phases other than landing.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - after letting this rest for a while I came back to look at this once again - and I figured it out.  Pretty simple, as we all knew it would be.  The ILS frequency for the runway has changed since the tutorial was published, so of course it wouldn't acquire LOC or G/S.  Works like a charm with the right stuff.  Several other things had been changed as well and I had caught those, but not this one.  Aaarrrggg. So much time down the drain.  Oh well.....I got to know the aircraft pretty darn well after all those attempts.  And learned about the XP Map relocate function which is invaluable.  

Sometimes it is the easy thing that is hard to spot! I am happy that you figured out what was the problem and hope that you can enjoy the 737 now! :)

A little anecdote: You would not believe how many CATIIIa approaches got off to a bad start because the (professionally trained) pilots forgot to tune the ILS on the second set and then could not engage the second autopilot... ;)

Edited by Litjan