Exclusive GTN-flickering

Babbo

Dear all,

please allow another flickering thread, since the problem is more specific: my whole BN-2B shows rock-stable visuals, only both RealityXP-GTNs (750 and 650) suffer from nervous flickering. Again, it is an AMD-card under Vulkan, but this GTN-flickering does not occur with other planes than BN-2B and btw. BN-2T. Consequently, there must be a link between that problem and the way those GTNs are implemented within the Islanders.

For the stats: OS (Win10pro), AMD's Adrenalin driver (and hardware), X-Plane, RealityXPs and of course your Islanders, everything is up to date.

Also - not to forget - love your Islanders!

Many thanks for any help.

Edited by Babbo

Hi Babbo,

Yes, this arrises when custom rendering is done in the OpenGL bridge (the only way for addons to draw in X-Plane), and the issue lies squarely in AMD's driver. Sadly there isn't anything we can do except recommend turning off Vulkan. 

3 hours ago, Babbo said:

Thanks, Coop, for your response ... but then, what's the reason that both GTNs do not flicker with other planes?

Most aircraft aren't rendering custom displays, and for those that are, I would assume most are using a Lua interpreter which has a bit different of a pathway for rendering.

Ehm, ... and this means what for the two non-working Islander-cases: what would Torquesim have to do, what can I do to get the GTNs running without flickering, ... "add" a Lua-interpreter? (Implementing Lua-things can't be an AMD-task ...)

Also, about rendering ... can one / should one display gauges without or with rendering?

Sorry, your answer comes a little bit too aggregated, ... and in no ways I'm an expert!

8 hours ago, Babbo said:

Had a discussion. Reality-XP developers (GTN 750 and 650) argued that there could be connections to an, maybe, not up-to-date SASL-version used within your aircraft. Could that be an idea to pursue?

The issue lies with AMD's driver exclusively, there is some discussion here on the AMD Vulkan driver's GitHub here: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/179

Sorry, but I can't get this out of my head, the trouble is massive.

To outline, what I cannot understand: if, according to you, AMD is the only and exclusive reason why these GTN don't work in the Islanders, then why do they work very well for all my other aircraft, same GTN-version and same AMD-Adrenalin-driver provided - you don't see a logical contradiction here?

Absolutely no offense, but I'd be really interested in what you're reasoning here!