Plugin Admin CTD

Geoff Akehurst

Noticed recently that if I deactivate Skymaxx through the plugin admin menu the tick goes from the box and the weather reverts back to the default.  I do this sometimes as I find low visibility is depicted better in X-Plane than in SkyMaxx and never encountered and problems.  Recently for some reason, when I try to reactivate Skymaxx I cannot select the tick box and X-Plane shuts down. I have an i9 processor, 32gig RAM and 2070 Super graphics card so unlikely to be a resource problem.

I have removed Skymaxx and re-installed it but the problem remains.

Attached is the X-Plane log file which may shed some light on the problem.

Log.txt

Strange this one. X-plane only crashes when I try to turn Skymaxx back on. Nothing else causes any problem. Looking at the log text (most of which I do not understand), the last but one line states that 'SilverLining' deleted followed by the statement of application crash. Surely, must have some connection to Skymaxx?

On 6/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Geoff Akehurst said:

Strange this one. X-plane only crashes when I try to turn Skymaxx back on. Nothing else causes any problem. Looking at the log text (most of which I do not understand), the last but one line states that 'SilverLining' deleted followed by the statement of application crash. Surely, must have some connection to Skymaxx?

X-Plane is very good about pointing the finger at any plugin at fault.

It's very possible that you're exhausting memory by re-activating and building the cache for SkyMaxx Pro when you are re-enabling at that phase of the simulation environment.

Of course, the software is not designed to be used in the way you're trying.

For what it's worth, I looked into this more deeply. I think what changed is that X-Plane no longer has a valid OpenGL context active at the point where our plugin is re-enabled in this case. So when we try to recreate our sky, clouds, etc. it crashes because OpenGL / Vulkan isn't in a state where you can operate on it yet.

It's more of a technical answer than you probably want, but the bottom line is: yes, it seems to be a new problem and it has nothing to do with your specific system.

For now, if you want to temporarily disable SkyMaxx Pro, I'd do so by using a plugin manager that moves the "SilverLining" plugin (that's us) before you start X-Plane, instead of enabling and disabling it on the fly.