SOLVED: New SR22 Owner: Steering Issue

vin747

I know this is a study level aircraft and all that.. but haven't been able to taxi at all.. ground steering is a nightmare.. 

There was no warning in any documentation/website that the user must own premium rudder pedals with toe brake functionality in order to operate this aircraft.. without that, it is sooo difficult to taxi this aircraft using just "hold brakes left/right" commands and mapping to joystick.. such a primitive way of taxiing by pressing joystick buttons.. 

I have a logitech extreme3D twist joystick.. I also have some racing pedals.. 

I am shocked that there's absolutely no mention of this limitation in your manuals.. 

I don't want to use differential braking lua scripts either.. tried with that.. still very jerky while taxiing.. 

also being a single engine prop, aircraft steers to left when adding power on takeoff like it should (C172).. but without having steering control, it makes it even more difficult to takeoff.. 

I spent two hours trying to taxi and has been a nightmare.. oh by the way, it also CTD twice already..  and is very heavy on resources.. (I have RTX 3090 and i9 @ 5.1).. fans are running too loud.. but we'll come to that later.. 

need to find a way to solve the taxi issue first.. right now aircraft grounded.. 

So..

I just did a quick google search.

"flight sim pedals" gives me a quick summary to go find a price for Logitech G Pedals as they're recommended for FS21.

$300.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/logitech-g-flight-simulator-rudder-pedals

Then I did a quick google for "RTX 3090".

$3,300

https://www.mwave.com.au/graphics-cards/geforce-rtx-3090

Also, complaining about an additional "bug" that is purely caused by your lack of (relatively cheap) additional equipment to operate a study level product isn't valid.

The issue will automatically be resolved when you operate the product as designed.

A warning in the docs about a full suite of Human Interface Devices might be warranted but as the product is marketed as study level (and you clearly know that) one would assume you'd know how the real airframe operates mechanically in this regard and expect to be duly armed to operate the product in a study-level manner.

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

the product is marketed as study level (and you clearly know that) one would assume you'd know how the real airframe operates mechanically in this regard and expect to be duly armed to operate the product in a study-level manner.

This is a strange argument, no?

There are plenty of study-level airliners out there but none of them to my knowledge require you to purchase a separate steering tiller control.

If they did have a hardware requirement, I would absolutely expect that to be listed in the marketing materials pre-purchase. 

• Upvote 1

So, if that's an absolute requirement to have pedals with toe brakes to operate this aircraft, the documentation/website should have mentioned that, so that i can make an informed decision.. this is a show stopper issue, not a "nice to have feature".. 

Besides, in this pandemic, global shipping supply chain is severely hampered.. I have not been able to get my hands on honeycomb yoke and throttles for the last one year.. I was lucky enough to get a RTX 3090 in the pandemic.. most people are in waiting list for hardware upgrades.. So going out and buying pedals is not a workable solution for me.. 

Also, I have a massive fleet of aircraft in 3 different sims (PMDG, Flightfactor, X-plane helicopters, etc) and have been using only my joystick twist for rudder and nose tiller action all these years.. i never felt the need to get pedals.. even while flying helos like dreamfoil B407.. so this came as a shock to me.. its the first time in my many years of simming that I had to ground an aircraft because I dont have toe brakes..   

I also own your Saab by the way and have done many nice flights on it.. even that had some brakes issue, but luckily I read the forums and downloaded the aircraft only after the brake command issues were solved.. that aircraft is a joy to fly now.. 

i'm sure this is also a great aircraft (have seen the reviews) but I need to be able to get past the taxiing issue to enjoy the other aspects of this product.. 

okay, after some more testing, here's what I found.. 

Takeoff roll is okay.. at those speeds, rudder kicks in, and since i have racing pedals that work fine as rudder (+twist joystick also acts as rudder), i'm able to maintain the centreline on takeoff.. so all good there.. 

At low taxi speeds, i'm able to use differential brakes and turn (had to download a lua script that does differential braking assist).. it is still clunky and bit jerky at times, but manageable.. 

doesn't the Laminar C172 also have the same castor steering? its easier on the C172 for some reason, although for making sharp 90 deg turns, I still had to use the diff brakes on the 172 as well.. 

6 hours ago, vin747 said:

doesn't the Laminar C172 also have the same castor steering? its easier on the C172 for some reason, although for making sharp 90 deg turns, I still had to use the diff brakes on the 172 as well.. 

No, a 172 (and the Laminar 172) does not have caster steering. Most aircraft don't and are typically controlled by rudder pedal movement (speaking real world).

There is no implication that you must have hardware here. Having personally flown the SR22 many times in real life I can say that my first few outings were nearly as frustrating trying to learn the touch of differential braking compared to standard rudder taxi movements. It becomes second nature muscle memory eventually.

The aircraft is plenty manageable without hardware. It does take practice because you are not used to it. Just because you don't like or enjoy it doesn't mean it's wrong. 

• vin747 changed the title to SOLVED: New SR22 Owner: Steering Issue

Glad to know there is a "fix" for the steering "issue" As realistic as it may be, I found the ground handling via differential braking using my Logitech rudder pedals very annoying. To the point that I stopped flying this otherwise brilliant aircraft. I attribute this to the fact that every other plane I own I have steered using the rudder. This is not TorqueSim's fault, it just "is what it is" Going to give this "fix" a try for sure.