Exceeding Max Torque Limit - Dataref?

ricktana

Occasionally, I will exceed max torque, usually on descent. (Yeah, yeah, bad pilotage, I know) My home cockpit setup is such that I am head down in the instrument panel quite often and don't see the "Overtorque Warning" displayed at the top of the screen.  Therefore, sometimes I don't notice it right away and always wonder if I have done damage to the engine.  I am wanting to create a Master Warning light and tone using SPAD.neXT whenever max torque is exceeded. I cannot can't seem to locate a dataref that changes state when max torque is exceeded. Is there a dataref I can use to make this happen? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Rick S.

1271713642_PhotoApr17125422PM.thumb.JPEG.7ea8439c1887504e97d8846d4f12d93a.JPEG

First of all, nice setup.

The torque is determined by the values entered in the acf file, under the engine parameters within Planemaker.  The warnings are coded around that.  So there isn't really any dataref that could help.  I'm not sure how home cockpit setups work with that kind of thing, but if you could somehow set it up to alert you when you reach the max torque limit in the acf file, that could probably help.

Goran,

I didn't have any luck with PlaneMaker, but I think I may have found a solution.  There is an X-Plane dataref called "sim/flightmodel/engine/ENGN_TRQ:0" that has a numerical value that increases with torque. Using SPAD.neXt, I set up a condition when that dataref exceeds 3035 which coincides with 101% torque, it sets off the fire warning bell. Not realistic, I know, but it definately gets your attention. I set this up at Courchevel airport, facing uphill, halfway up runway 21 with full fuel; parking brakes set; and chocked.  I kept jumping the chocks at 100% torque on a level airport. :lol:  Not sure how this will work at different altitudes. However, I'm about to find out.

Rick S

• Upvote 1

Goran,

As a followup, it seems to work great.  I took off at a sea level airport and delberately overtorqued the engine.  The audio alert went off right at 101% torque.  On descent, below 10,00 feet, I turned on the Inertial Separater and again let the torque increase to 101%.  The audio alert was dead on at 101%, so the dataref doesn't seem to change value with altitude and is a direct relation to the engine torque. No more turbine repairs or overhauls! :)

Rick S