Weather Updates Not Working

mbvdlza

Hi

I apologize If I am wrong, but I read the manual that came with REX for my X-Plane (latest) and set it up as follows:

Rex running, and weather sync enabled

Xplane running, DOWNLOAD WEATHER unchecked.... SCAN METAR FILE checked (and minutes is set to 5 mins).

I disabled weather updates in my xsquawkbox to not get weather updates from Vatsim, and I am expecting that REX will now takeover and update the metar.rwx file, is this correct?

After flying about 2 hours tonight, I noticed the weather never changed. I checked the metar file, and it's update/modification time was many hours old.

What am I doing incorrectly? How do I have REX update my xplane weather periodically?

Thanks in advance!

Marlon

Hi Cameron

Very valid point, but I did the sp updates on the day of installation, and seems there hasn't been any new ones, so I am at latest.

From my original post, did I understand correctly how REX weather sync works?

1. run rex, enable sync

2. set xplane download OFF, and check metar file ON

I don't understand where the weather textures etc comes into play, but im sure that should work.

Rex weather sync is most definitely not updating the metar.rwx file.

ANYone with ANY advice?

Even if the rex guys don't respond (here or on their forums), I am sure someone must have found a way to make weather work?

The whole thing just doesn't make sense. For rex to even update weather, it has to be aware of where you are flying, how the heck does that even work?

*sigh*  :-[

Thanks.

Marlon

I can't say if my answer will satisfy you, but here it goes. For a long time I use REX exclusively for loading up cloud textures sets and nothing more. The weather during my flights is either supplied by xSquawkbox (online flights) or set to some specific conditions (for testing and training purposes).

xSquawkbox updates conditions nicely during a flight and it provides me the same data, as web based METARs or vATC controllers, so I'm on the same page as everyone else in virtual skies around - which wasn't always the case with REX. REX also had a habit of loosing Internet connection during the flight and I was stuck with the initial weather for the whole trip, which I believe is the same situation, as you've described.

For offline flying I'd use REX cloud textures and X-Plane native dynamic weather download capability (both windows checked and time interval set to 5 min). Before I started flying online, that setup always worked very good. Well, unless I've been wandering around some rather obscure regions (like I often do) where is no weather service at all.

That are my recommendations. If you want more specific answer, then e-mail REX creators directly.

Hi Lukasz

No I think you are right  :D

I will do that too, use REX's (excellent) textures, and just sort out the weather via XSB.

The beef was with sudden changes between weather stations, but it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for the satisfying response +1 for you :D

Have a good weekend people.

M