Frequent CTD on macOS

You are going to be struggling a bit with a 4GB video card in a Macbook.  I managed in XP10 with a 4GB card in an iMac, but found it was not great in XP11 - although it was still in OpenGL then.   XP11 ran very hot, and I guess  your MacBook CPU (and GPU) will be running hot, and the fans will be blowing away!

With your airliners, you are spending most of your time up in the flight levels (probably around 30,000' or so), whereas a lot of your time in the TBM will be lower, where scenery will have much more of an impact. 

You may well be getting thermal throttling.  Have you looked at the core temperatures?

11 hours ago, diamonddriller said:

You are going to be struggling a bit with a 4GB video card in a Macbook.  I managed in XP10 with a 4GB card in an iMac, but found it was not great in XP11 - although it was still in OpenGL then.   XP11 ran very hot, and I guess  your MacBook CPU (and GPU) will be running hot, and the fans will be blowing away!

With your airliners, you are spending most of your time up in the flight levels (probably around 30,000' or so), whereas a lot of your time in the TBM will be lower, where scenery will have much more of an impact. 

You may well be getting thermal throttling.  Have you looked at the core temperatures?

The problem is that even when on the ground or shortly after take-off the TBM can also frequently crash, which shouldn't be caused by the scenery.

Edited by CaptainYukinoshitaHachiman

18 hours ago, CaptainYukinoshitaHachiman said:

The TBM900 frequently crashes on my MacBook Pro on macOS 11.4 (20F71). I had no such problems with other aircrafts (e.g. FFA320, FFA350, Toliss A319) and the log files are attached for your information.

There are a few issues I can see that are likely causing your CTD's in order of what I think is the cause.

Marginals Ground Traffic

Scenery location

Mem Errors as reported by the log file

Try either removing the Marginal Ground Traffic plug in.  This is very old, and, AFAIK, hasn't been updated in quite a while.  

Alternatively, try a default airport.  Many developers use SCIP for testing.

Try those first, then post back and we can take it from there.

Edited by Goran_M

7 hours ago, Goran_M said:

There are a few issues I can see that are likely causing your CTD's in order of what I think is the cause.

Marginals Ground Traffic

Scenery location

Mem Errors as reported by the log file

Try either removing the Marginal Ground Traffic plug in.  This is very old, and, AFAIK, hasn't been updated in quite a while.  

Alternatively, try a default airport.  Many developers use SCIP for testing.

Try those first, then post back and we can take it from there.

The Marginal Ground Traffic plug-in come from 3rd-party sceneries and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to remove it. (And these sceneries seem working fine with other aircrafts).

I'll try the aircraft around default airports first, however it might take some time as the crashes seem to be very random and it's hard to know what kind of action would trigger it (once in ZSPD the TBM even crashed when turning switches on the ground).

The only thing I can suggest, if you really want to find out what the cause is, is to remove all 3rd party plugins, and then test while putting 1 plugin back at a time, until the crash happens again.  As far as debugging, to find out quicker, unfortunately, no.  There are too many 3rd party variables.

The best course of action would be to install a clean copy of X-Plane, and then test.  But seeing as you're on Steam, this isn't possible without removing your entire X-Plane installation, and then reinstalling a clean copy.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:51 PM, Goran_M said:

The only thing I can suggest, if you really want to find out what the cause is, is to remove all 3rd party plugins, and then test while putting 1 plugin back at a time, until the crash happens again.  As far as debugging, to find out quicker, unfortunately, no.  There are too many 3rd party variables.

The best course of action would be to install a clean copy of X-Plane, and then test.  But seeing as you're on Steam, this isn't possible without removing your entire X-Plane installation, and then reinstalling a clean copy.

TBM900_Log.txtLog.txtX-Plane_2021-06-03-064958_CaptainYukinoshitaHachimans-MacBook-Pro.crash

I just got another crash with Marginal Ground Traffic removed above an ocean. Later I'll test it again with all 3rd-party plugins and sceneries removed.

@Goran_M I have removed all 3rd-party sceneries and plugins while the TBM 900 continues to crash. Logs are attached below.

BTW the memory of my Mac should be in good condition as I did a test using Rember and no error was found.

Also, all these tests are under fullscreen mode, should I do another one in window mode?

Log.txtTBM900_Log.txtX-Plane_2021-06-03-160838_CaptainYukinoshitaHachimans-MacBook-Pro.crash

Ah damn.  Windowed mode.  I should have asked you that earlier.  AMD drivers have a problem with X-Plane, some add ons, Metal and full screen mode.  Either change to windowed mode or if you insist on running full screen mode, have a window open in the background.  Either Safari or Finder.  The latter doesn't always work.

1 hour ago, Goran_M said:

Ah damn.  Windowed mode.  I should have asked you that earlier.  AMD drivers have a problem with X-Plane, some add ons, Metal and full screen mode.  Either change to windowed mode or if you insist on running full screen mode, have a window open in the background.  Either Safari or Finder.  The latter doesn't always work.

The problem is that under windowed mode the title bar of X-Plane is always displayed, which is very annoying. Have you heard of any ways to hide that?

• 3 weeks later...

Still crashing with latest XP version. Is there any word on when the next update will be out and is the apparent incompatibility with Honeycomb being assessed and/or addressed? I say apparent because when I was testing, it seemed to me that this is where the issue was - if I removed HC, I had no crashes, but as soon as I re-introduce it, the TBM crashes. This does not occur on any other payware aircraft that I have. As good as this plane is, it's unflyable and bloody frustrating to get partway through a flight and thing just drops out - if it can't be sorted out, then I'll cut my losses and throw it away.

22 hours ago, aerox said:

Still crashing with latest XP version. Is there any word on when the next update will be out and is the apparent incompatibility with Honeycomb being assessed and/or addressed? I say apparent because when I was testing, it seemed to me that this is where the issue was - if I removed HC, I had no crashes, but as soon as I re-introduce it, the TBM crashes. This does not occur on any other payware aircraft that I have. As good as this plane is, it's unflyable and bloody frustrating to get partway through a flight and thing just drops out - if it can't be sorted out, then I'll cut my losses and throw it away.

It looks like we've narrowed this down to the TBM's rendering code.  It was thought this was fixed in the previous update, but apparently not.  This crash is not something we've seen in too many cases, but it appears in some configurations, it still happens.

This will be addressed in the next update.

Edited by Goran_M

5 hours ago, aerox said:

Thanks, sounds promising. I’m happy to assist with testing. 
So, does this mean that the problem is not related to the Honeycomb Configurator, or any other plug-in?

Correct.  

The official word...

"That's not honeycomb's issue, it's deep in the innards of the TBM rendering code.
This is going to require some deep dive into Cairo's font machinery."

Cairo's font machinery is something inside a graphics coding language called "Cairo" which the TBM uses.

Edited by Goran_M

• 1 month later...

Just wondered how you guys were going with this 'deep dive' into the TBM code? Any chance there will be an updated version released soon? I've ceased flying this aircraft as it was just unflyable for me with this problem, so it would be great to get this fixed and going again.

Cheers.

As soon as the CL650 is wrapped up, the TBM fix will be added.  Including, we hope, a navdata file from navigraph.  A lot of what is going to go into the next TBM update is being done in the 650, so it'll just be a matter of bringing the fixes over.  We're on the tail end of working on the 650, however, no firm ETA. It is in beta testing at the moment.