TBM Crashes

dresoccer4

• dresoccer4 changed the title to TBM Crashes
On 7/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, Goran_M said:

Try ONE of these...

Remove reshade and test.

Run X-Plane in OpenGL and test

If it still crashes after trying either of those, post back.

hi, what i ended up doing was a fresh install completely of XP and slowly loaded back reshade, plugins, and planes. now haven't had a crash in over 24 hours.

That would have been my next suggestion.  Sometimes people don't like going down the "install a clean copy of X-Plane" road, but I'm glad you did and that it's working.  A clean install usually does work.  It's the plugins that come in after that sometimes give away the issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem but before I go down the re-build route, any advice based on the log.txt file attached? I hadn't had any issues until I bought hotplane tbm 900, installed it (twice) and after selecting to fly that model, x-plane 11 crashes every time. Other planes do not cause a crash. Thanks!

Log.txt

49 minutes ago, rgott said:

I have a similar problem but before I go down the re-build route, any advice based on the log.txt file attached? I hadn't had any issues until I bought hotplane tbm 900, installed it (twice) and after selecting to fly that model, x-plane 11 crashes every time. Other planes do not cause a crash. Thanks!

Log.txt 30.83 kB · 0 downloads

I'm almost 100% positive your crash is happening because of Marginal Ground Traffic which is part of several sceneries in your installation.  It's a very old plugin that is very iffy when it comes to working properly.  Especially with add ons that have very complex systems.  To verify, try loading the TBM at a different airport (SCIP is an airport many developers use for testing) and see if it still crashes.  If it doesn't, I'm afraid you'll have to remove either just the plugin (Marginal Ground Traffic) or the scenery.

Thank you. This is most helpful. I figured out also that those custom sceneries were problematic. I don't care about KJAC but really would like to see the GG bridge as it really looks, at least approximately. See attached for the SCIP result. Meanwhile, I am installing a clean copy of x-plane 11 and will install TBM 900 first and then step by step build back custom scenery to come up with the best solution. I'll keep you posted.

Log.txt

Bad news. I did a fresh install of x-plane 11 in a new directory. I tested it without adding any scenery or planes. No problem.

I then installed the Hot Start TBM 900 aircraft and set the airport to SCIP. X-plane 11 crashed immediately. I started it again as it never prompted me for license information. I chose a Cessna 172 and got prompted for login and password for the tbm plug in, which seems weird by itself. I entered that and everything was fine. I exited x-plane and re-started but this time chose the TBM to fly. X-plane crashed again immediately. Log.txt attached. I'm now at a complete loss. Don't know what else to try as this is with a clean installation and the only modification I made was to install the Hot Start TBM 900 aircraft.

Log.txt

Well, turns out not quite so simple... While the plug-in now "works," x-plane 11 is now so slow as to be unusable even with a standard Cessna 172 airplane. I guess I will have to upgrade my hardware after all. Good to know the operating system is important. Not surprisingly, so is the hardware. Anyone have recommendations on the hardware for maximum performance in x-plane 11?

If you're on an iMac, I'd suggest the 10 core CPU, 16GB GPU iMac still being sold at the Apple store.  Forget about ordering the RAM through Apple.  It's a rip off.  Get the stock 8 or 16GB that comes with it, then order aftermarket RAM.  You can get 2 OWC 64GB sticks for about $500AUD from Amazon, and then add the RAM that came with your iMac for a little bit extra.

Also, Don't go for a high capacity built in SSD.  Get the 1TB and then order an aftermarket 2 or 4TB NVME drive with enclosure and plug it into your thunderbolt port.  I do this and X-Plane runs flawlessly.

Whether or not you want to wait for the iMac's with the M1X chip is a decision you'll have to make.  I wouldn't bother with the new M1 iMac's that are available now.  I don't think they'll perform better than a current Intel iMac.  

If you're on a MacBook, consider getting an eGPU.  Your CPU may bottleneck you, though.  So you might have to weigh up the options.

Edited by Goran_M

6 hours ago, Goran_M said:

If you're on an iMac, I'd suggest the 10 core CPU, 16GB GPU iMac still being sold at the Apple store.  Forget about ordering the RAM through Apple.  It's a rip off.  Get the stock 8 or 16GB that comes with it, then order aftermarket RAM.  You can get 2 OWC 64GB sticks for about $500AUD from Amazon, and then add the RAM that came with your iMac for a little bit extra.

Also, Don't go for a high capacity built in SSD.  Get the 1TB and then order an aftermarket 2 or 4TB NVME drive with enclosure and plug it into your thunderbolt port.  I do this and X-Plane runs flawlessly.

Whether or not you want to wait for the iMac's with the M1X chip is a decision you'll have to make.  I wouldn't bother with the new M1 iMac's that are available now.  I don't think they'll perform better than a current Intel iMac.  

If you're on a MacBook, consider getting an eGPU.  Your CPU may bottleneck you, though.  So you might have to weigh up the options.

iMac's don't have screws. They're glued. It's a massive headache to deal with and even Linus Tech Tips fried their monitor doing it. Just pay the tax and keep the warranty.

7 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

iMac's don't have screws. They're glued. It's a massive headache to deal with and even Linus Tech Tips fried their monitor doing it. Just pay the tax and keep the warranty.

For the RAM?  iMac's have a RAM door on the back.  Only the RAM is modular.