unexpeccted nav indications with G1000 published hold or course reversal

FrankB

Using the C172 G1000 aircraft I am seeing unexpected behavior of the HSI when in Susp mode during a published hold.  This is reproducible during published holds and course reversals. 

When entering the hold all is fine and the G1000 HSI properly goes into Susp mode but then the CDI starts acting like an RMI needle (pointing directly to the fix with the course deviation centered) instead of just staying on the set course and showing a course deviation.  The Susp annunciator above the Susp soft key is highlighted but the only thing suspended about it is that it is not sequencing to the next fix.

Why in the world would the CDI needle start acting like an RMI?  This is not the way a real world G1000 operates at all.  Is there a setting to adjust that will make the HSI continue to work normally as a suspended CDI and remain on the set course?

The only work-around I can find is once entering the hold, set direct to the fix (instead of leaving the FMS navigating the HOLD fix), re-suspend the HSI and set the CDI to the course needed (as you would to manually hold at a fix).

I guess my question is: is this a bug or is it designed to work that way?

I am using version 11.53r1