TOD within 1 minute - randomly on

Wyskass

Ok, thanks. Yes I was aware that the G1000 is XPlane standard, but wasn't sure which parts are your additions.

I did notice that the menu buttons differ from an Aerobask DA-62 I also fly, and of course the Engine instrumentation. So which are your additions in the G1000 pages? I'm asking because I also posted another G1000 question here, about not finding the fuel quantity adjustment buttons. They are on an Aerobask, but not on your TBM. It could be same answer for the fuel question. I'm trying to understand why there would be different quirks between your TBM and an Aerobask, if you both use the Laminar G1000.

Thanks again.

Edited by Wyskass

• 3 weeks later...

Goran, I understand you can't be responsible for Laminar code bugs and fixes to those.

But as a software professional myself, when a customer reports a problem with our software, I do as much as I can to deal with the problem and doing the research myself even if the fault ultimately lies with a 3rd party, like maybe OS issue. I am responsible for the enjoyment and success of the product, regardless of the underlying platform. So maybe check with other customers, or run a test myself to get more context. First answer never being  go talk to Microsoft.

It's all too easy to get bounced around between platform provider and product support each blaming the other.

I am persisting here, because  if it was all Laminar, the behaviors wouldn't vary between add-on aircraft. The TBM has Landing Field Elevation buttons in the same place that the Fuel keys would normally be, so clearly different from a generic G1000.  

14 hours ago, Wyskass said:

So maybe check with other customers, or run a test myself to get more context.

With a customer base as large as the TBM, there's no need. It's big enough to be yelled at when something is wrong or out of ordinary. Goran has given you an answer. You need to accept that answer. He and I both are constantly in contact with customers enough to be in tune with any issues.

15 hours ago, Wyskass said:

so clearly different from a generic G1000.  

This is simply a misunderstanding on your part based on the fact you don't understand how the X-Plane SDK works, or in this case, how the G1000 code to drive differing commands like this works. It's not worth getting into, because the reasoning or explanation won't change anything. But, "clearly different" is incorrect.

If your flight plan calls for you to commence descent then you’ll see a small white circle on your flight path indicating top of descent. For the aircraft to descend, you have to do one of two things; either hand fly it or tell the autopilot to descend and to do this you need to ensure that you have selected the lower altitude, the leg is activated and VNAV is selected. 

@Wyskass Did you set FL300 as your cruise at any point?  Set the cruise alt so it displays in "blue".  Or did you just set 14000 as your target alt?  I've noticed over the years of flying the TBM (and other G1000 aircraft) that if you don't configure the flight plan in this way often you will experience exactly what you describe.  Various TOD alerts.  As the aircraft climbs and descends a bit at cruise.  I don't pay them any mind as the ACTUAL TOD will appear at the proper time and all is well.  Close enough to reality for me.  Haven't you noticed this?

• Like 1

To answer the first question, I was not arming VNV as seen in the screenshot, just entering altitudes in the plan. Then was erroneously getting warnings that TOD is coming soon.

Got back to flying the TBM again under IFR on Pilot Edge and haven't been seeing this behavior anymore, or maybe just learned to ignore it. It doesn't affect functioning, just a false message.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, oldflyguy said:

@Wyskass Did you set FL300 as your cruise at any point?  Set the cruise alt so it displays in "blue".  Or did you just set 14000 as your target alt?  I've noticed over the years of flying the TBM (and other G1000 aircraft) that if you don't configure the flight plan in this way often you will experience exactly what you describe.  Various TOD alerts.  As the aircraft climbs and descends a bit at cruise.  I don't pay them any mind as the ACTUAL TOD will appear at the proper time and all is well.  Close enough to reality for me.  Haven't you noticed this?

I think what you describe might be the situation. I am now setting cruise altitudes in flight plans, but from fms imports. They are showing white, and then I set some constraints for arrivals or airport elevations for visual descent guidance. 

And yes, this was never causing any actual navigation problems, just announcing flashing TOD in one minute for some time, then I think going away. Just a distraction, but still shouldn't happen.

Thanks!

Edited by Wyskass