Throttle control advice

Wyskass

How do you find the best way to control throttle position?

I have setup 2 mouse buttons for throttle and don't use a hw throttle stick. I find it very difficult to set the throttle position, especially without friction turned on, as it always overshoots and flies with a delay at least half way across range. This is especially challenging at takeoff and landing obviously. Always over powering, and then trying to adjust and swinging to the other end. 

I end up putting my attention on adjusting the power lever to stay within range, which is obviously distracting from staying on course during takeoff and monitoring instruments. On landing the challenge is in the lower range which tends to delay and move even more quickly.

Yes I know turbines are delayed with spool up and power delivery, but if the level position is also springy is makes for a frustrating experience.

Is there some way to adjust sensitivity of button action? XPlane only has mapping for Move throttle up "a little bit". Why not make the button tap adjustable response, so you don't have to try to make super short taps.

Or force the position indicator popup to always be on so you can at least see the position of the stick? This would be a good quick solution, so you could judge based on lever position not on how short you can make a button tap. Sometimes the indicator pops up and other times not. When friction is off, which it is forced to be off for landing and takeoff, you can't see at all what the position.  And it's inconsistent.

The smoothing of the lever movement gives it a very springy feel, so would be better without it. Slow-fast-slow again, and after releasing button for a bit too.

Is an analog hardware throttle stick really the only option, because no other plane has such a springy and delayed feel to the position. Before you respond that turbines spool up with a delay, I understand that.. but the throttle lever position also has a delayed response to the button, and it's very difficult to move between the lower range of engine power using a button. 

Love the plane, but hate controlling the throttle. 

Thanks!

Edited by Wyskass

Why don't you get yourself a throttle? Doesn't have to be the Honeycomb Bravo, there's plenty of options out there. You're not doing yourself any justice or enjoyment by using a mouse to control the throttle. CH Pro is perfectly good - I've had one for years and still use it (not as a throttle) to manage my views - I have the HC Bravo which bloody excellent now they fixed the configurator.

You mean use the mouse, by click and drag of the throttle lever? Sure, but that seems like it would take your eyes off the outside even more. You need to make small adjustments while focused on the runway end for landing. 

So I use a 3D SpaceMouse from 3Dconnexion in left hand for 3 axis control + 2 buttons for 2 views, and a mouse for right with 9 buttons, trim, throttle and views. It's worked for me for multiple simulators. Used it for TruckSim, FarmSim, KSP, Google Earth, and more. I've certainly had a full yoke, pedal and throttle quadrant setup in the past, so I know how that feels.

What I like about this, is that it's applicable to multiple aircraft types, and it works quite well. Second, I don't want to start collecting a bunch of hardware when VR will fairly soon be a better choice. Third, I like the mouse because I can shift views, move around and click on stuff without moving my hand from devices. With a throttle, you're going back and forth from mouse to lever. 

Finally it takes up space and wouldn't apply well to DCS for example with Joystick controls and Left hand throttle. Then you're going down the road of different hardware, Head trackers, and the cost does add up. I've been there before. Airline throttle with reverse, turbine, constant speed, joystick and yoke etc. I'd prefer not to go down that road again. 

So staying in the scope of buttons for throttle, what can be done? Does nobody use buttons for throttle? Being able to toggle the indicator overlay to stay on screen or adjusting move rate of button presses doesn't seem that difficult, especially the former, since it's there already. 

Edited by Wyskass