GPS Error in Corvalis?

pwalsh2

I was flying last night and ran into a GPS nav error that takes me in the opposite direction as programed in FMS.

Can anyone recreate this situation that I have.  Not sure what causing it?

Altitude was above 11000 ft  Flight plan is RDU>FAY>ASHES>KCRE  

Autopilot activated,  after crossing VOR "FAY" instead of turning toward the fix "ASHES" the Bearing(BRG) reverses to 010°

It should be 171° and the ETE goes whacky and Dist. to ASHES is 6328 nm and the CDI arrow also is reversed but the FMS shows the correct NAV info as show in this screen shot. ??? I was able to show it again today on my system (Mac xplane v9.67)

post-2641-13136961223_thumb.png

Found another quirk.  Autopilot tracking course straight just slightly to left but Flight Director command bar is in a bank.

This is running xplane on Mac. 

Also, Got Corvalis to run in window xp but there were even more quirks, trying to even get Simavio to run with Corvalis took a huge frame hit, could not run together. Guess I could get ATI 5770 card when I have extra $$$$.  So gave up on that and went to check if GPS errors were there, had even more problems tracking in GPS. Gave up there and went back to Mac partition.  Reinstalled Corvalis 1.3, thats when I found Flight Director anomaly.

post-2641-131369613528_thumb.png

Found another quirk.  Autopilot tracking course straight just slightly to left but Flight Director command bar is in a bank.

This is running xplane on Mac. 

Also, Got Corvalis to run in window xp but there were even more quirks, trying to even get Simavio to run with Corvalis took a huge frame hit, could not run together. Guess I could get ATI 5770 card when I have extra $$$$.  So gave up on that and went to check if GPS errors were there, had even more problems tracking in GPS. Gave up there and went back to Mac partition.  Reinstalled Corvalis 1.3, thats when I found Flight Director anomaly.

Can't help you with the Simavio issues, sorry.

There really should be no difference between running the Corvalis on Windows or OSX.

I can only track this down (the flight director issue) if you can provide specific steps that can recreate the problem.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Tried using GPS again, seems that are many waypoint that won't track correctly.  Here's another again on Mac

Note: MFD  at top DTK 114 TRK 266 which I am tracking in HDG mode to go in correct direction.  Note Active Flight Plan: Read correct, PFD CDI does not match flight plan.  Very quirky.  Not sure if this began with V1.3 or not.  I would like to revert to see but I think Gizmo made changes that I can't undo.

post-2641-131369615603_thumb.png

Tried using GPS again, seems that are many waypoint that won't track correctly.  Here's another again on Mac

Note: MFD  at top DTK 114 TRK 266 which I am tracking in HDG mode to go in correct direction.  Note Active Flight Plan: Read correct, PFD CDI does not match flight plan.  Very quirky.  Not sure if this began with V1.3 or not.  I would like to revert to see but I think Gizmo made changes that I can't undo.

I am still working on this and have narrowed it down somewhat.  Can you give the the four waypoints that were part of you flight plan?

Jim

Hmm  I just started xplane  the map came up on MFD I picked waypoints that I could see on the map.  Entered them one at at time and by the time I arrived at the second one GPS was X tracking off set, then the next one became reversed when I arrived at that one.  I believe any set of waypoints does this.  I will go back and look, I recorded it in xplane.

• 2 weeks later...

I run FTS1000 Corvalis in bootcamp partition under Windows7 with X-plane, I get the same type GPS NAV errors with  X-aviation Corvalis 1.3 installed. Didn't matter if I use FTS Corvalis .acf or X-Av Corvalis .acf .  I removed Corvalis 1.3 from X-plane and I no longer have NAV errors with GPS running FTS1000.  I suppose its the plug-in that is creating the GPS NAV problem.

Can I downgrade to Corvalis V1.2 to get use of flight model until the error is corrected?  I tried once and got an error of some type that I was not able to just install the old version.  Don't remember the specific reason.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I came looking for support on the Corvalis GPS today and I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has experienced this. I've made several IFR flights in this baby (by the way Jim - she's an otherwise GORGEOUS bird), and twice now I've experienced Nav imperfections. Last night I flew from KLAX to KSAN. I forget what fix I was using to turn to short final before intercepting the localizer, but while tracking GPS/FMS, she turned about 90 degrees left (a few degrees short of remaining on track) and then leveled off. I hand flew the rest of the flight. Later on I made the return from KSAN to KLAX. As I approached one of my final fixes, she turned at the right time, but 90 degrees in the wrong direction, essentially flying outbound on a radial that I would be tracking inbound for the localizer. In both cases it was easy to correct as the weather was indeed VFR, but under IMC this flight would have been a lot more hairy with sudden changes of this kind.

Separately, and for whatever reason, the MFD is only occasionally displaying other traffic now and I think the MFD used to hold my setup for that screen between X-plane application startup and shutdowns, but now it initializes the screen on each visit. Interestingly enough, I can also hear the whirring of the avionics when x-plane boots, and then it shutsdown as the Corvalis completes loading.

-Jess

Hello...is this thing on?

Just checking to see if there were any thoughts on this given that IFR in this plane is a challenging proposition without the fix...

Jess,

The FMS/GPS issue is something I am working on. I can not give you an exact date when this will be resolved.

As for the other issues.... There is no reason the MFD should be displaying traffic intermittently. If the "TRAFFIC" key is depressed then the traffic should be visible (if it is within the current range). Traffic is set to "OFF" at startup. "Your" MFD settings are not, and never were, saved between sessions of loading the Corvalis. I have not had a chance to look into the "whirring" of the avionics but there is no reason why that sound would "shut down" after the Corvalis loads unless the avionics switch is "OFF".

Jim

Hi Jim,

No problem at all - I appreciate the response. I'm doing a coast-to-coast and return trip VFR anyway so I can make do without the FMS for now anyway, was just wondering if this had been corrected in an update and I missed it.

Strange on the TFC issue - the button is most certainly depressed, but I'll keep an eye on it.

And no biggie on the whirring either. If loads with the avionics sound on, and then as soon as the plane finishes loading it shuts down. Just thought I offer it up as a bug report, but no probs.

Most importantly - I LOVE this plane. She is an absolute blast to fly!

Many thanks for looking into it!,

-Jess

Edited by smokeater233

Hi Jim,

No problem at all - I appreciate the response. I'm doing a coast-to-coast and return trip VFR anyway so I can make do without the FMS for now anyway, was just wondering if this had been corrected in an update and I missed it.

Strange on the TFC issue - the button is most certainly depressed, but I'll keep an eye on it.

And no biggie on the whirring either. If loads with the avionics sound on, and then as soon as the plane finishes loading it shuts down. Just thought I offer it up as a bug report, but no probs.

Most importantly - I LOVE this plane. She is an absolute blast to fly!

Many thanks for looking into it!,

-Jess

Jess,

Just to be sure... the latest update of the Corvalis is 1.3.

I have checked the "whirring" sound for the avionics... I can not reproduce the problem as you describe it. Perhaps it is another "sound" you are referring to? Please try this... Run X-Plane and load the Corvalis. Pull the mixture to shut down the engine. You should be able to hear the "whirring" sound of the avionics. To confirm just click on the "avionics" rocker switch to shut the avionics "OFF" and you should hear the whirring sound slowly diminish. Let me know what you find.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I start each flight at the ramp completely shutdown. This happens when I load up x-plane. In the final loading process (before the acf renders and I the loading screen is still displayed), in the last few moments before the acf appears, I get the whirring. As soon as the acf is loaded the whirring ends. This is hardly a problem - just a minor anomaly.

Thanks,

-Jess

Hi Jim,

I start each flight at the ramp completely shutdown. This happens when I load up x-plane. In the final loading process (before the acf renders and I the loading screen is still displayed), in the last few moments before the acf appears, I get the whirring. As soon as the acf is loaded the whirring ends. This is hardly a problem - just a minor anomaly.

Thanks,

-Jess

Jess,

This is an issue within X-Plane itself. When setting XP to start with the engines "OFF" the avionics are NOT turned "OFF" when XP starts up. So, when the aircraft is loaded the avionics fan is running. As soon as XP sets the battery(s) to "OFF" the avionics fan stops working even though the avionics are still set to "ON". That is why you hear the fan running for a brief time.

Jim

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

My Corvalis GPS/autopilot worked perfectly for many 'flight' hours on two different iMacs but suddenly started malfunctioning on one. The OBS needle on GPS frequently points in the wrong direction and won't turn onto the proper track. I've done extensive testing in many locations. The GPS data on the entry pad is correct and the flight plan is correctly displayed on the color moving map but the GPS data at the top of the panel and on the CDI is incorrect. Sometimes, the CDI purple needle starts flickering then the plane suddenly appears sitting on the ground at the nearest airport all shut down as if it crashed. Decreasing some of the rendering details seemed to help some. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling without effect. A disc permission scan found one error but that was apparently not to blame. Incidentally, I was told that the color moving GPS map wouldn't work but mine works perfectly on both topo and terrain modes. Fantastic airplane. Charley Roesch croesch@comcast.net

My Corvalis GPS/autopilot worked perfectly for many 'flight' hours on two different iMacs but suddenly started malfunctioning on one. The OBS needle on GPS frequently points in the wrong direction and won't turn onto the proper track. I've done extensive testing in many locations. The GPS data on the entry pad is correct and the flight plan is correctly displayed on the color moving map but the GPS data at the top of the panel and on the CDI is incorrect. Sometimes, the CDI purple needle starts flickering then the plane suddenly appears sitting on the ground at the nearest airport all shut down as if it crashed. Decreasing some of the rendering details seemed to help some. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling without effect. A disc permission scan found one error but that was apparently not to blame. Incidentally, I was told that the color moving GPS map wouldn't work but mine works perfectly on both topo and terrain modes. Fantastic airplane. Charley Roesch croesch@comcast.net

Charlie,

The FMS issue is a known bug and has been resolved. This will be part of the next update but I can not give you an exact date at this time.

I'm not sure where you got the information that the map wouldn't work but that has never been an issue.

I am glad you're enjoying the aircraft.

Stay in touch here to learn when the update will be available.

Jim

Jim, Great. Looking forward to the update. I've never seen the color moving map GPS on any other X-Plane aircraft. Why is that? When everything is working on the Corvalis, it makes all other X-Plane aircraft obsolete.

The color map is plug-in based. It's been custom coded in and is not a stock feature to X-Plane aircraft.

Jim, Great. Looking forward to the Corvalis update to get the GPS/FMS working. The color moving map GPS really makes this plane. I've not seen this on any other X-Plane aircraft. Why is that?

Charley Roesch

Charley,

As Cameron mentioned above the map is custom coded. I guess others have just not chosen to do this yet.

Jim