de Havilland Comet 4C

guym-p

I have a de Havilland Comet 4C in development, as payware.  Some of you will have read about it already; for those who haven't, it was inspired by my father who was at de Havilland from 1946-56 - exactly the Comet era. 

This is the first project I've done for X-Plane (or any other simulator, for that matter).  Because I had to learn everything from scratch, it's taken a huge amount of time.  No doubt I should have chosen something simple to start with, like a DHC-1 Chipmunk, but the Comet has been hugely rewarding.

The Comet 4C was the very last iteration of the Series 4.  The Series 4 was in Service from 1958 (BOAC) to 1980 (Dan Air), and the 4C was the longest, greatest capacity, most sophisticated version of all.  The reason I chose to start with the last rather than the first was because the instrumentation was a better match for X-Plane, and more recent documentation was easier to find.

I have just finished the interior, from the 3D cockpit, through the passenger compartment, to the loos and cargo bay in the tail.  The latest progress is here, as well as more information on the history of the Comet

:

http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/2fca08a971937b0878c77f36169d8455-82.html

My next step is to refine the exterior model, especially the engine intakes and leading edges of the wings.  More news will follow ...

Guy.

Wow, I never realised they were in service so recently

Thanks for all your comments!  The majority of Comets were retired on maximum hours by the mid-1970s, but RAF 216 Squadron Comet 4Cs had seen far less use than ones in commercial service, and were immaculately maintained.  When the squadron was disbanded in 1975, the Comets were bought by Dan Air, who were therefore able to continue Comet operations until the late 1970s, albeit with very few remaining.  The last Comet to fly was XS-235, which made its last working flight for DERA in 1997, and its last ever flight when it was delivered to Bruntingthorpe in 1999.  I believe there are two Nimrod R1 reconnaissance aircraft over Libya, the Nimrod being adapted from the Comet 4C.  So, in a sense, the Comet is still flying.

As a measure of how well the RAF aircraft had been kept, Dan Air noted that they were considerably more efficient and economical than the rest of their fleet, which had been ex-BOAC, MEA, and so on.

Guy.

• 2 weeks later...

As an interim update, I attach some screenshots of work in progress on the leading edges of the wings, engine intakes, and all associated gubbins.  I started with the aerofoil cross-section, which is NACA 63A011 modified with a leading edge droop of 12 deg./15% chord. It was relatively straight forward to apply this to the wing and wing tip, giving the correct concave section under the wing, just behind the leading edge.

wingtip_below.jpg

Also the winglet for the nacelle tank (the tanks were fitted to the Comet 4 and 4C, but not the 4B):

winglet_below.jpg

This week, I've spent most of my time on the engine nacelle. It's slow. It's also one of those jobs where I find I've never taken enough pictures from enough angles to answer all the questions. The next day, I look at it again, think: "No, no; that's quite the wrong shape," and give it another tweak.

intakes_20110630s.jpg

One thing to note, looking into the engine intake, is that there is nothing to be seen turning.  That's because the first set of blades behind the main bearing casting on a Rolls-Royce Avon RA.29 are not the first compressor stage, but a series of fixed guide-vanes.  It's a pity, because animated fans are impressive, but it would be quite wrong on the Comet. 

Guy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've posted some new screenshots, see:

http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/ce816b2c1fb8a4ceac3e410ce785efb9-83.html

These complete the last changes I'd planned to do to the meshes themselves. The next job is to upgrade textures to this level, then (at last!) my work is done. There'll be another round of testing, of course, which is a perfect excuse to shoot some new video!

Better crack on with it ...

Guy.

• 1 month later...

I've been experimenting with baked reflections for a more convincingly metallic look, using Blender 2.5. Nothing is really going to do it justice to polished aluminium until X-Plane can render calculated reflections on the fly, and that's not worth looking at until computers and graphics cards are monstrously more powerful, but what I've done looks a lot better than my first attempt. Exterior textures and liveries are the last jobs on my build-list before final testing and release, so it's getting really, really close now.

See: http://dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/5ca495e06e3bf46ca33f4b3aa58c9cca-85.html

Guy.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished a large tranche of work that enabled me to put the Comet back together again and test it in the sim. I've posted new screen-shots here:

http://dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/ade0041ca264168e6bbc76c29638672a-86.html

After this, I'll add a few more liveries, but otherwise that's the end of the planned work. The next phase is the final test programme. The end really is in sight!

Guy.

Great news Guy! The new screenshots are fantastic, and I am really looking forward to seeing the project complete. I particularly liked the window shot from first class.

Is it safe to assume that this product will be supported for version 10 of X-Plane since it is just on the horizon?

• 3 weeks later...

On that subject, I had a go with the Comet in X-Plane 10 this morning. Screen shots are here:

http://dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/ecabe5cbd89d4a2cf180e654abb817d7-87.html

I think the rendering quality in X-Plane 10 is amazing. There is a refinement of lighting and detail that's in a different league compared with 9. I'm trying not to be distracted by 10 at the moment: by the time the Comet is finished, X-Plane 10 should have settled down nicely and I can start adapting the Comet then. Anyone who buys the Comet for v9 will get a free upgrade to an updated model for v10.

Guy.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

More updates: I've spent a considerable amount of time tuning the Comet's performance with a Rolls-Royce Avon engine plug-in by Smellybeard (UK X-Plane Development Team). Also in preparing a paint kit. This is as much for me as anyone else: the master PSD files with all the metal, shadow, seam and rivet details were several gigabytes each, which is simply not practical on a day-to-day basis. The first livery to trundle off the line, using the paint kit, is for Middle East Airlines. Screenshots here:

http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/fba96854a61eabb80cd4413aa7cb53d1-90.html

Guy.

• Upvote 1

That's seriously impressive work Guy. I bet you have picked up a lot of new skills making your Comet. I tried my hand at Adobe Illustrator a while ago to make drawings for laser cutting my simpit panels. Steep learning curve but a superb piece of software. It's amazing when you start a project how many new skills you pick up on the way.

Fantastic. Thanks for the update.

Rhydian