Gizmo menu scaling on 4k monitors

Leviathan

One more issue I'm having. I've searched for this but can't seem to find anybody else who has it. 

With the brakes, as far as I can tell the brakes have been reversed, even though the animation in the sim is normal. So when I push on my toe brakes in real life, in the sim it shows them being pushed down, as it should. But this seems to actually release the brakes on the plane. On the other hand, if I do not push down on my rudder pedals, the brakes are permanently on. I have disengaged the Parking Brake, and I have tried this with the plane's antiskid both on and off. I have also confirmed the rudder pedal settings in X-Plane are as they should be and that with every other plane I have the brakes operate as they should, viz., the brakes are engaged only when I push down on the rudder pedals. I also tried toggling 'Gnd Op' and the Take off Inhib buttons, but this had no effect either. 

Sorry to be a pain! At least the sounds in this plane are magnificent and I can listen to the engines while I troubleshoot. 

Thanks again.

Also I tried reversing the axis in the XP settings - indeed, this led to the brakes seemingly being released when I wasn't pushing on them, but the animation for the pedals is now wrong - it shows the brakes being released (they move towards me on my screen) when I push on them, even though in the plane they seem to be being 'released'. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Goran_M said:

Ok, that's certainly weird.  I also have a 4K monitor, but everything looks fine for me.

@Ben Russell any ideas?

I've got 2 monitors, but the 4k monitor is set as my default monitor, both in Windows and in XPlane. The 2nd monitor is not used for XP at all. Not sure if this would affect it, but I can't think of anything else.

So your Gizmo windows are large/readable?

Edited by Leviathan

46 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Yes.

Here is my Gizmo preferences on a 5K Retina Mac display.  It looks the same on my Windows PC/4K monitor.

156137568_ScreenShot2021-07-12at12_48_24am.png

I'm not really sure what could be causing the problem, other than the UI scaling.

The Gizmo settings window is the normal size for me and seems to be scaling appropriately. But all the other Gizmo windows are unreadable. See screenshot.

Thanks.

Untitled.png

Hello, 

Just to update this, I deleted everything in my Xplane Prefs folder thinking that might change something, but no luck. I also tried completely disabling the 2nd monitor (which is 1920x1080/144) and then running Windows with only 1 monitor - still no luck! No matter what, the various Gizmo windows at 4k stay the same impossibly small size. 

Thanks again.

Edited by Leviathan

1 hour ago, Ben Russell said:

This is normal.

The old-style GUI windows were created before X-Planes upported HD Scaling.

Hi Ben, 

What can I do to fix it? As it is now I cannot use any of the panels properly except for the Gizmo settings panel.

And if I cannot fix it because it is expected due to legacy code, are there plans to remedy the problem in the near future? 

Thanks.

Edited by Leviathan

Is there any way for me to drag the gizmo windows to my 2nd monitor? I can drag seemingly all other XP windows to the 2nd monitor, where they are invariably resized larger, but the gizmo windows are not able to be dragged. This would remedy the problem for me at least, though those with only 4k monitors would still have problems.

3 hours ago, Leviathan said:

What can I do to fix it? As it is now I cannot use any of the panels properly except for the Gizmo settings panel.

About the only thing you can do is run your monitor at a lower resolution.

And if I cannot fix it because it is expected due to legacy code, are there plans to remedy the problem in the near future? 

That's up to the aircraft developer, and as the Saab has seen free updates from 2013 to now, there are no further plans to make updates.

The next major version of the Saab 340A will have the new window system, but this is not slated to be a free update, and it's not slated for release anytime soon.

Is there any way for me to drag the gizmo windows to my 2nd monitor? I can drag seemingly all other XP windows to the 2nd monitor, where they are invariably resized larger, but the gizmo windows are not able to be dragged. This would remedy the problem for me at least, though those with only 4k monitors would still have problems.

No, this is not possible. The legacy X-Plane window code was not capable of detaching from the sim to pop out on other monitors.

27 minutes ago, Cameron said:

About the only thing you can do is run your monitor at a lower resolution.

That's up to the aircraft developer, and as the Saab has seen free updates from 2013 to now, there are no further plans to make updates.

The next major version of the Saab 340A will have the new window system, but this is not slated to be a free update, and it's not slated for release anytime soon.

No, this is not possible. The legacy X-Plane window code was not capable of detaching from the sim to pop out on other monitors.

Hi Cameron, 

I bought the aircraft a few days ago, so the longevity of the previous update cycle (while certainly commendable) is irrelevant to me. I had no idea it was originally programmed in 2013. I did reasonably expect that both the aircraft - updated just a few months ago - and the Gizmo addon required to operate it properly would be fully compatible with a 4k monitor, given that 4k monitors have been very common since 2017.

This aircraft is of course highly praised, and rightly so - despite the Gizmo systems being nearly inoperable for me. I will do my best to figure out a way to get it working on my end, or at least find a way to deal with it. If I am unable to do so I'll get back to you guys. 

Thanks again.  

Edited by Leviathan